Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #91
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by CessPool View Post
I had to go check... I've got the 110/90 - 19
Copy that.

The 110/90 is just a wee bit wider than the 100/90, which esp. once worn slightly, should give a slightly larger patch on the ground.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #92
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Wait...what??? 50,000 miles on your front tire?? Which tire are you using??? I went back through the thread but missed what tire you are using.
He, he..I meant the Dynabeads....they've been transferred (re-used) from tire to tire...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #93
GregPoole
Gnarly Coot

Oddometer: 345
Do you use them in the car tires on your hack and pusher tires as well? Or just in the front tire?
GregPoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #94
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,832
Quote:
Do you use them in the car tires on your hack and pusher tires as well? Or just in the front tire?
I would guess that those who would use the beads would use them in everything and prolly use them to sweeten their cornflakes too!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #95
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Used DynaBeads in all my previous moto tires, two wheeled then three wheeled. When traveling and having to change tires on the road...balancing them was an issue thus DynaBeads!

Transfering/re-using the DynaBeads to new tires is indeed an Adventure ...don't want to be Adventurous then carry extra tubes of "new" DynaBeads> $$$.

When I changed to car tires used it only in the front moto tire(Tourance) ....where the problem usually lies. Have no need to use them in the car tires yet.
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #96
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Put the ME 880 110/90H19 on my front about 1K miles ago.
Have not seen any significant signs of wear yet.
Low speed wobble is present only when I don't have ballast in the car.
And the wobble is bad but manageable.
One more reason to have a passenger...or at least a bag of cement.

I haven't used Dana Beads in my tires.
I use Ride-On.
Won't balance on the fly like the beads and a bit more messy when changing a tire.
But after suffering a blowout at 70+mph, I will deal with the mess.
Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #97
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,544
I used Air Soft pellets one time on my old GS. They were cheap & they worked, but man, they were everywhere when tire change time came around. When I popped the bead, I used a small hand vacuum to suck the ones that weren't all over the floor out of the tire. Only did it once.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #98
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post
Mine actually start getting squared off around 8 or 9 thousand miles. I haven't done any steering mods on mine either but I really don't mind the low speed wobble.

You might run a little less pressure in the front too.
I wouldn't recommend running lower pressure as a way to try to get rid of a low-speed wobble.
Running lower pressure will seriously affect treadwear, and not for the better.

Here is what my Front ME880 looked like after about 5,500 miles when I got home from the Lake Tahoe Sidecar National rally. It was put onto the rig brand new the week before leaving for the rally.
Of course, that is also without steering mods on a "slightly" heavier outfit than Dana's, and after crossing the desert and having a bit of fun in more than a couple of mountain passes...

Yes, that is the inner carcass rubber showing through in the center of the tread area. Not very many miles away from showing cords...

So if you are getting the kind of mileage that you are reporting, you should be very happy.
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #99
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Used DynaBeads in all my previous moto tires, two wheeled then three wheeled. When traveling and having to change tires on the road...balancing them was an issue thus DynaBeads!

Transfering/re-using the DynaBeads to new tires is indeed an Adventure ...don't want to be Adventurous then carry extra tubes of "new" DynaBeads> $$$.

When I changed to car tires used it only in the front moto tire(Tourance) ....where the problem usually lies. Have no need to use them in the car tires yet.
I have been using balancing beads inside of the tires on all of my vehicles for years, and yes doubting thomas's they DO work.
(Ask the mechanical engineer who has seen dynamic balancing media used in rotating machinery for many-many years...)

When traveling all you really need to do is bring along a paper cup, one of those folding paper funnels, and a couple of feet of 1/4" I.D. tubing.

When you change the tire (like I just did earlier this week to install the summer front tire) remove the first bead and then use a small paper or plastic cup to scoop out the beads. You could even use one of the folding paper funnels with the bottom folded over to close it off...
You can then use the paper funnel to transfer the beads into the tubing (make sure you have the bottom end plugged with a piece of dowel rod or something first, or they will just pour out the bottom!).
Then you remove the valve core from the tire after reseating the tire to the rim and slip the tubing onto the valve stem to pour the beads back into the tire.

Simple really!

-----

When I get my pusher and sidecar tire changed at the local tire shops they are familiar with "dynabeads" and have no problem with scooping them out of the old tire and pouring them into the new one before they remount it. Usually with no extra charge.

If your have tubes in your tires, no problem. The tube contains the beads.
And in case of a blow-out which scatters your beads, I carry an extra three ounces in a small pill bottle with the rest of my spares. Takes up almost no space and the pill bottle is waterproof and has a childproof cap so it won't accidently open and spill beads everywhere.

-----

btw - I used to recommend the "dynabeads" brand, but after some time (and interactions with the company) discovered that the owner of that business basically ripped off the idea from the place he used to work for and started out on his own with a slightly different (but not better) product.

The original product in the market for this application is "CounterAct"
{They hold a patent and guarantee they won't damage your tire pressure monitoring system. Ask dynabeads for that guarantee...}
http://www.tirebalancingbeads.com/mo...eel-balancing/

The CounterAct beads hold a static charge so that they "stick" lightly to the inside of the tire, even when it comes to a complete stop. Therefore you don't need to wait for the wheel to come up to speed for the beads to redistribute each time you stop/start. That is a bonus for low-speed balance from a stop.

And CounterAct bead kits come with an applicator bottle that would be easy to pack along on a hack for transfer of the beads for en-route tire changes/service.

Also, CounterAct even offers a 'Trike' kit, which would be perfect for someone with a rig, especially if you have car tires on the pusher and sidecar, since they generally require the extra ounce of weight (3oz.).

-----

Anyway, that is my experience/opinion. YMMV.
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #100
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWzenrider View Post
I wouldn't recommend running lower pressure as a way to try to get rid of a low-speed wobble.
Running lower pressure will seriously affect treadwear, and not for the better.

Here is what my Front ME880 looked like after about 5,500 miles when I got home from the Lake Tahoe Sidecar National rally. It was put onto the rig brand new the week before leaving for the rally.
Of course, that is also without steering mods on a "slightly" heavier outfit than Dana's, and after crossing the desert and having a bit of fun in more than a couple of mountain passes...

Yes, that is the inner carcass rubber showing through in the center of the tread area. Not very many miles away from showing cords...

So if you are getting the kind of mileage that you are reporting, you should be very happy.
I figure since the plate on the rear of my GS says the tire pressure should be between 2.2 Bar (31 psi) and 2.9 Bar (42 psi) depending on loading and tire type and the ME880 Marathon on the front says "do not exceed 42 psi cold" on the sidewall then I should have a fair bit of room to experiment with. I generally run at 42 psi since as I said it turns a bit easier but I do get a little more headshake at around 20 mph while decelerating. If I drop the pressure down to 36 psi the headshake pretty much goes away but slow speed steering is a little harder. At the higher pressure, 42 psi, I changed the 110/90 - 19 ME880 Marathon out at around 14,000. I was getting around 8,000 miles out of the stock Tourance on the front but I probably do a lot more dirt riding with mine than you do also. Interstate speed limits are 75 out here with a few places that are 80 and I have no problem getting the chair up in the canyons in Utah and Arizona at 75 on the Interstate.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #101
outfit
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
I used Air Soft pellets one time on my old GS. They were cheap & they worked, but man, they were everywhere when tire change time came around. When I popped the bead, I used a small hand vacuum to suck the ones that weren't all over the floor out of the tire. Only did it once.
I like the last bit
outfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #102
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,181
Great Stuff Here!
Nice to read so many different tire experiences / arrangements.

BMW R100S w/ a modified (dual disc) BMW Earls fork and a Jupiter sidecar.

I've been toying with different tires / pressures / arrangements since I got into sidecars. I had a pair of 18 inch "Michelin "K-Blocks" sitting for a few years so installed them this winter for a 1500 mile (very loaded) trip. The rear K-block probably had a thousand miles or so on it prior to installation. Went with a 19" Avon sidecar tire on the front leading link. After some pretty spirited mountain twisty riding, the rear K-Block tread vanished in about 1000 miles. I guess I was expecting more miles out of the K-Block tire.
The other tires aren't showing any wear to speak off.
In a bind in L.A. I ended up mounting the only 110/90 - 18" I could find...a trials type Dunlop tire with more aggressive tread. So far that tire is wearing well, showing no wear at over 1000 miles...so maybe the trails type tire might be a good way to go.
I've typically used up a rear tire at 2000 miles and the front / sidecar around 4000 miles, but never have run a tire to the point any cords were showing. I always run tires at the maximum pressure. When touring we run very heavy.
A few years back I went to cheaper, harder rubber tires and did gain some mileage from them. The softer, high end tires seem to wear very quickly.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 10:07 AM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #103
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,544
Avon Safety Mileage

I don't currently own a hack, but my last one was a BMW R100/7 with a California Sidecar Company sidecar. I was running an Avon Sidecar Triple Duty up front with a Heddingham leading link front-end, but if I had another outfit I'd try an Avon Safety Mileage MkII in 4.00 X 19 - they start off pretty flat in profile and only get more so with age.

The Avon sidecar tire wore OK but it was pretty easy to slide it in aggressive left-handers.
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #104
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
Avon Safety Mileage MkII in 4.00 X 19 - they start off pretty flat in profile and only get more so with age.
I will keep this in mind for my next front replacement.
The ME 880 is doing quite well.
Gonna see how it works in the wet stuff today.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #105
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,407
8000-mile update on the K60 Scout

An update on my Heidenau K60 Scout. (Here's a link to my earlier post in this thread.) Just returned from another camping trip. My Scout now has 8000 miles and IMO it's in its prime! Yes, it's getting close to being smoked, but these are the best miles!

Look at the huge squared off contact patch. Great traction! There's still enough center tread for siping in the rain, and the big lugs on the shoulders still give me good steering grip on gravel.

The handling on this last trip was just fabulous. Very little understeer. Lots of dry pavement, half a day of wet pavement, and a couple of hundred miles of dry gravel roads kinda like this--

For the record, no mud, no wet gravel, no sand. (Not my thing!)

Also, for the record, I use Ride-On tire sealant, I keep the front tire a little on the soft side -- about 30 psi (26 PSI during the 1st 2,000 miles in order to get it to square off a little sooner), and my rig loaded for camping with Kirby as my monkee the weight on the front tire is about 400 lbs.

I'm ordering another K60 so I'll be ready to mount it when this one gives up which I'm guessing will be around the 10,000 mile mark