Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #16
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihiriju View Post
Once we get our licenses we plan on B-lining it to Coronel Molde near Salta Argentina, I hear there is a decent lake there and I am obsessed with swimming in lakes. Hopefully we make it by Christmas!
If it's swimming holes you're after then you'll like southern Chile and Argentina. Lakes and rivers galore... and clean ones at that. Northern argentina is really hot and arrid. Parts of it are really flat and boring as well. Sticking up tight to the andes will keep the terrain a bit more interesting.

Future swimming opportunities farther south:

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #17
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Good on you guys. Forget all about plans, destinations, and timetables and go have a little adventure until youre out of money and ideas and you have to sell the bikes. Youre on bikes now, not the bus. Once you leave Bolivia for points south, things are going to get exponentially more expensive so you'll have to be creative. Get out of the hostels, off the tourist routes and ride village to village, eating cheaply and sleeping for almost free. Enough cash for gas is going to be tough though.

It looks like you guys are having a good time and sounds like a helluva a lot of fun to me.

suerte!

crashmaster screwed with this post 12-16-2011 at 09:13 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #18
nihiriju OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:

Where are these 2 spots??They look like prime swimming, maybe a lil cold, but iīm from Canada eh. We plan on taking the Chile side to Puerto Montt maximize the lake district, and then back over to Argentina to head into Patagonia. I donīt know if we would be able to do the roads on the Chile side that head further south for such a long distance with our lovely Chino bikes.

Annnd yeah, we will be camping the whole time pretty much. Eating noodles, garlic, onions, rice. Potatoes take too long to cook.
nihiriju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihiriju View Post
Where are these 2 spots??They look like prime swimming, maybe a lil cold, but iīm from Canada eh. We plan on taking the Chile side to Puerto Montt maximize the lake district, and then back over to Argentina to head into Patagonia. I donīt know if we would be able to do the roads on the Chile side that head further south for such a long distance with our lovely Chino bikes.
All of Chile south of Puerto Montt is awesome. It's a mix of VERY good dirt roads and some pavement. The caretera austral is not to be missed for the camper/swimmer. Not much there in the way of attractions, but the area in and of itself is gorgeous. Those two photos are somewhere along the caretera austral well south of puerto montt. Great swimming to be had if it's warm enough.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
nihiriju OP
Adventurer

Maaaaajor Issues, Argentina wonīt let us in the Country.

Apparently for Bikes or vehicles registared in Bolivia, or any country, you need to be a residant of said regiustration country for the previous year to bring the vehicle into Argentina.

We are going to drive back up to Uyuni and try for Chile. Does anyone have any experiance with similar issues? Will we be able to get into Chile? We have all the proper ownership and registration papers.

Cheers!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #21
chile biker
n00b

Oddometer: 7
what ???

Quote:
Maaaaajor Issues, Argentina wonīt let us in the Country.

Apparently for Bikes or vehicles registared in Bolivia, or any country, you need to be a residant of said regiustration country for the previous year to bring the vehicle into Argentina.
What a BS is this ? I am sure you tried at Villazone/La Quiaca border ... this custom officers are bad, the worst is the Bolivian, they just make up there rules. I always had arguments with them and spend hours there ...I met quite some people who were turned back at this border for all kind of stupid reasons...

Maybe try the other border crossing at Aguas Blancas (you have to go over Tarija), this one is much better. Or try paso Jama ...

But please dont enter Argentina without the TIP (up here in the North valid for three month).

If you make it to Salta (I live here), I invited you for beer food fuel and a bed and a shower and I will take you to the lake (Cabra Coral) for a swim.

send me a pm

merry x mas
chile biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #22
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Some of my best travels were when I was young and broke and didn't know any better. Roll on and keep the PMA.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 AM   #23
nihiriju OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chile biker View Post

But please dont enter Argentina without the TIP (up here in the North valid for three month).

What is TIP?? Mandatory Insurance? We were trying to buy insurance for Argentina online but couldnīt find any and figured we would buy once in Argentina.

We plan on making it into Argentina at some point but it may not be in the next few days. About to make a split moment decision to go to Chile via Ollague or to head the way you suggested through into Argentina. If we do make it into Argentina we would love to stop by and say hi!

Cheers, and thanks for the help!

Nick
Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #24
chile biker
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Tip

TIP means temporary import permit - the white paper you get from customs for your bike

enjoy your ride
chile biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #25
nihiriju OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chile biker View Post
TIP means temporary import permit - the white paper you get from customs for your bike

enjoy your ride

Ahh thatīs awesome, thanks!

We just made it into Chile, ran out of money, fuel, food and got a flat tire on the way! Also we drove 100km from the border and were told we needed to go back because we didnīt complete customs. Wooohhoo! Hopefully we find a nice spot to camp for Christmas!

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #26
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,158
Your trip,your terms.Good for you and Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #27
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Sounds like a hell of a good time, good luck with the gas money issue.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #28
nihiriju OP
Adventurer

Hey!

Just thought Iīd drop off some more pics, we are squatting in Zapallar right now....pretty hard though as all of the land is owned by someone, and it is very busy around. Heading further south in a few days.

The road to Tupiza from Potosi, most was paved, but this was a nice dirt section.

Cooking over a fire partially fueled by dung. A long time dream of mine.

Great lil river valley

Leaving Tupiza

We got turned down at the border for Argentina and decided to make a run to the border for Chile.

On the road from Tupiza to Uyuni

Frosty nights

The last thing you see in Bolivia.

Welcome to Chile!!!

Christmas eve, squating at a salt mining operation, ran out of money, fuel, food and water. Had to borrow some money and bus into the nearest town with gas. 130km away i think.

Trying to drive from Antofagasta South, the road ended shortly after this though.

The hand.

Camping in the Lunar.

Near Zapallar, collecting some fire wood.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #29
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,137
I'll give you guys credit for your gumption. Being young and naive helps. Ignore the criticism here, most of us would love to take an adventure like yours, as goofy as it is. I would send you a loonie or two if I had any.....By the way, great pictures.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #30
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

You guys have elevated yourselves from the rank of "dirty backpacker" to "overlander-in-training." Well done. By the time you're done with this, we might let you into the club. See if you can spend some time with some "real" motorcycle travelers (the ones who really know their stuff are usually german) to learn some tricks. There are many to learn. Sadly, most people don't figure them out until they've been on the road for many months. Get in a good routine and everything goes smoothly. Learn to pack well. Fuel jugs dangling near your rear wheel are asking for problems. Manage your fuel well. Don't all ride until you're empty. If you're going to run out, combine your fuel into one bike and send him forward with every empty container you have. All 3 of you running empty and then taking a bus makes no sense. Tell dudeman with the hatchet to get some real boots, close toed shoes at the very least. You can't ride like that for long and hope to keep your toes. If you want to cross to argentina, check out paso de san francisco just east of copiapo. It's nice and quiet and WAY out in the mountains. Your chances of getting across there no questions asked are pretty good if I had to guess. There are also mountain shelters to camp in for free. I think technically they're only for emergency use, but something tells me you probably don't really give a shit. This is the road over that pass:

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 10:14 AM