Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #151
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Well if the FIM goes no- stop or a new version of it everyone else plays follow the leader!

This is why I've fought so hard over the years as an NMTA board member to keep these FIM (and to an extent) NATC rules from just automatically adopted into our local club. I fought the "touch a gate with any part of you or the bike and it's a 5" rule last year from becoming a club rule because I thought it was ridiculous at the club level. I think it's ridiculous at the national level also, but I digress. Rules made to challenge the nation's or the world's best does not always translate well to a struggling novice. Club Trials is supposed to be fun, and getting 5s for brushing a gate with your boot is not fun, it's discouraging. Discouraged folk don't come back, bottom line. I can't say if I would be a big fan of a "no stop" rule either. It may depend on the details (no stop with foot down, no stop at all, whatever), but I still can't see how it would benefit non-national riders at the club level. Stop/balance is a good skill to attain, and I would hate to see a silly rule change put that in jeopardy at the club level. If the NATC wants to adapt such silliness, it's on them. I will still fight to keep smart club rules alive in NMTA, not "blindly follow the leader" sheep rules.

Rant over.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #152
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Discouraged folk don't come back, bottom line.
I keep on showing up.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #153
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,899
I'd hate to see no stop come back into modern trials. I also think being able to stop and balance is a great skill. On the other hand, I would like to see no stop, with a foot down come back. Seems silly to me to be able to stop with a foot down and take you sweet time figuring out you next move. Problem is this gets very subjective if a person was stopped or their wheels rolling when the dab was taken.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #154
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
I like the No Stop style of riding but implementing NoStop rules is going to be like putting toothpaste back into the tube. That truth is that people are not used to getting fives anymore. You have to either crash or tear up ribbon or shoot the checkers dog to get a five these days. Scores are much lower now because of it.

The fact is that there are not enough old farts like me around to teach everyone how to ride it, how to score it and how to set up the sections.

I think the most important thing to do is change the style of section we set up. I say Death top the Box and a Rock sections.

Everything in life is a trade off. When we went to hopping we lost the ability to turn before an obstacle. We have to be lined up perfect before we go.

We all have our moves but we have lost the ability to TRANSITION from on move to another. We have lost the ability to improvise in a section when we get off line. Riders today, even our Pros don't FIGHT anymore. They dab waaaayyy too easy.

LowPSI screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 02:06 PM
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #155
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

PS Remember that the rules we tried before were called "Stop with penalty" and were not true "No Stop" rules.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #156
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
That truth is that people are not used to getting fives anymore. You have to either crash or tear up ribbon or shoot the checkers dog to get a five these days.

Oh believe me I'm quite used to getting fives, even after giving the checkers dog a doggie treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
The fact is that there are not enough old farts like me around to teach everyone how to ride it, how to score it and how to set up the sections.
Won't argue with you there. Whenever old-guard members such as Bob Mickett or Lineaway set, I try to see how they do it, since their Trials are usually so much fun. Even though I'm a newcomer to Trials (7 years in March), I do greatly prefer a nice, flowing section rather than a tightly ribboned, heavily gated, boxed-in/one line only section. I've tried my best to set old-guard style sections over the years, some successfully (and some not, I'll admit) simply because they are challenging and.....FUN! As far as the Pro's not really fighting for those points goes - won't argue that either. I usually use that dab to get my sheet together, and get a plan of attack to successfully negotiate the rest of the section. I would like to think that a Pro would be a bit above that. Just my 2 bits.

Now if I would only listen to Bob and BR when they tell me how to RIDE those sections.......
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #157
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post

Now if I would only listen to Bob and BR when they tell me how to RIDE those sections.......
Sheet,trials is easy! Knees out , feet up , just the right momentum. Just like when you finally cleaned my section sunday. Thumbs up for a clean ride on a twin shock in a section with one or two cleans on a modern bike!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #158
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Well, well, well. Hot off the press....

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/9343670...009%20November.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #159
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,178
Bounce for show, roll for dough.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #160
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
I think a better rule would have been to make the Spanish ride blind folded. Oh wait - They would still win - ok Engine off too.

Fix the sections - dont castrate the riders who have put in the effort to learn the skills to hop.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #161
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
I think a better rule would have been to make the Spanish ride blind folded. Oh wait - They would still win - ok Engine off too.

Fix the sections - dont castrate the riders who have put in the effort to learn the skills to hop.
Agreed "Fix the Sections".

The new rule is No Stop not No Hop I think the hopping skills will be very useful. Just use them on the fly.

I believe we are in for a new riding style. It will be a hybrid of old school and new.

Clever prediction #1. Some people are gonna go ape shit over this.

If you read the last line of the FIM press release.......there are more changes to come.

"With the aim of making Trial more accessible, reducing the level of the sections, creating more dynamism, reducing the costs and increasing practice and participation, additional measures will be taken in the coming months."

PS all the factories asked the FIM for this.

LowPSI screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 11:41 AM
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #162
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Bounce for show, roll for dough.
Good one.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #163
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,267
[QUOTE=LowPSI;20007465]Agreed "Fix the Sections".

The new rule is No Stop not No Hop I think the hopping skills will be very useful. Just use them on the fly.

I believe we are in for a style. It will be a hybrid of old school and new.

[QUOTE]

and the bikes will change, more suspension travel rake back the forks bigger engine, put on a nice cushy seat

Prediction two
I give you the trials bike of the future

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #164
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 630
Do you suppose this could be applied for the upper classes but not for lowers?
There are always places where a stop means a five, like on loose hillsides, or halfway up a big ol' rock, or in the mud. The most obvious skill in trials is to concisely get through a turn without losing the room for a runup. Which is the essence of box-and-a-rock, I guess.

On the other hand, being pushed to try stuff where one really needs to pause and gather is hazardous. Which is the essence of converting an enduro rider to a trials rider, ennit?

Interesting topic.
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #165
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus
Discouraged folk don't come back, bottom line.

I keep on showing up.
Best post of 2012...
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote