Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
Planning a trip there in June of 2012.
Same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
Use of this stuff is a must.

http://www.rangerpaint.com/
Gezz they don't have grey to match our bikes so it looks like we can't go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
I'll be doing the same trip at about the same time
We are too, we fly into Anchorage 3rd May 2012, faf round and put our bikes together after a sleep in or two.

Barb says she has a dodgy dungeon she can throw us into to set em up (heated grips ) then a coupla close to the safety tower rideby shake down/first 1000 km service runs then off to see Alaska and cause trouble then over to D2D.

Keep an eye out for us, we will be on two DR650s clad with a dutchie dude and chinese chick, our bikes will look like bumble bees
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #17
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Same!

Gezz they don't have grey to match our bikes so it looks like we can't go...

We are too, we fly into Anchorage 3rd May 2012, faf round and put our bikes together after a sleep in or two.

Barb says she has a dodgy dungeon she can throw us into to set em up (heated grips ) then a coupla close to the safety tower rideby shake down/first 1000 km service runs then off to see Alaska and cause trouble then over to D2D.

Keep an eye out for us, we will be on two DR650s clad with a dutchie dude and chinese chick, our bikes will look like bumble bees
We'll meet at D2D - I'll be the one on the bright orange Wee with the unmistakable jacket
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #18
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
We'll meet at D2D - I'll be the one on the bright orange Wee with the unmistakable jacket
Coolio ... we head up to Inuvik afta D2D before heading south for a few days.

Look forward to seeing the unmistakeable jacket
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,771
Quote:
I guess if I have to run streetable tires, the next question is which has the strongest carcass for puncture resistance? ME880 Marathons?
The legendary Dick Fish seemed to like the ME880's. That was the tire he was using when, during the 2001 Iron Butt Rally, he did the round trip from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and back in 18 hours. The road was much worse then than it is nowadays.

Two years later he did it on a GS-A with an ME880 on the front and a Tourance on the back.

But then... Dick was known to be able to ride just about anything, just about anywhere.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
Ullr
C+ Racing

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicflite View Post
Had TKC 80's on my GSA and now run the Heideneau k-60's
After taking severe damage on a impact insident the tire never lost air and took several hours riding back to a dealer in Tucson AZ from Mexico.

Prrof is in the pudding guys Heideneau's are a harder compound and you easily double your wear over the TKC 80's
I don't get any extra mileage out of a Heidenau over a TKC so I went back to a TKC for the rear. I love the Heidenau on the front though. It doesn't cup and no vibration.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #21
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 445
I wouldn't go with a Heidenau K60--rear lasted about 2000 miles, changed it in Faribanks, after being told that "I ran it incorrectly...". The 2nd K60 rear was gone in 2000 miles also.
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #22
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dick View Post
WHITEHORSE IS YOUR LAST CHANCE GOING NORTH????????

Do we forget Team Pterodactyl Canadian HQ, tires can be shipped here, can certainly be put on here, exchanged and new for this year, I am an official dealer for Heideneau tires or however you spell dat chit. I am not going to be stocking a range of tires but if you give me some lead time I can have them here ready to go.

Why go to Deadhorse when you can do the Dempster?, oh I forgot it's that American thing!
My Bad I had a old timers moment you so easy to forget about I did not realize you were stocking new tires now I do need to give you a call and talk to you about some stuff I have been thinking about for next year.
I have done it on Anakee with no problems but when it rains it will be like running on greased cat shit its not for the faint of hart knobies will just get you in alittle deeper but is no cure. Waiting for it to quit raining sometimes is the only sane answer.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog

friar mike screwed with this post 11-22-2011 at 08:51 PM
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #23
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
I wouldn't go with a Heidenau K60--rear lasted about 2000 miles, changed it in Faribanks, after being told that "I ran it incorrectly...". The 2nd K60 rear was gone in 2000 miles also.
That's strange - mine has over 13,000km on it and I figure I'll get another 5 - 7,000 km Pretty much everyone I know has had the same experience.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
beemerphile OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by friar mike View Post
Waiting for it to quit raining sometimes is the only sane answer.

My schedule won't allow for a whole lot of sanity. I'll either make it through or go ass-over-teakettle trying.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #25
AKBMW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
I heard one can line the tires with tennis balls.

09 R1200 ADV :)

2013 Prudhoe to Key West T2T (tip2tail)
AKBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #26
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 874
Tire Choices

What about Dunlop 606's for a lighter bike (KTM 525)?

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #27
cybrdyke
In the Dark

Oddometer: 295
I used Scorpion Trails on my Ulysses this summer on the trip up to Deadhorse. They did great in both wet & dry conditons. They also were excellent on the pavement before and after the Dalton.
cybrdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #28
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
My schedule won't allow for a whole lot of sanity. I'll either make it through or go ass-over-teakettle trying.
Do you have med jet or the like? you may need it many have with a schedule like that you see mother nature doesn't care about your schedule that road has sent many home on a stretcher sometimes you don't have a choice but to wait when it rains up there thats just that way it is. Seriously things like med jet or others are a good thing to have you hate to think about a wreak but it can happen the guys that I know it happened to sure were glad they had it.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog

friar mike screwed with this post 11-24-2011 at 12:56 AM
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #29
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by friar mike View Post
Do you have med jet or the like? you may need it many have with a schedule like that you see mother nature doesn't care about your schedule that road has sent many home on a stretcher sometimes you don't have a choice but to wait when it rains up there thats just that way it is. Seriously things like med jet or others are a good thing to have you hate to think about a wreak but it can happen the guys that I know it happened to sure were glad they had it.
Good advise. We spent 8 days up there last summer, and as I was working out an itinerary, I started out with BIG plans of all the places I wanted to go and see. Once I got The Milepost in my hands and started researching the distances and speed required to see em all, I knew it wouldn't make for much of a trip and could become outright dangerous and foolish. Years ago, a group of us used to travel together at break neck speed and just pass thru the enviroment...now we like to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. We ended up doing 2,300 miles in 7 driving days and all agreed that the trip was just about perfect. Questions for the locals...We rode the Denali on a Monday, rain and light fog pretty much all the way, saw only 3 other vehicles. How do the rode conditions on it compare to that of the haul road ?

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #30
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
Questions for the locals...We rode the Denali on a Monday, rain and light fog pretty much all the way, saw only 3 other vehicles. How do the rode conditions on it compare to that of the haul road ?
Not that much different overall, except that the Denali does not have the constant "maintenance", i.e. soaking the surface with thousands and thousands of gallons of water so the graders can rearrange the bumps, leaving a layer of usually slick, calcium chloride-enriched mud to ride through. And yet in its miles of gravel, the Haul Road does not have the miles and miles of washboard that the Denali has, probably due to the constant maintenance.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote