User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Sierra_Lima_Hotel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Road from Popayan to San Augustine COLOMBIA

I am in Buga, CO with my hubby, Red5 at the moment and we will be heading south, shortly. We'd like to stop by San Augustine and possibly Parque Nacional Purace where we can hike up to a large crater volcano.

Is anyone familiar with the direct road from Popayan to San Augustine that cuts through the park? Deep mud on steep slopes makes me nervous. Good gravel and packed dirt are okay. If you can let me know what you know, I'll owe you a cold one.

Cheers,
slh
Sierra_Lima_Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
KingsX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I've done it twice....

It's a pretty good road unless heavy rains, very pretty ride.
San Augustin is a nice little town, stop by and see Miller Bravo at Miler Motos in town, great mechanic and may have an apt or room for you...say hi from 006.5, agento secreto de la Honda Tornado de Costa Rica...he remembers me .

KingsX
KingsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Sierra_Lima_Hotel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thanks King. I think we'll give it a go despite being in the rainy season. Do you have any information on the Parque? Purace? I'm trying to find trail maps, but am stumped.

Cheers!
SLH

Sierra_Lima_Hotel screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 11:28 AM
Sierra_Lima_Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I rode that road in torrential rain, and it still wasn't that bad. There is very minimal traffic, so you should be fine. In San Augustin look for the Hotel Maya. They have rooms you can drive right into, they're cheap and clean, the owner is a longtime friend of a friend, and he makes AMAZING breakfasts for cheap. However, I would not suggest the road from Mocha to Pasto without something more than street tires if it's raining. I rode it, again, in torrential rain and crashed 3 times on the rocky and jutted sections. That might have more to do with my blown shock seal than anything else though.

I never use tour guides while traveling, but I used one for the ruinas/parque 5 min up the road from San Augustin, and it was the best few bucks I spent the entire trip. Ask for the guide that speaks 7 languages (there can't be more than one). He was an awesome tour guide/historian/local area travel guide/spanish teacher all wrapped into one. The ruins there were really impressive, historically not visually, once I understood their meaning.
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Willson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
It's a pretty good road unless heavy rains, very pretty ride.
San Augustin is a nice little town, stop by and see Miller Bravo at Miler Motos in town, great mechanic and may have an apt or room for you...say hi from 006.5, agento secreto de la Honda Tornado de Costa Rica...he remembers me .

KingsX
Spent a few days in San Augustin about 2 weeks ago and went to see Miller Motos (easy to find) for basic maintenance (valve check, change brake fluid ), was very helpful and efficient, gave me a good price too. He did even offer me a place to stay.
Highly recommended !
Willson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
If it rains that road can be as slick as snot I was going the other way and spun out without even doing a thing

Lots of construction going on as you near San Augustin that can turn in to a muddy mess this was back in early 2012. Fun road anyway with waterfalls and hotsprings along the way.