ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #211
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: nm
Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Trials guys will be riding extreme enduros to cross train!

In fact, trials is losing riders at an alarming rate to extreme enduro and enduro-cross already. This new rule will make the transition more seamless for them!
No the good riders are going for a pay day, But you have to learn trials for years to kick butt!!
You poor guys `might` see a rule change in a year or two. And you are having a melt down. Low PSI and myself have been thru them all and yes it is getting old!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #212
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End
 
NMTrailboss's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Oh come on Curtis, I had my little boy skip your class. But I could have him back down to show you how to hop . But then we`ll just have a rule change again!!
Little boy? Which kid are you talking about?

Whether Garrett rides my class or skips it is of no concern to me. I am damn proud of his success in recent months and hope he continues to get better. I'm quite used to the young whippersnappers mowing me down at this point!

As Gordy and Brewtus have stated, no stop was probably the proper way to ride a bike of the design they were 20 or so years ago, but the sport and the bikes have come a long way since then. Bicycle trials has completely changed the way the young riders come into the sport now. They are all trained to hop and bounce on the bicycles and take that skill over to the moto (look at what Nate and Sam are doing today compared to what Chuck and Eric were doing just 7-8 years ago). Are you telling me Garrett would be the same caliber rider today without his experience on the bicycle? Bicycle trials has completely transformed him into a good upper class rider. And one that is fun to watch. I just don't see the excitement of trying to crash through sections concentrating on not stopping rather than riding the section well and keeping yourself focused on the next obstacle, turn, set-up or whatever. Just my .02...
__________________
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #213
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End
 
NMTrailboss's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Trials guys will be riding extreme enduros to cross train!

In fact, trials is losing riders at an alarming rate to extreme enduro and enduro-cross already. This new rule will make the transition more seamless for them!
__________________
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #214
Gordy
Team Listo
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: NM
Oddometer: 21,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
No the good riders are going for a pay day, But you have to learn trials for years to kick butt!!
You poor guys `might` see a rule change in a year or two. And you are having a melt down. Low PSI and myself have been thru them all and yes it is getting old!
Great. You are old enough to remember the "old days" but still young enough to do the internet!

PS. I won't tell Garrett that you still call him your little boy!!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #215
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: nm
Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Funny I started this thread a year ago, and all of a sudden you guys are excited!! Curtis you are right about my son. It has been good to see him start this year in Intermediate, He should have second place in sportsman locked, and I had him skip semi straight to expert since he can hop so well. Being 6`4 now he can save the bike well. He`ll get his rythem in expert before our rules change!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #216
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: nm
Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Great. You are old enough to remember the "old days" but still young enough to do the internet!

PS. I won't tell Garrett that you still call him your little boy!!
That`s alright, my little brother is 6`6 and over 300lbs. And not fat!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #217
Gordy
Team Listo
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: NM
Oddometer: 21,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
That`s alright, my little brother is 6`6 and over 300lbs. And not fat!
grizzzly is your brother??
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #218
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End
 
NMTrailboss's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Funny I started this thread a year ago, and all of a sudden you guys are excited!! Curtis you are right about my son. It has been good to see him start this year in Intermediate, He should have second place in sportsman locked, and I had him skip semi straight to expert since he can hop so well. Being 6`4 now he can save the bike well. He`ll get his rythem in expert before our rules change!
Not that we're excited now, we didn't like it then either!

Just came back to the forefront with the recent FIM announcement and has made a good debate for us here on ADV. I know it will likely not be a club level rule for some time if ever, just a good discussion about the future of the sport we all love.

Just know that the next time Garrett stops in an Expert section to hop and set up, I'm fiving him!!



__________________
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #219
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: nm
Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
grizzzly is your brother??
No ,but when Chris was a little kid I had no idea he would be such a large MAN!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #220
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version
 
grizzzly's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: socorro NM 505-five five zero-2583
Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Just know that the next time Garrett stops in an Expert section to hop and set up, I'm fiving him!!




we need to get Garrett into this "discusion"
__________________
you actually expect people to take responsibility for their actions in today's society?!

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #221
motojunky
Professional Idiot
 
motojunky's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: North East, MD
Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
I just don't see the excitement of trying to crash through sections concentrating on not stopping rather than riding the section well and keeping yourself focused on the next obstacle, turn, set-up or whatever. Just my .02...
I'm not singling you out... I've had a thought brewing for a day or two and finally have a chance to get it out.

I'm curious as to how many of you who object to no-stop have actually ridden no-stop. I have been riding a modern bike in a club with no-stop rules for 2 seasons now. It's not "crashing through sections" etc. It's trials. Slow and in control with precision and balance. There are several guys who ride events in this series that ride traditional events as well. Their riding styles don't change dramatically and the sections are very similar. It isn't endurocross. You can't ride your XR650L. You still see some hopping, some turning nose wheelies, etc. - just with more finesse. I look forward to seeing how great riders adapt.

I'm in no position to say which is better or to even have an opinion. I just think some of you are making it out to be much more of a change than it probably will be.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #222
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End
 
NMTrailboss's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
I'm not singling you out... I've had a thought brewing for a day or two and finally have a chance to get it out.

I'm curious as to how many of you who object to no-stop have actually ridden no-stop. I have been riding a modern bike in a club with no-stop rules for 2 seasons now. It's not "crashing through sections" etc. It's trials. Slow and in control with precision and balance. There are several guys who ride events in this series that ride traditional events as well. Their riding styles don't change dramatically and the sections are very similar. It isn't endurocross. You can't ride your XR650L. You still see some hopping, some turning nose wheelies, etc. - just with more finesse. I look forward to seeing how great riders adapt.

I'm in no position to say which is better or to even have an opinion. I just think some of you are making it out to be much more of a change than it probably will be.
I will admit that my previous statement of "crashing through section" was not appropriate for the no-stop format and will also admit that I have never tried no-stop rules. I've only been riding trials shy of 9 years so all on modern rules. Just seems from the discussion here and from the riding I have done in competition that it would take much of the fun out of it for me. Of course, I could be totally wrong and it wouldn't be the first time by a long shot!!
__________________
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #223
Gordy
Team Listo
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: NM
Oddometer: 21,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post

I just think some of you are making it out to be much more of a change than it probably will be.
Could be, but if it's no big deal then why mess with the rules and go backwards and in the process throw a rule in there that will be impossible to apply consistently. We have 12 year old kids scoring upper class. They will have no idea if a rider doing a nose wheelie is actually stopped or not.

I can't hop for shit and only use stopped balance once in a while but it pisses me off to see the sport go backwards. The top riders should be doing backflips in sections ala Pastrana for special credit by now!!

I'm out. Will wait to see how this all pans out for us guys in the new world.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #224
ridenm
not waiting anymore
 
ridenm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Carnuel, NM USA
Oddometer: 2,362
My .02:

Yup, been there. NMTA rode no-stop during the last iteration. I still remember seeing Chuck and Eric doing sweet nose-wheelies, carefully applying the front brake enough to keep it up but not enough to stop forward motion.

The cream always rises to the top.

But it was a bitch to score. Just like calling backwards motion now. What constitutes rolling back, and how hard-ass is appropriate for a club event, and how do you make sure it's applied fairly?

In the past, when the topic has arisen, I have pointed out that trials is about one thing: riding a motorcycle. When you are stopped balancing (no dabs) you are still riding a motorcycle. When you are rolling backwards, you are still riding a motorcycle (like the Bou clip earlier shows).

All this massaging of the rules in an attempt to raise attendance and participation has not, IMNSHO, improved the health of the clubs or the WTC.

The clubs need safe, fun, inexpensive competition in accessible places. We may go overboard with the proliferation of classes for every skill level and age group, but people that get hurt, no matter how much they love the sport, don't come back--at least not without extensive rehab time. The clubs need good, effective, imaginative promotion--it's tough to ask volunteers to do all this work, but effective internal and external communication is the lifeblood of a club. Newsletters have to go out on time, and events have to be publicized in enthusiast and general outlets to the maximum allowed by club budgets. This is clearly a case of Return on Investment--the club that scrimps on advertising costs will pay later in reduced attendance.

I don't see extreme enduro and enduro-cross as a challenge to trials but as an opportunity for cross-promotion. Its appeal to the riders is that they can actually make money--find a way for trials to similarly pay its own bills and the sport will do fine, and the riders will choose what they love doing.

Forgive my thickness, but I fail to see how implementing a no-stop rule at the WTC level will reduce costs for the factories one iota or improve the series' competitiveness right now. The WTC needs the world economy to improve and Toni Bou to retire. As much fun as it is to watch him, he has no competition right now. He is the Mick Doohan of his time, and his effect on WTC is the same as Doohan's effect on GP roadracing.
__________________
I've learned to live with reduced expectations--I'm a Vikings fan.
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #225
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Looks like the British championship and more has gone back to no stop rules to increase rider numbers. I like it, but sections would have to change or it would fall on the scorers.

Going back to no-stop isnt going to make a scrap of difference to the low numbers riding Brit championship series events. The main reason for low numbers is that the events are set out for maybe 6 riders, and are simply 2 hard for most of the others (even though they are riding easier sections!).

However lack of suitable land to run events completely off road, is the main problem facing UK national trialling at the moment. Most national level events are run along the lines of several different groups of sections, which in most cases are linked by riding between them on public roads.

The rules/legislation related to riding on public roads are currently being tightened up, and it seems very likely that riding on the road during competition events will be outlawed in the next few years.

Seems a great shame, but not sure there is anything that will prevent this happening.............and unless suitable land can be found to run national level events completely off road, the future doesnt look that bright for UK trialling.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014