ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #4156
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dual Sport View Post
Mariana trench.
Correct. that is the name my Tillamook State Forest map called it when we rode it.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #4157
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650x View Post
Correct. that is the name my Tillamook State Forest map called it when we rode it.
Alan, I am sitting here, looking at my maps, confusing myself.

Your pics had reminded me of a place by Back-to-Back, but it didn't look quite right, so I disregarded it.

I couldn't find Marianna Trench on the map in my computer, but I did find Bates Rd, which looked about right for the place I was thinking.

I got out a newer, paper map, and found Marianna Trench, but it shows in the position of Back-to-Back on my older map. On the newer map Back-to-Back shows as connecting to the section now shown as Marianna Trench. And, the newer map still shows Bates Rd. in the same place as does the older map, the place I thought Marianna Trench might be.

I am getting more confusededer as I go.

The trail/road I was thinking of (Bates?) used to be a lot of fun, and eventually came out on Hwy 6. But, the last time I rode it, they had torn up a portion of it, and once I got through that section, the rest had been made into a gravel freeway.

Here is the torn up section. Did you come across anything like this after the trench section?

(Edit: I should mention these pics are six years old.)

Here is what they have done to the top, the section that had been really fun, fast, tight, curvy, lumpy two-track.

Did you come off University Falls Rd. to get onto Marianna Trench Trail? Did the entrance look anything like this?

Are you now as confused as I am?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962

MortimerSickle screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 10:46 AM
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #4158
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
After riding to the top of the trail known to us as Mariana Trench, we came to a very very steep down hill section. It was (at the time) the steepest down hill trail I had ever been on. At the bottom was a road/trail that turned to the right and took us out to the nearby two track road. If we would of kept going straight once we got to the bottom of the very steep hill, the trail went back up another very steep uphill. Since we did not ride up that steep uphill trail, I don't know where it would of came out.

BTW, the bottom of Mariana Trench was fairly close to the State Prison Camp and also close to where we parked/camped which was called Lyda's Camp or something like that. I don't have my map nearby and in my present condition am in no shape to go looking for it, so I can't be sure of the name of the place we camped. The trail was also single track.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #4159
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,250
Name the canyon I'm looking down into.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #4160
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Your description of very steep downhill, cross a road, and a very steep uphill perfectly describes Back-to-Back. Sounds like you came down this.

That pic was taken in 2007, when the trail was heavily wooded. It has since been clear cut, and looks altogether different.

I just now downloaded the latest map, and this trail is again labeled as Back-to-Back. The name "Marianna Trench" is gone again.

I'll have to get a new paper map, and see what it says. I need also to make a trip down there to see what whether any signs are posted.

The confusication continues.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 08-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #4161
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,249
It was also

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650x View Post
After riding to the top of the trail known to us as Mariana Trench, we came to a very very steep down hill section. It was (at the time) the steepest down hill trail I had ever been on. At the bottom was a road/trail that turned to the right and took us out to the nearby two track road. If we would of kept going straight once we got to the bottom of the very steep hill, the trail went back up another very steep uphill. Since we did not ride up that steep uphill trail, I don't know where it would of came out.

BTW, the bottom of Mariana Trench was fairly close to the State Prison Camp and also close to where we parked/camped which was called Lyda's Camp or something like that. I don't have my map nearby and in my present condition am in no shape to go looking for it, so I can't be sure of the name of the place we camped. The trail was also single track.
a few years ago, that's why the pics are not that great. I checked thumpertalk threads and 2012 post indicates it was recently reworked. (See below)

Ride, on 28 Nov 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:I bet with all this rain and wind. I don't ride browns or the east side much any more (ride diamond mill, Jordan and Hollywood areas mostly) but have a few times this year and funny to see all my old single track trails from when i was a kid are now quad highways. I get disoriented on redirected trails I used to know. "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Mariannas" has always been there, used to connect from the back side of back to back to the powerlines and then to the road going to prison camp staging area. Used to be a real bugger and was really hard to come up it. Will be interesting to see what they have done there. Back in the day we used to park right at the waterfall on the highway and ride up the back side to [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Mariannas and back to back. Just realized i have ridden this area for 35 years now. Seen a ton of changes. Good times.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Oh, and thanks again to [/background]Dave Hiatt for resurrecting the Diamond Mill / Jordon creek area. I had left it for dead and he has revived it.

TT thread link: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/993596-some-trees-down-on-tillamook-trails/
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #4162
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Thanks Katy, I think I know now where you are talking about. It must be that trail near Prison Camp that I have never had the nerve to try.

The one I am thing of could likely come out at Back-to-Back.

I guess I have a scouting trip coming up.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 08-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #4163
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dual Sport View Post

I don't know the answer; I just thought I should move your pic down here past all my research blather.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 08-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #4164
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,250
I'll start over.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #4165
Idarider