Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #1441
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I just bought one off that auction sight for a rusty backup tank I bought off craigslist.
Try looking over there.
I don't think the petcock I bought would fit yours as it's for 2007 and earlier tanks.
If it is the same petcock and you have trouble finding one, I can sell you this one.
After all, I won't be using it since the tank I bought was only a backup tank in case I mess my tank up.
And even then, I could take the petcock from my tank if it doesn't get damaged and put it on the backup tank.
I just went on that auction site and found a brand new on off res gravity for $29.99 with free shipping. Eagle mikes was going to be $32 with shipping. Oh well, I tried him first but had to go elsewhere.
NHMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #1442
Aarono2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
IIRC, someone told me the petcock off a 660 Raptor was a direct swap. Check it out first but I am pretty sure that is what it was. Good luck!

Yup. That's what I'm using.
Aarono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #1443
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
IIRC, someone told me the petcock off a 660 Raptor was a direct swap. Check it out first but I am pretty sure that is what it was. Good luck!
That's what I'm using also.

I chose a 660 Raptor ATV year at random from the list of years on the Ron Ayers web site.

The 660 petcock has a shorter main intake (i.e. less reserve capacity) so I lengthened the main intake with slip-fit brass tubes from the hobby shop. Glued with "Seal-all" chemical-resistant glue.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #1444
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,351
What are you guys running for air pressure in the T63's? mixed surface but mostly paved.

I have always run 35ish with MEFO's
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #1445
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
What are you guys running for air pressure in the T63's? mixed surface but mostly paved.

i run 32 in front...34 in rear. if i was going to spend all day in the dirt i would probably go 28 front 30 rear...i dont have my bead locks installed yet or i would maybe go a bit lower. these numbers are for a fully loaded bike. 170 lb rider btw.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #1446
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Just received these today. These are the flowbench #'s for my head I had ported and oversized valves.... The top graph is ported head, the bottom graph is with 1mm oversized valves...
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #1447
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Need help ASAP

I think I screwed up big time tonight. I have been commuting 25 miles to work every day and usually check my oil as often as I can. I have an 08 that has only 5000 miles on it but it has had a rough life sitting outdoors due to no garage. Anyways, I totally forgot about checking the oil this week when I filled up with fuel. I left work tonight and had no issue's. I ride on highways the whole way so I can't hear noises that great. I pull off my exit and stop at the red light and hear a ticking noise. The bike stalls and cranks back over REALLY hard and finally starts back up. I limp to the gas station and ended up putting in.......please don't hate me...... 2 quarts to bring it back up to full. It started up easy again but still has the ticking noise when running. Speeds up when I give it throttle and slows down when it idles. Valves must be ****ed. What do I have to do now to get it back to like new condition? I see the 685 kit but that doesn't help the valve issue. This is my only vehicle right now so I need help asap.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #1448
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Men say typical catastrophic oil-starvation involves trashing the machined camshaft journal surfaces in the head . . . probably would require examination to determine if this is the case . . . most expeditious repair mentioned in this instance is head replacement, camshaft(s), also, if necessary.

More optimistic outcomes may be possible (a "ticking noise" might result from the greater catastrophe). Hope the problem's easily diagnosed and corrected..
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #1449
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

What would I need to do if the worst case scenario is true? I am trying to get an idea of what I need to order. Am I better off buying a whole new head for $700 and just bolt it up and go or are there easier options?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #1450
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
What would I need to do if the worst case scenario is true? I am trying to get an idea of what I need to order. Am I better off buying a whole new head for $700 and just bolt it up and go or are there easier options?
You need to pull the valve cover first....worse case your $700 option is best. Though you'll need piston/rings as well at min.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #1451
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Well with having to add 2 quarts you may have more than just upper end problems. Your oil also lubes your trans and clutch, and crank bearings. Hope it is not any of the latter problems.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #1452
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 781
If it turns out to be as bad as all this "worst case" scenario, I think your best bet is just buying a used motor off ebay. I have at times seen them for about $500 or so, with probably $75 in shipping. Would be cheaper than just the head, not to mention piston and all the other stuff that could have been messed up in there.

But, that is my opinion of the worst case. Take it apart and see what you can see, or post up pics.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #1453
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,459
Trun Signal T'shooting

Gents

I've got an 05 KLR650, equipped with an Afrika Light Switch Assembly (allows the head and tail lights to be turned off).

I have no turn signals whatsoever -- thehy do not come on when the switch is activated.

I'm preparing to dig into the scoot, but want to know if there's a common failure mode for the signals on these beasties (new to KLRs, not to bikes or wrenching)..

Thanks!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #1454
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post

25-ish both ends
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #1455
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

I started pulling my bike apart and noticed the spark plug was really loose so I had a .01% chance of hope. I tightened it back down and fired her back up. Tick still there. Removed all of the parts in the way of the valve cover and took it off. I am not a crack mechanic but even I can tell it was bad. Exhaust cam on right side is toast. The other side of exhaust cam looks ok but that really doesn't matter. The other cam is stil in good shape so that is somewhat good news. Journal on the head is toast. Break the bad news to me. What do you think the cost will be? should I do a 685 also because of chance of damage to piston? Keep in mind I need the cheapest way out of this. Have a look.