User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
OlyRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
couple of Gas Gas questions

Looking at an '04 280. Haven't seen it yet.

Needs a back fender. Ballpark, how much are they?

Kickstarter doesn't always grab. Is that common and/or easy to diagnose? Kickstart gear?

Thanks!

OlyRider screwed with this post 11-24-2011 at 02:48 PM
OlyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Chadd
I live in the wrong place

Oddometer: 467
Just got a price of ~$82 for a rear fender for my 95.

I am not sure of what causes the kick start thing but I think it must be fairly common because I looked at an 01 last weekend that did the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
Looking at an '04 280. Haven't seen it yet.

Needs a back fender. Ballpark, how much are they?

Kickstarter doesn't always grab. Is that common and/or easy to diagnose? Kickstart gear?

Thanks!
03 WR250F
95 GasGas JT25
Chadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Kick start gear is worst design ever. You will need kick start gear, idler gear and possibbly new shaft. Costs vary as to which parts and availablity. Could be as high as 175.00 plus. But this is normal wear and tear on a pro.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,086
The Pro has a known design flaw in that gear. If you don't engage it correctly and kick, it will damage it. You have to make sure it stops at a certain point before kicking (or something to that effect). 2Ply over on ThumperTalk did a good write up on it. It's NOT normal wear and tear if the user is aware of the correct starting procedure, but as it wasn't really diagnosed in 04 yet I would call it normal for that one.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
OlyRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
Gas Gas

Thanks, guys!

So it doesn't sound like a deal breaker if the price is right?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
Thanks, guys!

So it doesn't sound like a deal breaker if the price is right?
Oly,

It is tricky changing the parts out, for the kicker. But if you are a decent hand/eye coordination mechanic, you will do it fine. I had an 04 300. newer design shaft makes importer and parts sell you the kick shaft w/dog eared gear, then you take parts (spring, circlips, washers and whatever) off the old one. Replace the idler, because it is probably boogered up.

but there is a video on youtube about the general proceedure. and on the www.gasgas.com website, in the technical section, there is a word document you can download, and on page 8 you find how to line up the spring (refered to as INDEXING). Just get close to drawing, cause the drawing is outdated last I printed page 8 (Im pretty sure about that page #, but dont shoot me if I forgot...)

It is something to check each year, I think damage happens when you dont slap kick these bikes, because I broke and dad broke the gears off in 04 bikes trying to start them like you would a "normal" bike. I think we both went through more than one, but you only had to buy the dog ear gear, and possibly idler if it got boogered up. of course dollar was stronger then too, parts in general were cheaper.

FWIW, I cant recall having broken/mangled those kicker parts in the last 4 bikes 06-11 raga, Might be some due to updates in design too. FYI, I buy dads used bike when he then buys the new bike every couple years, but in 04 we both had aquired the 04's around the same time, and broke kickers within month or two, of each other.

Fenders have gone up, Lewissport on web would help you figure out prices new. But, if the current owner has both pieces, stitch it together with a few zip ties, and or add a small bit of a metal cofee can... They are prone to break, it is the plastic they used, and when they clear coated it they got very brittle in COLD weather. Newer bikes (since 10), the fenders seem to be made out of Gumby's siblings...

what Pro-Marinaro was talking about ( I think) is about the ckick leaver stop was, you have to make sure the kick lever is positioned in the factory position! If you try to move it forward on the shaft to get a bigger kick, and I am talking about where the lever is when not in use, (at rest or up position). Some people tried to cheat the kicker forward ONE spline... If you do this, you can twist or over-rotate the insides on the shaft too far, before the kick lever stops when kicked, which it does by hitting the footpeg, which is end of travel for kicker.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote