Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #1381
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
Nope.

It takes some machining, some fitting of new bearings, etc., to get that scenario to work. Likely your best option is to get an extra set of stock wheels and have them laced up with whatever sizes you're interested in. That costs big bucks, too. Sadly there's no cheap-n-easy solution.
Or, get another set of wheels and put 90/10 tires on them. Try Conti- Trail Attack's
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #1382
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight611 View Post
Hi all, my 09 KLR has a bit of a studder at 3800 to 4100 RPM. I have the stock exhaust with the tweeter removed, Uni air filter, I have drilled the slide and the air screw is set at 2 1/4 turns out and one thin Al washer under the needle. Feels like a slight "lean hunt." Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jay
on the middle coast
My 1995 with a 705 kit does the same. I'm installing a Leo Vince exhaust and jd jet kit in a bit. I hope that stumble goes away
Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #1383
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Or, get another set of wheels and put 90/10 tires on them. Try Conti- Trail Attack's

That'll work, too. I run Shinko 705's on my stock wheels and have no trouble harassing much more capable bikes on twisty roads. Of course, once they hit a straightaway...................................... ...........

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #1384
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,642
Uni-Track Lever Installation

All -- I removed the Unirack linkage from my 05 KLR to lube the bearings and the like -- installed the zerks, everything is coming along nicely, untill I attempt to install the lever into the fame . . . . "tapping" it with any hammer I am capable of lifting is no help --

seems the sleeve that sliding into the bearings is actually a lil longer than the space allocated in the frame, as if the frame had collapsed slightly -- I've got the sleeve in the freezer as we speak, but an not certainly that will shrink the lil dear enough . . . . .

any hints, gents?
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #1385
Aarono2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
All -- I removed the Unirack linkage from my 05 KLR to lube the bearings and the like -- installed the zerks, everything is coming along nicely, untill I attempt to install the lever into the fame . . . . "tapping" it with any hammer I am capable of lifting is no help --

seems the sleeve that sliding into the bearings is actually a lil longer than the space allocated in the frame, as if the frame had collapsed slightly -- I've got the sleeve in the freezer as we speak, but an not certainly that will shrink the lil dear enough . . . . .

any hints, gents?
I replied to your other post. But again.....just loosen the rear most bolt that goes through the frame and motor.
Aarono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #1386
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarono2 View Post
I replied to your other post. But again.....just loosen the rear most bolt that goes through the frame and motor.
And you might want to loosen the swing arm pivot bolt too.

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #1387
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,778
Follow up to my "pinging" issue...

Seems it has been resolved and looks like it was a rattle of sorts. It was either the relay I found laying against the back of the instrument cluster behind the fairing but not as likely as the heat sheild on the header pipe. I tweaked them both at the same time. I can get the rattle to occur but I really have to work at it now and at a higher rpm. Sooo glad this is resolved, just some fine tuning now to eliminate it completely. Final carb settings are: idle mixture screw at 1 7/8 turns out, 45 pilot jet and 150 main jet, stock needle with approx. .035 shim and I'm happy with how she runs. Here I am testing things out,

Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #1388
SUPERPOWERPHIL
sounds like a plan..

Oddometer: 26
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post18192842

help me out guys, read on and keep an eye out for a set. Finders fee, A can of Pure Canadian Maple Syrup!

Thanks,

Phil

The end of the road is just the begining.
SUPERPOWERPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #1389
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,584
Chinese Battery Slap-Down

Things had been looking like this recently:

Yesterday, temps went over 50 degrees, and the roads outside of Mirkwood were mostly dry. I pointed the KLR toward the Canadian border.

What a great day! I stopped to visit a friend at the border, had lunch, and pointed back.

Lake Willoughby was still frozen. Although the ice shacks were off the ice, people were still fishing.

The parking lot was a swamp. . .

Hopping back on the bike, I was shocked to find no lights, no spark, nada. I'd replaced the battery recently with a "bargain" AGM battery from Ebay, so I was fairly confident that that wasn't the issue. However, I couldn't find anything else in the field that was an issue.

Luckily, a friend was able to give me a ride to get my trailer, and the bike made it back to the garage with a minimum of fuss. I connected the charger to the brand-new battery -- nothing. I tested it -- stone dead.

After popping the 5+ year-old Yuasa that I'd kept as a spare back in, the bike came to life instantly.

I learned a good lesson, to be sure. Luckily, I was on the main road, not far from home. If I'd been further out in the bush, it could have become a serious issue. I think I'm all done with "bargain" batteries. I will replace the Yuasa, but I'm going to look for a name-brand, reliable unit this time.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 09:04 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #1390
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Hopping back on the bike, I was shocked to find no lights, no spark, nada. I'd replaced the battery recently with a "bargain" AGM battery from Ebay, so I was fairly confident that that wasn't the issue.

I learned a good lesson, to be sure. Luckily, I was on the main road, not far from home. If I'd been further out in the bush, it could have become a serious issue. I think I'm all done with "bargain" batteries. I will replace the Yuasa, but I'm going to look for a name-brand, reliable unit this time.

Money well spent. Going on 5 years with never an issue. The old adage is true "you get what you pay for" !

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/appl...otorcycles.htm

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #1391
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERPOWERPHIL View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post18192842

help me out guys, read on and keep an eye out for a set. Finders fee, A can of Pure Canadian Maple Syrup!

Thanks,

Phil
There are plenty of KLR wheels on eBay all the time.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #1392
Snypercell
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
That'll work, too. I run Shinko 705's on my stock wheels and have no trouble harassing much more capable bikes on twisty roads. Of course, once they hit a straightaway...................................... ...........
Agreed. I'd like to try the Trail Attacks, but for the price the Shinkos are irresistible.
Snypercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #1393
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snypercell View Post
Agreed. I'd like to try the Trail Attacks, but for the price the Shinkos are irresistible.
Shinkos work. Good tires for the dollar.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #1394
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Busted petcock

I was changing my fuel line today, when the barbed fitting that the fuel line attaches to on the petcock pulled out completely!

It appears that it is simply a press fit ?

Anyone have any luck fitting this hose barb back into the petcock?
How about carefully applying some JB weld?

Thanks
Glen
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #1395
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
The Shinko 705's are great on the street!

Take a look at tristate battery. The carry Deka batteries which work very well. I have them in two of my bikes. Great terminals.