ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Would you consider participating in a group buy?
Yes, if the price is right. 13 86.67%
No, these cartridges are way to expensive. 0 0%
No, USD forks will work so much better 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #31
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
I'll ring him again tonight. They're exactly 12hours behind us. I am a bit disappointed with how slow his response it.
Not responding must be a German thing..........HPN is notorious for not replying, but they are known to be old world. Maybe they are trying to imitate....
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #32
nowhereman
I'm lost -don't follow me

Oddometer: 387
Guess I'll subscribe to the thread. I'm interested!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #33
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,566
Ok, it's pretty much sorted. He has been told that it's not a problem to deduct the tax for overseas shipments. I forgot to ask about Euro zone countries, but I guess the people from there will probably know themselves.

The price is 510.3 Euro plus freight. Hubert wants me to send him a list of people who want to order. Please PM me your name and location. I'll then pass on the list to Hubert. I will also ring him to sort out how he wants to manage the transaction, maybe it can be done through his website.

Hopefully, we'll have 10 firm orders to qualify for the discount. I am already looking forward to receiving mine :-). It's my Christmas and Birthday present to myself .
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #34
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

OK, I'm so in for that!!! But a couple of questions, will he need some weights for spring rate, riders and luggage weight to set the forks up??

Plus I'd like a set of the top cap adjusters (ST-ST-BMW-50.03.18).

One Less Harley screwed with this post 12-09-2011 at 08:06 AM
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #35
Fudmucker
ex-lurker

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Why would you want to ship to the US first? Makes no sense to me.
In a group buy, you surely ship one order to one address, presumably the US.
Thereafter each set has to be sent to the individual buyers making up the group.
So it would be shipped twice, as far as I understand.
Would RT be prepared to ship separately to each individual buyer and still grant group buy discount?

Shipping to the bottom of Africa is horrendously expensive from my experience in buying from E-Bay.com and E-Bay.de unless you can make up a 20kg shipment.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #36
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudmucker View Post
In a group buy, you surely ship one order to one address, presumably the US.
Thereafter each set has to be sent to the individual buyers making up the group.
So it would be shipped twice, as far as I understand.
Would RT be prepared to ship separately to each individual buyer and still grant group buy discount?

Shipping to the bottom of Africa is horrendously expensive from my experience in buying from E-Bay.com and E-Bay.de unless you can make up a 20kg shipment.
I've told him from the beginning that he would have to ship individually. I am in New Zealand, so that's where my set will be heading :-).
Old 12-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #37
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
OK, I'm so in for that!!! But a couple of questions, will he need some weights for spring rate, riders and luggage weight to set the forks up??

Plus I'd like a set of the top cap adjusters (ST-ST-BMW-50.03.18).
He has a form on his website that can be downloaded, it contains all the info he needs to know. I'll sort out a translation and will mail it to everybody.

At this stage no money is changing hands. All I need to know is, who is definitely in. I am. I've bought my Elka shocks in a group buy and it's always a bit of fluffing around.

Once I have the names, hopefully 10, we can work out the details. I don't want to waste his time and I don't want my time wasted. As mentioned previously, freight is additional. I have no control over that. Also, if your customs sting you for duty, that's not my problem either.

I've just gone through the check out procedure on his website. It looks like the payment method will be cash in advance, not Visa. I will also check that with him.

Hope this helps people to make up their mind.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #38
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Currently we have three people including myself. Seven to go I'd love to get the discount, but I'll go ahead regardless.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #39
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and pull the plug either way. It would b e nice to get about $70 USD off if some others respond. I've got too much money in on the GS front on the G/S, basic parts, then relacing an Ecell rim to to the GS hub. Not to mention the four pot Brembo brake is about what I like. Swapping front ends would mean more $$$$ to get things just right, brakes, controls, another set of fork springs, either a compromise in geometry or a $5-700 top clamp. Not that I need the USD forks and this option will be pretty darn good for my needs.

If you really consider the cost of setting up USD forks and all the parts involved, Race Tech may actually work out cheaper. Event though USD forks once sorted out will probably preform better.

Now I have a concern regarding payment, any chance for paypal if he doesn't accept Visa?? I haven't done a transaction outside the US, which hasn't been via credit card or PayPal. Plus a little concern about the instructions for set up as they're most likely in German. Can Race Tech respond to questions if asked in English as I don't know German. Pretty sure I can figure it out though.

Come on guys step up, all this bitching about the crappy front end here's a chance to put up or shut up

Old 12-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #40
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post

Now I have a concern regarding payment, any chance for paypal if he doesn't accept Visa?? I haven't done a transaction outside the US, which hasn't been via credit card or PayPal. Plus a little concern about the instructions for set up as they're most likely in German. Can Race Tech respond to questions if asked in English as I don't know German. Pretty sure I can figure it out though.

Come on guys step up, all this bitching about the crappy front end here's a chance to put up or shut up
Yes, I guess this will need to be sorted. Maybe he can set up a PayPal account. Germans tend to very conservative when it comes to cards or stuff they don't know. Swabians have a saying that goes like this "What the farmer doesn't know, he won't eat".

I should be able to translate instructions, as long as we are not talking several pages worth :-).

Step up to buy some stealth airhead bling. All this USD stuff is way too ostentatious.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #41
ontic

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
indeed. Sounds like a pretty good deal- front end swaps get very expensive and that is just for the 'known quantities'. If I had GS forks (rather than G/S) and was not already well into a front end swap then this would be very appealing.

P.S. OLH,
it is pretty easy to do an international money transfer from your bank to the sellers German bank so long as you get all the correct numbers and details. There are some weird international banking type numbers and stuff you need but your bank should be able to advise you on all this. I've had to do this a few times for parts from german ebay where the seller wouldn't take paypal. I had the option of doing it myself online or paying a bit more in a one off (non-variable) fee (on top of the exchange rate palm-greasing) and getting it done for me by a bank employee by turning up at the branch (first option good for smaller purchases, paying extra fee probably OK for larger purposes). I just did it online (and only stuffed it up the first time I tried). The costs for this (in my example), when looking at fees and exchange rates and all that stuff, were comparable with just about any other easy method of payment- ie credit card and paypal. At one point I thought I would be able to save a bit of money by going the bank transfer route myself, but when numbers came to numbers I realised that the international money transfer industry has all its bases covered and one thing is about as good and bad as another.
Good luck,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #42
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Ontic-thanks for the bank info.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #43
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,264
The springs in the HPN inserts on my GS are perfectly matched to the 450 lb./80 whatsits springs on the Ohlins on the rear, when they are both at the base settings

.I think the stock OEM spring is 450 lbs too.

A second set of preload spacers was supplied for PDs etc with a larger tank.

These springs/settings worked perfectly when I was 15 1/2 stone, and still do since I lost 3 1/2 stone (and eight points of cholesterol)

So if you weigh between 12 and 16 stone the stock springs should be ok,with a couple of mm more preload at the top of the range.

The big advantage of these things is that they are spot on out of the box.
You get the Ohlins magic carpet ride at both ends right out of the box, at stock settings, and they are adjustable on the move to suit the load and terrain.
They are close and good enough that you can feel the damper oil thin out with use, and you are able to adjust it as it does.

I have let a few guys with USD fronts try them- most come back looking shamefaced and crestfallen, and one had a set of them fitted and the OEM forks replaced within a month.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #44
MoMan
PigPen

Oddometer: 671
Count me out...being unemployed and all I "realistically" shouldn't do this. Maybe the Euro vs USD will get closer in time.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #45
Fudmucker
ex-lurker

Oddometer: 268
Thanks Kokopelli for the clarification. Paypal is the only viable option for me to purchase.
We have Foreign Exchange controls in South Africa. Bank transfers are serious administrative $h!T for us as we have to apply to the blubberment for Forex with full supporting documentation and we pay a massive premium on top.

I remain interested, but doubtful depending on payment channels.