Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post
So with chains...stuck 50 ft further down the road.
Without chains, well...you already know that story.

Just busting your chops a bit.
Looks like you have a lot of fun in the snow, with your 2WD and REVERSE!
Like you said, the right tool for the right job.
Enjoy.
My theory is that 2wd, studs, and chains are to make difficult conditions that are within a Urals capabilities easy and enjoyable. Yup, that's my Theory.

Then I go riding with Dave, and end up digging, winching and wrestling the rig. As a matter of fact, the first time I went snow riding with him, we winched the rigs across avalanche debris covering a trail.

I'm a slow learner, and he is a bad influence.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Your posts are convincing me to wait until I find a 2wd for my next Ural. My area looks like your pictures for about 5 months of the year. Thanks for sharing your adventure.
Tom
Howdy Tom,

Seriously, if the Ural didn't have two wheel drive and reverse, I wouldn't have bought one. There are other bikes out there with more power, better design, better quality but there are NONE that come out of the box built to do the crazy stuff that I enjoy like the Ural does. Its really just that simple.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #18
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Tom,

Seriously, if the Ural didn't have two wheel drive and reverse, I wouldn't have bought one. There are other bikes out there with more power, better design, better quality but there are NONE that come out of the box built to do the crazy stuff that I enjoy like the Ural does. Its really just that simple.
I bought a beautiful olive 97 1wd this spring when I saw it on CL too cheap. I've had dozens of bikes, but never a hack before. I was happily surprised when my wife of 25 years liked it, but I felt it just wasn't riding. (My regular bike is an FJR). After reading too many horror stories about older Urals I sold it at a nice profit and bought a GL1800. Dumb move. My wife has difficulty climbing on and her favorite riding is seasonal roads. In spite of a custom seat and peg lowering brackets, she is very uncomfortable on the FJR so she only rides on the Wing. We've surprised more than a few dualsporters as we ride on rocky dirt roads on the 1800. Next spring the GL goes and I hope to find a 2003+ 2wd Ural by then. We will both be happier and I will blame you.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #19
smelick
Once you hack...

Oddometer: 76
Maybe a Ural plow is in order! Do you think having ballast in the sidecar would help or only hinder the floating in the deep snow?

-Scott
smelick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #20
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I bought a beautiful olive 97 1wd this spring when I saw it on CL too cheap. I've had dozens of bikes, but never a hack before. I was happily surprised when my wife of 25 years liked it, but I felt it just wasn't riding. (My regular bike is an FJR). After reading too many horror stories about older Urals I sold it at a nice profit and bought a GL1800. Dumb move. My wife has difficulty climbing on and her favorite riding is seasonal roads. In spite of a custom seat and peg lowering brackets, she is very uncomfortable on the FJR so she only rides on the Wing. We've surprised more than a few dualsporters as we ride on rocky dirt roads on the 1800. Next spring the GL goes and I hope to find a 2003+ 2wd Ural by then. We will both be happier and I will blame you.
Howdy Tom,

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

I would advise NOT buying a Ural older then 2005, if you can afford it 2007, MAJOR changes were made in 2008. Buy as NEW a Ural as you can afford, the up grades are worth the money and its way cheaper to buy a newer Ural then it is to up grade an older one.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #21
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelick View Post
Maybe a Ural plow is in order! Do you think having ballast in the sidecar would help or only hinder the floating in the deep snow?

-Scott
Howdy Scott,

In this particular case, ballast would NOT have helped it would have made it harder. Weight, when climbing steep grades is a hindrance, the Ural is under powered so adding weight kills what little performance it already has. What stopped me on this ride was the hard-tall hump between the truck tracks, it lifted the sidecar so that I couldn't dig down to get traction.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #22
co_g30
Solo Rider

Oddometer: 324
Great pictures and ride report Mr Cob!

Back when I had my Ural Sportsman, I took it into similar situations, and yes, having a reverse gear is very nice.

I found I could pull it around by the front wheel if the snow was not too deep to get it turned around, but it sure took some effort!

I don't think my present rig would have gotten as far as you did.....well done!
co_g30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #23
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_g30 View Post
Great pictures and ride report Mr Cob!

Back when I had my Ural Sportsman, I took it into similar situations, and yes, having a reverse gear is very nice.

I found I could pull it around by the front wheel if the snow was not too deep to get it turned around, but it sure took some effort!

I don't think my present rig would have gotten as far as you did.....well done!
Howdy co_g30,

Today whilst turning around in the deep snow I sometimes had the rig in two wheel drive, sometimes in one wheel drive. When its in two wheel drive it is very hard to get it to turn sharply especially in deep snow, so I would put the rig in one wheel drive to get the front tire turned then put it in two wheel drive to power forward or backward a bit to get lined up for the next steering move. In this situation where I had a very narrow road to turn on, reverse was much more important then two wheel drive. Your Sportsman because of its full time two wheel drive may have been an easier rig to get turned then my rig which doesn't have a differential, then again maybe not, I have NO experience with a rig setup like the Sportsman.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #24
miggins11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Beautiful scenery and pictures Mr Cob. The World needs more mad men! And I mean that as a compliment!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:14 AM   #25
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,433
Hey Dave! Did your feet get cold?

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #26
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Greg,

I would NEVER attempt this sort of ride with my GS-Hack, NEVER. This is the kind of thing the Ural excels at, it may not be fast or pretty but it goes places others can only dream about. YES, I know some hi-tech German two wheel drive rig that costs five plus times what the Ural costs could probably do, I know I would like to be there when it tried.
ah.....
the MOBEC
yes....
i have drooled over them many a time

wish i'd been on a ural right next to you
an experience of a lifetime... no doubt
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #27
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,092
Did a search on MOBEC and found this. (I've never heard of a MOBEC before.)
http://mobec-international.com/range/duodrive/index.php
Wow. No words, just wow.
OK, words...how much...

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein

BeeMaa screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 07:12 AM
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:10 AM   #28
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

here is MOBEC...
some of the best rigs EVER made:
http://mobec-international.com/index2.php

DROOL AWAY...
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 11-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #29
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

here is the one after which i lust most often:
their DUODRIVE:

http://mobec-international.com/range/duodrive/index.php
Old 11-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #30
Norms 427
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I'm a slow learner, and he is a bad influence.
I think you both are a bad influence ... just my kind of bad.

Great thread, Mr. Cob ... keep 'em coming.
Norms 427 is offline   Reply With Quote