ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #16
GreenOrange OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Import and export coordinates in a CSV, GPX, or KML format with iTunes file sharing
  • Email a CSV, GPX, or KML formatted list of coordinates to your friends
  • Export track history in a CSV format with iTunes file sharing
It seems a start. As far as I understand, you can create a list of waypoints and export it in the gpx format. Then you need to upload it in the Garmin device (first problem, I'd need to try) and create a route using the imported waypoints.
But: can this app use offline maps to create the waypoints?

One problem I didn't wrote about before: how can you send maps to the Garmin device, if needed? Yes, it's wise to upload every maps in advance, but the best would be to be able to upload everyting needed, in case of problems. But I'm asking too much now, ins't it?
GreenOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #17
GreenOrange OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyooper View Post
Just get an ASUS Eee Slate EP121...
For that price it's foul, but the idea to wait some win8 tablet is growing. But... I write another post...
Old 11-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #18
GreenOrange OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Found another:
Ramz, following your suggestion I reconsidered an android app I saw before. I read the user manual and It can be a solution: offline maps, route creation, gpx export!

This app is OruxMaps (http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html)

Why don't you buy an android tablet and try it?The Galaxy 8.9 seems very nice. Then you tell me if I can buy my own tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
(...) Even if it had the ability to send routes it might be worth it but not as it stands. It appears to be primarily for tracks recorded on your iPad and sharing location information.
So, usability apart, you don't think it's useful to create a list of waypoints in gpx format to sent to the Garmin device in a way still to understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i use a 60csx (it's rugged, waterproof and proven)
and currently have a 9" netbook w/ windows xp for mapsource route planning on the road. and would love to just bring this 7" android (no interest in the more technically-closed ipad system. andoid is way more open and customizable) tablet from samsung http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/gal...GT-P6210MAAXAR
for web access, google earth & routing work.
Wow, so you are in my exact condition: 60Csx, netbook and interest in a Galaxy tab. Ok, so YOU, not Ramz, could buy it and try Oruxmaps! Go, go, and tell me! Tomorrow, if possible.

GreenOrange screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 06:06 PM
Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOrange View Post
So, usability apart, you don't think it's useful to create a list of waypoints in gpx format to sent to the Garmin device in a way still to understand?
There is no iPad app that will transfer anything directly to a Garmin GPS. You still have to use a computer even if the waypoints are created on the iPad, so why bother. In addition, I rarely use waypoints other than the start and end ones, to create and shape routes as my units will accept routes without a re-calculation so via points are much better. That means BaseCamp or MapSource. As the OP stated, it's track management that's the quest here.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
thytum
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOrange View Post
Hello, is there anyone who can use a tablet to plan a trip and to transfer the track to a Garmin device? In other words: is there any way to do whit a tablet what I do with mapsource on a PC?
Even converting files from an app to the gpx format or in any other way, but is it possible?

Or do I have to follow with my netbook?

Many thanks!
Hi,

All you need is :

Programs: For windows (we can use the old NRoute installed on XP):

Nroute 2.76 http://gawisp.com/perry/nroute/
MapSource http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209
BaseCamp http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4435

TIP&TRICK: (lets use nRoute_276.exe as example)
For install any of those above you need to extract the .exe, use the 7zip for it http://www.7-zip.org/
Right click on install file, 7zip>extract to "nRoute_276.exe\"
Go to folder where files are "nRoute_276", then execute the "MAIN.msi" file because if you execute the "Setup.exe" it will look for garmin aplications if there is not it will say its not possible to install NRoute due it ...

In case it doesnt work with NRoute, just try with Basecamp or MapSource then install NRoute directly from nRoute_276.exe.

After it you will need the Maps TOPO or Road maps from garmin.

In my case we have in Brazil a page with openMaps called:
http://www.tracksource.org.br/
http://www.tracksource.org.br/index....ads-mapas.html

So i can use the maps on a Assus EEPAD with windos xp or on a Panasonic Toughbook.
My case is a Versys with a CF-18 Toughbook with Nroute, googleearth, Tyre gps, Microsoft AutoRoute, BaseCamp, Mapsource and finally CompeLand.
http://youtu.be/Bn1CNWd9xCY

For Android you can use a aplication called Trekbuddy http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/index.php

Seems to work.

As i dont know what exactly is your need i can go so deep on it, if you have doubts just ask!

The conections can be done with a PC CAR adpter ... it takes arround 4 AMPS.

You also can use EYE-FI to send videos wirelessly to your Tabler or PC on fly .
thytum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #21
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
I'm about a step away from getting my ipad and garmin working together the way I'd like. I have MotionX GPS HD and it will open .gpx files. I've been putting them in dropbox and using that to launch MotionX and it works fine. It turns the routes in the gpx file to tracks since that is all it works with. The problem was there was no way to go straight from the gps to the ipad, or even by putting the sd card from the gps in the sd adapter on the ipad because of IOS limitations. So I jailbroke the ipad and loaded an app called ifile. Now I can see all the files that MotionX has stored (.gpx) and can read all files on the sd cards in the adapter and can view them in MotionX. So that gets to where I can pull stuff from the gps to view in a larger map set up, but I don't have a way to create routes and save them as .gpx files yet. So I've still got to find the right app to create and save on the ipad to make this totally useful.

I think an android tablet is probably in my future though. Unless someone has found an app for the ipad that will edit and save routes and tracks.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,123
Being able to access the micro Sd card with the iPad won't be the answer for most of us as the tracks and waypoints go into the internal memory of most of our GPSs. Tablets running Windows 8 will be along soonish.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Being able to access the micro Sd card with the iPad won't be the answer for most of us as the tracks and waypoints go into the internal memory of most of our GPSs. Tablets running Windows 8 will be along soonish.
The Windows 8 may be here soon, BUT the Tablet Windows 8 will not run, emulate or port the same software (apps) as the traditional Windows does. Confusing? Yes, but sadly true. The tablet has different user interface (Metro) and processor architecture (ARM) than traditional Windows has (Intel or AMD x86). Tablet apps will run on the traditional Windows, but not the other way round.

Many GPS units do use microSD card and you can transfer tracks and waypoints between the unit and the card. It's not an issue.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
The Windows 8 may be here soon, BUT the Tablet Windows 8 will not run, emulate or port the same software (apps) as the traditional Windows does. Confusing? Yes, but sadly true. The tablet has different user interface (Metro) and processor architecture (ARM) than traditional Windows has (Intel or AMD x86). Tablet apps will run on the traditional Windows, but not the other way round.

Many GPS units do use microSD card and you can transfer tracks and waypoints between the unit and the card. It's not an issue.
Interesting news re Win 8 on tablets (but disappointing)

Re transfering info between the card and the GPS unit: DeLorme - yes, Garmin - not so much (if at all)[not right up to speed on the newest units]
Old 02-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #25
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Interesting news re Win 8 on tablets (but disappointing)

Re transfering info between the card and the GPS unit: DeLorme - yes, Garmin - not so much (if at all)[not right up to speed on the newest units]
Surely someone will release proper Windows 8 tablet, but it will be closer to the size of laptop than iPad. Something like Asus EEE Slate. Tablet Windows 8 is more like a smart phone operating system scaled up to tablet size.

Is it really so that newer Garmin units can't transfer tracks/waypoints via the card? Even my stone age Magellan does that. I may have to think again about buying a new Garmin... So, how you transfer the files? The Montana doesn't even have the Bluetooth. Only using PC cable and the MapSource or the like software?
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #26
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Someone with experience with the Montana may chime in on that unit's features (or read the Montana thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775 ). I have a 76CSx which has the card. The card holds the maps and, if enabled, a daily .GPX track log. This .GPX cannot be read by the unit. It has to be copied to a computer, filtered to 500 points, then reloaded to the unit's internal memory. So close yet so far away.
That's why this thread started: YES, a computer is required to do very much (anything?) with the older Garmin units that have a card.
The newest Garmins may be more up to speed re not needing a computer all the time.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #27
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
Surely someone will release proper Windows 8 tablet, but it will be closer to the size of laptop than iPad. Something like Asus EEE Slate. Tablet Windows 8 is more like a smart phone operating system scaled up to tablet size.

Is it really so that newer Garmin units can't transfer tracks/waypoints via the card? Even my stone age Magellan does that. I may have to think again about buying a new Garmin... So, how you transfer the files? The Montana doesn't even have the Bluetooth. Only using PC cable and the MapSource or the like software?
Some "newer" units can save on device data to the µSDCard, others can't. No clear coarse of direction for Garmin in that regard. It's just code. If you want that feature you have to make your wishes known - to Garmin.

On the Montana, the only device generated data that can be directed by the user to the storage card are Photo's.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #28
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
I am hoping that with the success of tablets of all sorts (Android, iOS, Windows 8, etc.) that we'll see some new way of interfacing with our GPSes in the future. Something like Bluetooth would be ideal since it doesn't require another cable. Let's hope Garmin comes up with this and the tablet makers play along.

On another note, Garmin has had wifi on their GPSes for a while now, perhaps they could build onto that allowing tablet-to-GPS syncing.
EmmEff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #29
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I am hoping that with the success of tablets of all sorts (Android, iOS, Windows 8, etc.) that we'll see some new way of interfacing with our GPSes in the future. Something like Bluetooth would be ideal since it doesn't require another cable. Let's hope Garmin comes up with this and the tablet makers play along.

On another note, Garmin has had wifi on their GPSes for a while now, perhaps they could build onto that allowing tablet-to-GPS syncing.
Garmin has the tech to do what you're discussing and maybe one day they will decide that the market is large enough for them to participate. They currently have a "Fit"-ness app for the iPhone and it can "connect" to Fitness products using their Ant+™ Adapter for iPhone. No reason whey Garmin couldn't port BaseCamp to the iPad and make a Garmin Wireless Adapter for iPad/iPhone that would only transfer data between Garmin GPS's (that support Garmin Wireless Sharing) and the iOS device.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #30
Bobonli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Garmin has the tech to do what you're discussing and maybe one day they will decide that the market is large enough for them to participate. They currently have a "Fit"-ness app for the iPhone and it can "connect" to Fitness products using their Ant+™ Adapter for iPhone. No reason whey Garmin couldn't port BaseCamp to the iPad and make a Garmin Wireless Adapter for iPad/iPhone that would only transfer data between Garmin GPS's (that support Garmin Wireless Sharing) and the iOS device.

Cheers,
I think they just need to reach a tipping point with customer feedback. This issue came up at a session Max BMW hosted last week with the Garmin NE training rep. There were requests for bluetooth data transfer from computer to GPS, to which he said Garmin doesn't do this now but he'd relay the request.

Other things folks wanted: 10 inch displays; displays that rotate like the Iphone; GPS-radar detector combo; ability to load MP4s into the audio player so as to not have to convert from Itunes to mp3. The only thing the rep pursued with any vigor was the radar detector suggestion, which he asked how much we'd be willing to pay beyond the GPS price and how big of a unit we'd tolerate.

They seem open to suggestions. But I also got the impression that they want to "do it right" rather than just add clunky features that only a small market segment want.
Bobonli is offline   Reply With Quote