Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
nihiriju OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
South America on knock off Chinese bikes and no $$$

Hola!
We are 3 blokes, 1 Canadian and 2 Aussies, who just bought 3 brand new Kanda 150 cc bikes in Sucre, Bolivia. We plan on driving down to Patagonia and back up to Colombia if we are lucky. I'm sure a bunch of crap is gonna go down on the way, specially seeing as we have almost no money ($230 US ea.). We are going to try to get some kind of sponsorship from a company for doing something nuts with their product or just taking crazy pictures of it anywhere.

I'm sure people have lots of advice, so please drop a line in and let us in on your wisdom. It may be a wild and stupid idea, but I'm sure as hell it will be memorable.

You can see a few basic pics of the bikes so far at nihiriju.tumblr.com
nihiriju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Doesn't sound promising, but what do I know? Once you've actually accomplished something you'll be entitled to lend your voice to threads in which everyone argues about budgeting for overland motorcycle travel. Post again here.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
Call: 1-800-Chinesebike
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
realmc
n00b

Oddometer: 7
The Devils advocate

Sounds like an adventure for sure but with that sort of cash Im presuming your going to wild camp every night, eat at street stalls 100% of the time with the occasional road kill roast, don't drink at all and travel real slow.
Maybe your gonna last 2-3 weeks tops living like bums unless you can live off the kindness of strangers. Still you will need gas to go anywhere.

As for sponsorship for doing crazy stuff with some company's products Im guessing this sort of thing may make a couple of hundred dollars for a good quality photo or video they can use. You would need to repeat this quite a few times to get 3 guys where you plan to go.
And this sort of thing takes a lot of back and forth communication with companies in a timeframe Im guessing you guys don't have given you are there and have the bikes. Maybe if you had planned this 6 months ago you might have a shot.

I will be very interested to see how far you get and hopefully you guys make me look foolish for my prediction.

Good luck!
realmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
markharf
Studly Adventurer

No one is going to make your prediction look foolish.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihiriju View Post
Hola!
We are 3 blokes, 1 Canadian and 2 Aussies, who just bought 3 brand new Kanda 150 cc bikes in Sucre, Bolivia. We plan on driving down to Patagonia and back up to Colombia if we are lucky. I'm sure a bunch of crap is gonna go down on the way, specially seeing as we have almost no money ($230 US ea.). We are going to try to get some kind of sponsorship from a company for doing something nuts with their product or just taking crazy pictures of it anywhere.

I'm sure people have lots of advice, so please drop a line in and let us in on your wisdom. It may be a wild and stupid idea, but I'm sure as hell it will be memorable.

You can see a few basic pics of the bikes so far at nihiriju.tumblr.com
Creative, yes.
Honest, no.

$1000 approx for a bike, now left with only $230, looking to beg for sponsor.
Intentionally, something has been left untold.
I'm calling bullshit.

Lone Rider screwed with this post 11-28-2011 at 01:02 PM
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:11 AM   #7
Peregrine40
Tiercel

Oddometer: 67
Admire the spirit.
Assuming you are planning to cross Brazil? Hmm. Given how much food and gas - hell, every prices - costs here, I don't expect that you will be able to get that far without significant cash infusions.
IF you do make it up here to the northeast Brazil coast :loll then shoot me a line and I can put you up for a night or two.

P
Peregrine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
Not taking an attitude about your needing some cash, but my travels are sponsored via having worked.Being a long way from home does not make for a medal winning performance in my book. Maybe you need to sponsor yourself? Time to feed my chickens...
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,283
You're gonna need about 4 times the money that you have just for gas alone. Good luck. Also, I hope you know how to wrench on a bike. The fact that you don't list a single tool or bike related item on your packing list is a bit telling. I predict the story will end with you on a bus.

I do like the kanda motto:

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 11-28-2011 at 04:59 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
Looks like someone going to have to pimp themselves out for travel money

or you your could just buy the bicycle and start pedaling your ass off gas problem instantly solved
Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
realmc
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I checked out the website.

Yeh no mention of tools,spares,protective clothing

Firstly I dont believe your leaving on that kind of bank balance.

Seems to me your asking for donations from people so that you can have a little adventure holiday after ending up almost broke in a Bolivian youth hostel. As already suggested maybe get a job and earn it yourself.

No wait, despite busting my ass in 2 jobs trying to finance my own trip I am so deeply moved by your pure, adventurous spirit that I would only be to happy to make a significant contribution. I will be transferring it from my Nigerian bank. Please post your bank details
realmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
nihiriju OP
Adventurer

Hola!

Well you guys are slightly right about money, I had $230 left, it is all gone. I have another $1000 in the bank which I planned on using when I got back home to rent an apartment again etc. Now I have dipped into that, my ex gf also owes me $500, however that might be unlikely and I could be on my last leg now.

Also note my original travel blog does not list supplies for biking or anything as I really hadnīt planned anything for serious yet.

For tools we have the basic wrenches we need (although shit quality) one decent monkey wrench, some leathermans (which have proved the most useful so far), zap straps, and a few odds n ends. So far we have suffered one flat, a number of bolts ratteling loose (including suspension ties), and 3 broken fuel gauges, but no one really needs those anyways.

At the moment we are waiting to get Bolivian license plates for the bikes, we were driving around with none which was fine, until they introduced a law during one of our trips that you needed a license plate to get gas. We tried bribes and everything, nothing worked so we figured we would just drive till we ran out and get gas out of a bucket from some local hole "station." It worked and we made it back to Sucre where we only go on 3 day short trips max while waiting for our plates. Hopefully the plates get here on Monday and we can book it down to Coronel Molde, Salta, Argentina for Christmas ( or someplace close and good, suggestions??)

Here are some picsss

I know it shouldnīt take 2 dudes to fill up a bike, but it was Zackīs first time so we had to give him a hand.

We Zap Strapped the suspension and carriage rack back on when the nearest town in 200km didnīt have any bolts that fit.

First flat.....stupidly didnīt have any spares on us, I had to ride 200km each way to get a spare.

Wishing we had some more super glue.

Crossing some rivers, maybe stupid, but we are young nīdumb.

Advanced improvised Go-Pro mount, thanks again to Leatherman.

As for protective gear, we got leather patches on our knees so I could avoid doing this again;

On the way back from Machu Picchu on a moto I had rented, happened just around here;

The road from Santa Teresa to Santa Maria

Weīll I hope some people have a little more belief in us. Got a lot of hate messages on my blog, but we have an idea which might net us some $$$, and we have started a new blog, although there is pretty much nothing on it right now as Bolivian internet is about a 0.5 / 10. It is called the naked motos, and we plan on documenting our journey while intermittently getting naked in random spots, hopefully we will pick up some babes along the way too.
http://thenakedmotos.tumblr.com/

If we get enough followers maybe toss some t-shirts or post cards, itīs really the only thing we could come up with, with out shit planning and zero time frame to contact sponsors. People in the hostels love it so far.

Cheers,
Old 12-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihiriju View Post
Weīll I hope some people have a little more belief in us....we have an idea which might net us some $$$.....we plan on documenting our journey while intermittently getting naked in random spots, hopefully we will pick up some babes along the way too.
http://thenakedmotos.tumblr.com......maybe toss some t-shirts or post cards, itīs really the only thing we could come up with, with out shit planning and zero time frame......People in the hostels love it so far. Cheers,
The above is unlikely to gain you many believers, but maybe you'll have a good time and figure it all out along the way. I'd advise not staking too much on what "the people in the hostels love" unless they start sending funds your way.

The photos are fine, and reports about conditions and routes are always welcome. Just don't expect anyone to pay you for them.

enjoy,

Mark
Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,283
Sounds like you guys are sorta making it work and you're having a good time. It sounds like your failing to take advantage of the reason to ride a motorcycle in the first place though. Don't just hit all the tourist spots. Go to the places where they don't have hostels. Go hang out with people that've never seen tourists before. Go to the places that aren't in the lonely planet. Otherwise at the end of the day you're still just a sheisty backpacker trying to score dope and get laid in hostels the world over, except you paid a lot more and went through a lot more BS to do the same shit that all those jackasses on the bus are doing. Go see something that they can't see. Get your money's worth.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #15
nihiriju OP
Adventurer

haha, donīt worry we are not expecting anyone to pay us money in exchange for info or in exchange for anything. We were originally hoping for some out there company with too much money to sponsor us. Someone like Garnier for holding their shampoo in crazy places and talking about how good it is for Tomīs wild hair, stupid shit like that ( they do it all the time in ski towns). Anyways we gave up on that we are just camping on the side of the road and mostly eating rice. Thenakedmotos blog is something to allow people to see what we are doing, and it will likely create more interest outside the motorcycle world, which is fine, I am just here to get tips from you guys!.....which so far seems to be that we are a bunch of naive idiots, but Iīll agree with that and say it is part of the adventure.

As for the main reason to having motorbikes I donīt think we are missing it at all, the only "tourist" road we did was from Sucre to Uyuni, and the stops along the way are not very touristy. Other than that we have been stuck with 100km of Sucre waiting for our license plates, meaning each day we go for a ride out onto the hills, looking for swimming holes. For this we donīt have any maps and just follow the contour of the land until we find a place we canīt bike past then we start hiking. I believe you will laugh at what we consider a good spot to swim (it is much more like a mud bathing tub).

This is was our camping setup previously, however the double man tent was stolen along with a tarp, and all of Zackīs cloths. Since then we have 3 single person tents.

The hostel we are staying in at the moment is Gringos Rincon in Sucre, we know the hostel owner very well and his brother in law has been helping us navigate the turbid streams of Bolivian motorcycle licensing. Once we get our licenses we plan on B-lining it to Coronel Molde near Salta Argentina, I hear there is a decent lake there and I am obsessed with swimming in lakes. Hopefully we make it by Christmas!