Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #1351
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysail View Post
Hey everybody, Iv been wanting a klr for many many years now. My question is, do kawasaki dealers trade in motorcycles? My grandpa gave me his 2007 vstar with less that 3000 miles on it because he can no longer ride it. Id like to swap it out to a new klr.
Sure...any dealer will accept a trade at a low enough cost.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #1352
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Hey everybody, Iv been wanting a klr for many many years now. My question is, do kawasaki dealers trade in motorcycles? My grandpa gave me his 2007 vstar with less that 3000 miles on it because he can no longer ride it. Id like to swap it out to a new klr.
Any dealer WILL do this, they'll also rape you in the process.

Sell that cruiser on CL and get your KLR there too!

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #1353
Snypercell
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
I saw a new, beautiful black 2012 today at my local dealer.... I want. GL!
Snypercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #1354
okieinoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
2008 kawsaki klr 650(kick stand)

I just bought 2007 KLR650(build date December 2007...new style klr)...I had a 1987 klr 650 I sold last year and wanted to get something different but ended up getting another KLR.??? The bike has been really used...42,000Ks and heaps of scratches and cracks on lower fairing. It has a Lexx after market exhaust which sounds great and the bike runs great...so far. When I bought it had a bad short and kept bowing the main fuse...I found the wire that had been rub through and fix that. I road it for the first time 2 days ago...went to service station to fill tank...came out after paying and the bike was resting on the ground...lazy thing...broke front brake lever and rear blinker. I know my last klr side stand wasn't the best but this thing really stands up very straight...looks like a strong sneeze would knock it over...Does anyone else have this problem or is my klr special...has anyone shortened the side stand? What about centre stand...better? Oh and while inspecting the front wheel I found it has been damaged...out of round and bent a little...I will see if fix able or needs replaced next week. I will doo the do later also...love it so far...much better then the 1987...sounds great...hope to get all sorted soon and head around oz...well if it ever stops raining so much...maybe a boat would be better.... Great thread.
Be safe and have fun...enjoy life...cheers.
okieinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #1355
jknight611
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Thumb Studdering KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Looks like the recommended pilot screw setting for aftermarket exhaust is 2.5 turns out. Might try that with your modded exhaust and intake.
Thanks guys! I noticed the problem got more pronounced when I installed a new Uni filter, guess it is more "free flowing" than the 4000 mile stocker. My screw is not quite at the 2.5 turn so I'll give that a try this morning and see. Thanks guys, this is a great forum, the best!!

Jay
The middle coast!
jknight611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #1356
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Sorry skysail, you were hijacked! Of course the dealer will "take your old bike off your hands". Like has been said it is a high price for convenience when you could sell and buy privately. OK, back to the previously hijacked thread.......
Old 03-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #1357
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,829
The fuel screw affects the pilot circuit, dominating air/fuel mixture only around idle rpm, IMHO. Beyond about 1/4 throttle opening, the needle jet/needle begin dominating mixture, almost totally controlled by the main jet at WOT (wide-open throttle); leastwise, that's what this treatise says: http://www.gadgetjq.com/keihin_carb.htm

Fuel screw adjustment has its place, but--expecting this adjustment to affect profoundly carburetor operation from idle to redline (as some do) over-reaches, seems to me; YMMV!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #1358
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
The fuel screw affects the pilot circuit, dominating air/fuel mixture only around idle rpm, IMHO. Beyond about 1/4 throttle opening, the needle jet/needle begin dominating mixture, almost totally controlled by the main jet at WOT (wide-open throttle); leastwise, that's what this treatise says: http://www.gadgetjq.com/keihin_carb.htm

Fuel screw adjustment has its place, but--expecting this adjustment to affect profoundly carburetor operation from idle to redline (as some do) over-reaches, seems to me; YMMV!
You are correct sir! Another interesting fact with the CVK carb. In the old days you'd open up your choke to richen the overall A/F. First the CVK does not have a choke but an enrichener circuit and 2nd at anything over 1/2 throttle you actually lean the mixture. Wideband O2 sensors take all the guessing out.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #1359
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieinoz View Post
I just bought 2007 KLR650(build date December 2007...new style klr)...
Wouldn't that be an '08 ?
Murphy Slaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #1360
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Wouldn't that be an '08 ?
While in the US market I'd expect so, but the AUSTRALIAN marketing and model-year designation my differ from that of KMC-USA, Murphy Slaw.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #1361
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieinoz View Post
.................................................. ........
I road it for the first time 2 days ago...went to service station to fill tank...came out after paying and the bike was resting on the ground...lazy thing...broke front brake lever and rear blinker. I know my last klr side stand wasn't the best but this thing really stands up very straight...looks like a strong sneeze would knock it over...Does anyone else have this problem or is my klr special...has anyone shortened the side stand? What about centre stand...better?
cheers.

It sounds as if someone might have lowered the bike, which would cause the side stand to be too long. Take a look at the suspension linkage and see if it looks stock or aftermarket. That should tell you what you need to know about that. It is unlikely it was lowered by shortening the rear shock. If lowered, then a centerstand will not work properly because they too are set up for a stock height. You can either raise it back to stock or have the sidestand shortened by a welder.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #1362
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
My 08 doesn't want to lean over very far either. I kind of like it better this way instead of too far. Just have to watch where you put it down.
I installed a taller rear tire (for lower highway rpms, and I'm tall) and that helped a lot.
But check and see if lowered as well.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #1363
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
If lowered, then a centerstand will not work properly because they too are set up for a stock height.
Unless, perhaps, one installs an ADJUSTABLE-HEIGHT center stand, like Happy Trails' product.

http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Ce...d-KLR650E.aspx

XDragRacer screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 06:58 AM
Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #1364
<RP><
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
While in the US market I'd expect so, but the AUSTRALIAN marketing and model-year designation my differ from that of KMC-USA, Murphy Slaw.
Anything vehicle-wise manufactured June or after is the next year model. So a bike made on 12/07 would be an 08 year model. Clear as mud? Check the 10th digit on the VIN number, it'll show the true year model.
<RP>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #1365
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
In Australia as well as Europe and even South Africa we don't go by model years. A vehicle is dated by the first time it is registered for traffic.
You find 2007 Gen 2 KLRs in mentioned areas.

A left over 2010 bike first plated/registered in 2012 is a 2012 bike.
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote