User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #1
Blind Warrior OP
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 357
Paddy goes to Central America

Being the adventures of an Irish emigrant during his trip through Central America during December 2011 and January 2012.

We started yesterday, bright and early , from San Clemente in Southern California. Making good time on the freeway we headed for the Arizona/Mexico crossing at San Luis Rio Colorado. En route we stopped at El Centro for breakfast, and to get online at a Starbucks (I ride a GS) to buy some insurance. My brother in law went to the local Rite Aid to pick up a couple of pens, and in the parking lot, at zero miles per hour, dropped his VStrom breaking the front break handle at the pivot. We urgently use our mobiles to track down a replacement part, but are dismayed to discover that the nearest is in Escondido CA. So back we track to pick up the part and then return to my home from where we will restart in the morning.

We also picked up spare levers at the Temecula Suzuki dealer and fitted a pair of brush guards I had lying around in the garage. Luckily there was some beer in my fridge, the drinking of which I previously disgracefully neglected.

Was this an inauspicious start, or have we timely lanced a pimple of bad luck that if left to fester could have become a boil on the arse of out trip? Only the road knows, and she only tells her story as you ride her.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 690
Good luck from a fellow Irish emigrant on the other side of this rock.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Coulda gone worse for a blind rider. You might cut some of the way through the levers with a hacksaw to create a weak spot where it will break next time (so that it will still be useable after it is broken). Good luck in the morning.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Blind Warrior OP
Lost in the Ozone

Start 2.0

Start 2.0 went well. The crossing at San Luis Rio Colorado was breeze. But speaking of breezes, the wind on the way was fierce, with gale force winds causing us to drive with quite a list. When the wind blew from behind the feeling of almost no wind at 80mph was very strange. At one point I thought I had mechanical issues because of the strangeness of the. Engine noise being reflected off the windshield.

Your seanachai is on the left. Note the new bark butters on the Suzuki

We made it to Puerto Penasco after dark, following a car in after dusk. Stayed in a deserted hotel, which was sadly quite run

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Blind Warrior OP
Lost in the Ozone

We left Puerto Penasco for Hermosillo early the next morning and made good time. From Hermosillo we headed for Creel along route 16, probably the windiest road I have every ridden.

About 10 miles outside Yecora I came around a slow blind right hand turn, which was followed by a small left hand. As I twisted the throttle coming out of the left hander I instantly found myself on the ground sliding along behind the bike on a sheet of black ice. The bike slid until the front wheel found traction, then flipped from it's left onto it's right, crushing the right side Vario.

Kevin, who was following, came around to find me arse tobogganing down the pavement, hit the same ice and dumped in a similar fashion. His bike suffered a little more damage: a right front indicator, a broken windshield, and a broken shift lever. Luckily all he suffered was a couple of bruises.

We limped into Yecora and with my broken Spanish managed to find a welder who welded a short piece of brake handle onto the shifter. We then continued on to Creel, arriving after dark. This after dark thing is getting too commonplace!

We need to find an indicator and a windshield for a Suzuki SV650. Does anyonei know where the best place to find one is? We are leaving Parral for Durango today, then for Mazatlan tomorrow and following route 200 down the coast. It is too damn cold in the mountains!

Word, YFF!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,902
Hey, another fellow paddy, already in Panama.
We hit some cold weather as well in the mountains. The Durango to the coast road road will be hell this time of the year, we froze our arses off doing it 3 weeks ago.
We are headed up the Pan Am in a week or less., My spot tracker link is somewhere in my previous threads. Head for Granada Nicaragua, there's a good Irish pub there and cheap accommodation. We will be there around Jan 5th-10th
Old 12-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Blind Warrior OP
Lost in the Ozone

From Creel we head to Parral with our jaws hung low. This is easily the most spectacular ride I have ever taken. No photo could do justice to the canyons and bluffs along this route.

In Parral we stay at the Howard Johnson's. Don't go there, ever. For Christmas dinner we have Chinese food, open restaurants being scarce on Christmas Day.

Then back on the road to Durango. This is a fast ride along straight two lane blacktop and we make very good time. We stay at the Posado San Jorge and are not disappointed. Aside from it being a grat hotel, the desk clerk says he can fix us up with a custom windshield and a jury rigged indicator. This is good, because from countless phone calls by us and friends we have learned that the parts are not to be found in Mexico.

Word, YFF!

Old 12-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
...and she only tells her story as you ride her.
then ride her we shall! IN!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
Blind Warrior OP
Lost in the Ozone

Today we left Durango and headed west toward Mazatlan. We took the quota to El Salto, then rode the Espinaso down to the main highway. Took the main highway towards Tepic and passed a lot of military in convoy on the road. Lots of waves from the squaddies in the trucks. We turned off for San Blas where I currently sit in the Social Club attempting to diminish their stock. May have to get some food later, but as a Scouse friend of mine says, "I don't much like food, it makes my shite lumpy"!

Word, YFF!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,315
Subscribed!

I am making a trip to Central America beginning in March. Keep us posted on border crossings and good places to stay along the route!
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Subscribed!

I am crossing from La Paz to Mazatlan, or Topobloambo in a few days, or next week, or something.

Maybe I'll see you on the mainland, or in Central America, or somewhere :)
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
1Man2Wheels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
Today we left Durango and headed west toward Mazatlan. We took the quota to El Salto, then rode the Espinaso down to the main highway. Took the main highway towards Tepic and passed a lot of military in convoy on the road. Lots of waves from the squaddies in the trucks. We turned off for San Blas where I currently sit in the Social Club attempting to diminish their stock. May have to get some food later, but as a Scouse friend of mine says, "I don't much like food, it makes my shite lumpy"!

Word, YFF!
From one Paddy to another, Enjoy the San Blas Social Club! Great place, I whiled away a few evenings there last month
1Man2Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
Blind Warrior OP
Lost in the Ozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Man2Wheels View Post
From one Paddy to another, Enjoy the San Blas Social Club! Great place, I whiled away a few evenings there last month
Yes, we did discover that they served beer, and we took advantage of that!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
Blind Warrior OP
Lost in the Ozone

A few pics, now that I am home.

Your story teller on the left.

The nice looking but completely empty hotel we stayed at in Puerto Penasco. Also, probably the worst shower of the whole trip!

Sonoran refined products retail operation.

On the road out of Hermosillo into Copper Canyon and with intact Vario cases.

The ice for which I should have been prepared.

Getting the Suzuki shift lever repaired.

The shift lever with the welded on brake lever tip.

My modded Vario cases.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Were you kidnapped by aliens for two weeks....holed up in a Mexican brothel, or do we get to see and read more of your RR now that you are home?

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote