ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #481
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,408
Guess I was out of turn. Oops.

(yes, Alan. Mukilteo lighthouse taken from the Muk-Clinton ferry. I'll be there tomorrow night. By 4 wheels. )

Now back to finding the railroad.
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #482
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,886
sumptin sumptin Lighthouse Park,,
and you are standing on the hood of a Jeep Wrangler?

that's my guess,,
,,but I have whiskey!
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #483
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy-Z View Post
Guess I was out of turn. Oops.

(yes, Alan. Mukilteo lighthouse taken from the Muk-Clinton ferry. I'll be there tomorrow night. By 4 wheels. )

Now back to finding the railroad.
So hurry up and answer correctly so you win the next turn and then by default, I win the next turn after that. I have a really good on picked out.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #484
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,405
For crying out loud, this is the last time I try to bring anything of historical significance into this thread!

Peterman has the whiskey, I'm going to go hang with him!!!

Moody does not even have a zip code!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #485
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post

So lets try for two things just for fun, the name of the road (sorry Mort, no post office here) to this location and the name of the town at the North end of these tracks.
Freebridge, Wishram
Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #486
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
For crying out loud, this is the last time I try to bring anything of historical significance into this thread!

Peterman has the whiskey, I'm going to go hang with him!!!

Moody does not even have a zip code!
Ok, if it IS Freebridge.....and that is the Deschutes, the only thing at the north end of that railroad is the Columbia river. No town. There WAS a town....kinda.

Just trying to narrow it down.
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #487
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

650X gets to keep his turn and gets tons of points due to the fact that he's got the last two....

For the rest of you, AJ & EZ...

Wishram/Fallbridge as a rail center

The Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railway was chartered in 1905 by James J. Hill for the purposes of connecting the two transcontinental railroads owned by him, the Northern Pacific and Great Northern, to Portland, Oregon from Spokane, Washington, in order to gain a portion of the lumber trade in Oregon, a business that at the time was dominated by E.H. Harriman's Union Pacific and Southern Pacific railroads. Construction began in 1906[16] under the name Portland & Seattle Railway,[16][17] proceeding eastward from Vancouver, Washington.[18] 1906 also saw the start of construction of the line between Vancouver and Portland.[16] This railroad included the first bridge of any kind to be built across the lower Columbia River.[19]

Oregon Trunk Rail Bridge

Within a year, and despite legal challenges from Harriman, who wished to block its construction, the line had been built as far as Pasco, Washington along the Columbia River, where there was a connection with Northern Pacific lines. The first section to open was from Pasco west through Wishram to cliffs (near Maryhill), a length of 112 miles (180 km), on December 15, 1907.[20] Operation was extended west to Lyle, another 145 miles (233 km), on January 15, 1908, as construction continued on the 221-mile (356 km) section from there to Vancouver.[20]
The town of Wishram (then known as Fallbridge) was fortuitously situated at a location which made bridging the Columbia River relatively easy. It was possible to construct a bridge that had piers resting on normally exposed basalt rock above the water fall during low water periods such that during periods of high water, when this stretch of the Columbia River became raging rapids, the piers supported a bridge spanning the entire flood. This bridge over Celilo Falls became known as the Oregon Trunk Rail Bridge or the fallbridge. The location of this bridge also allowed construction of rail along the Deschutes River canyon, allowing access to eastern Oregon's high desert plateau and eastern Cascade Mountains.[21]
As a result, the SP&S was extended southward from Wishram, Washington toward Bend, Oregon. Hill and Harriman engaged in a head-to-head battle up the Des Chutes grade, with intense competition for any advantageous routing. After the competition reached what has been described as ridiculous levels, Hariman died in 1909 and an agreement that this extension was to be jointly operated with a Union Pacific subsidiary, the Oregon-Washington Railway & Navigation, was reached. This southern extension relied upon the Oregon Trunk Rail Bridge - the "fall bridge" - constructed just downstream of Wishram at the waterfall on the Columbia.[18] James J. Hill inaugurated this route, driving a golden spike in Bend in 1912. Fallbridge served as a passenger terminal, roundhouse and freight switch yard for traffic into Bend. Recognizing its central location, a 300-ton automatic coaling station was erected for the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railroad at Fallbridge in 1920.[22]
The name was officially changed to Wishram in 1926.[23] However, the name of Fallbridge continues to appear in various documents. In 1931 the official schedules for the railway used "Wishram (Fallbridge)" as the designation for the stop at Wishram.[24] The town still appears as Fallbridge in 1940 U.S. Army. Corps of Engineers port directories, [25] and in 1941 in standard textbooks.[26]
In 1931 the SP&S line to Bend was connected via Klamath Falls, Oregon to Bieber, California, providing a shortcut to connect with the Western Pacific Railroad in Northern California.[27]
Old 12-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #488
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Name this place

Bonus points if you can name the older gentleman wearing the hat in this next picture (also in the white tee shirt in the first picture)

Old 12-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #489
littlebull
tiny mighty mo

Oddometer: 320
No idea...

but it looks cool and I want to visit!
07' F650GS Dakar
littlebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #490
Used2BeFast2
Chupacabra Rider

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650x View Post
Name this place

Bonus points if you can name the older gentleman wearing the hat in this next picture (also in the white tee shirt in the first picture)

Harry Truman?

Cat herder....really!
Used2BeFast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #491
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Ok, so what did you do with the Humming bird feeder? And the horns over the cork board? And the notice on the board? Oh, and didn't Harry Truman have something like 16 cats? never heard about a dog. If it was Harry Truman, 650x is still looking pretty good considering St. Helens went up in 1980!

Also, the shadows in all the photos are different.

Hummmmm, Not Reds I don't think.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #492
calamari_kid
Ootmik

Oddometer: 118
Nah, Harry didn't wear glasses.

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson
calamari_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #493
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2BeFast2 View Post
Harry Truman?
No, not Harry Truman.

Am leaving for work now so I won't be able to check back until this evening. If you still have not correctly guessed by then, will give some hints.

As CM correctly pointed out, the listed pictures were taken at different times. It is a common place to visit when in the area.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #494
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Yes, but what area! This could be in three states and I have not been to this spot but like littlebull said it looks like a nice place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650x View Post
No, not Harry Truman.

Am leaving for work now so I won't be able to check back until this evening. If you still have not correctly guessed by then, will give some hints.

As CM correctly pointed out, the listed pictures were taken at different times. It is a common place to visit when in the area.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #495
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,498
What? No answer yet and Steep thinks he's supposed to be at work.

Of course I don't have the answer either but I sure want to know. What really bugs me about some of these pictures is I remember seeing them a ride report at one time but which one.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote