Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #31
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
You guys have elevated yourselves from the rank of "dirty backpacker" to "overlander-in-training." Well done. By the time you're done with this, we might let you into the club. See if you can spend some time with some "real" motorcycle travelers (the ones who really know their stuff are usually german) to learn some tricks.
This is pure silly (and I'm being generous). No one appointed you, Airhead Wrangler, as gatekeeper for any "club," and there's no consensed definition of "real" motorcyclists either. "Real" is whatever gets done out there in the world while riding a motorcycle. These guys qualify.

The OP began by describing a fantasy-laden description of a trip which was clearly not going to happen--women, corporate sponsors, absence of money, etc. etc. etc. By all indications they've now settled into a nice, go-with-the-flow moto journey, complete with mistakes and successes and improvised adjustments to whatever comes along. That's to be celebrated, not lectured on what's "real" or worthy of "club" membership. What's more, they've been entertaining us with photos and words, which is a nice community service.

If it's not your preferred style, fine. It's not mine either. But I don't need to denigrate the OP to puff myself larger. They're doing fine, and I hope they continue and have a blast doing it.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #32
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
^^ I believe he was being tongue-in-cheek about the motorcycle club, unless I'm reading it very wrong.

Cool trip. With your budgets in mind I'd get out of Chile quick Chile though, when I was there earlier this year it was $7.50usd per gallon. It was almost $200 in gasoline alone to cross the Atacama desert.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #33
markharf
Studly Adventurer

If so, I'll be happy to bow and scape and apologize.

Mark
Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #34
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
If so, I'll be happy to bow and scape and apologize.

Mark
Uh, yes. That was very tongue in cheek. You can feel free to send me membership dues though.

I'm just trying to keep these guys from making dumb mistakes. Mistakes on the road = money. These guys have no money to spare.

...and by "real" bike travelers I mean the dirty old men (and women) on 20 year old XRs, DRs, XTs, KLRs and airheads, not power rangers on R1200s who sleep in hotels every night. Plenty of them in South America, mostly german, but some brits, aussies and french too. Many of them on their 5th+ RTW. HUBBers not ADVriders. Many of them are super thrifty and could probably impart some wisdom.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 02:02 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #35
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,890
don't give up... your trip reminds me of my trip across the US via hitch-hiking.
a buddy and me left with backpacks right out of high school with not much $$$.
next to no planning ... but it all worked out.

wouldn't trade that experience for anything ...
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #36
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Ahem. (bows).....(scrapes forehead on ground).....(mutters unintelligible apology beneath breath).....

Is it over yet?

Mark
Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #37
nihiriju OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Well the trip is going great, but gas price do add up. Im going to stop in Southern Chile and try to get a job at an architecture firm, or with a glulam manufacturer. There seems to be enough money here and a lot of higher end wood construction, so maybe I can take in some of my experiance from home. I am a heavy timber consultant.

Im also the guy with the flippy floppies in the pictures, but i use hiking boots while riding around normally. Only flip flops on lil wood runs and so on. It is great to be on the beach right now near Zapallar. We met an awesome movie director who has done a few moto trips around the world and has let us stay with him on his beach house for the past 3 nights. We are leaving today to Valpa, and hoping we can find some place to squat in the bushes, it is much harder with so many people around these areas though.

Ill bring more pics as the story unwinds.

Ive also met a hardcore old school biking german couple. I cant find the pic right now, but he pretty much built his own bike with side car. I think they had been travelling for 3 years around the world in it. This thing looks like a beast from road warrior, hopefully illl find the pic soon.

Cheers!
nihiriju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #38
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihiriju View Post
Ive also met a hardcore old school biking german couple. I cant find the pic right now, but he pretty much built his own bike with side car. I think they had been travelling for 3 years around the world in it. This thing looks like a beast from road warrior, hopefully illl find the pic soon.

Cheers!
Is it a really loud triumph by chance?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #39
nihiriju OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
This is the beast.
nihiriju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #40
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihiriju View Post
This is the beast.
An airhead hack with earles forks. They get extra style points.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #41
G-Tex
Sneaky Bastard

Oddometer: 299
Ridiculous.

Youthful.

Fun.

I'll be in Bolivia from June 28th to July 15th or so...I'll buy you guys a beer if you're back...

Cheers!
Beemer Off Road Dallas, Chartered MOA #351, RA #338
www.advdallas.com
2004 R1150GSATT41L<>1981 R80G/S
Change of Plans '09: Cabo Edition

G-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #42
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Good luck ... hope you guys can continue the journey. If you've made it this far you've obviously learned a few things by now.

Some of our Experts over blow this whole "Adventure" thing.
A few of the Germans I've met on the road are over packed, over anal, paranoid and up tight, have double the budget they need ... and sometimes quite critical.

Maybe you guys can max out a few credit cards to struggle on?

Takes all kinds!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #43
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 184
I hope you guys can ride those bikes till they absolutely fall to pieces. By then, you'll be able to put them back together and go another 10K or whatever! I know this much, by the time you get to be my age, you'll wish you had the same spirit of adventure that you do now! KEEP RIDING, KEEP WRITING, but please, KEEP YOUR CLOTHES ON!!! HA HA!!!

I wrestle with the thought of a Washington to Panama ride every day. Last year, I did an Eastern WA, Eastern OR, Eastern CA ride, with a lot of dirt road work and loved it. The hardest part of the trip I found though, was simply walking out the door and locking it, then getting on the bike and riding away. Everything else was easy! Since then, I refer to that period right before leaving and "the final steps". I am so looking forward to the next set of "final steps"!

Airhead Wrangler, if you catch this post, what is a HUBBer? Something to do with Horizons Unlimited?
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #44
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey & Vann View Post
what is a HUBBer? Something to do with Horizons Unlimited?
You got it, the forum over there is called "The HUBB" aka "Horizon's Unlimited Bulletin Board" so it's slang for its users. ADVer
Old 01-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #45
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,936
I think I met you in Santa Cruz (), looks like you're making the best of it. Nice trip.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote