Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #61
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,280
Way to go. Yeah ruta 40 is not terribly enjoyable riding-wise. It was windy as shit when I was there too - about the same time of year. Try to log some quality time next to the abundant wood stoves down there. It helps cure a case of the "cold-n-shitties." Carry on, gentlemen.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #62
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
This thread just cracks me up. Y'all are nuckin' futs. Great job.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #63
Colombianito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
This thread just cracks me up. Y'all are nuckin' futs. Great job.
Agreed!! This ride is fun to read about! Kind of wish i were tagging along!
Colombianito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #64
El Explorador
Radical Explorer

Oddometer: 269
I love the transition from the flashy intro to the grim dirty reality of shoestring travel. What an adventure, I hope an unexpected windfall keeps it going for all of you!
El Explorador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #65
Zack_Attack
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Read more about our adventures

Hi. I am one of the three bikers this thread is about, and Ive writen about some of our adventures on a couple of my more recent blog posts.

http://www.thesouthamericandream.blogspot.com/

More posts to come, including the Carettera Austral in Southern Chile and Route 40 in Argentina to Ushuaia.
Zack_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #66
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Been a while since we've heard from these boys. I hope they made it.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #67
Runninonadream
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi all, Im the third member of the trio. After the last update we spent some time trekking in the Torres del Paine national park, an amazing place and definitely worth a visit. My chain had been in very bad shape for 1000kms or so and I was hanging on until Punta Arenas for a new one. Unfortunately, during the ride back from Torres del Paine the chain came off at around 70km on a dirt road, a fairly normal occurrence but this time it mangled the adjustment brackets and forced the axle out of the swing arm. It fortunately got wedged in by the guard, the chain and my rear brakes and I controlled a pretty intense lock up with no ill effects. It was a little sketchy to get back on the bike and ride another couple of hundred ks without being able to fix the actual problem! From here we headed down with almost no incidents. My chain was so bad it would fall off every 500m on the road to Punta Arenas so I sat by the side of the road and within 1 hour my bike was in the back of a very friendly mans pick-up. Finally got some parts in Punta Arenas and we were on the road to Tierra Del Fuego!

We didnt hit the road on TdF until quite late, due to a late afternoon ferry but we decided to ride on until Rio Grande. Nick had no headlight so we rode with him in the middle wearing his headlamp. a few ks out of town Nick managed to get a flat front tire. His financial situation meant that Ushuaia would be the end for him and he had a flight to B.A. that we had to get there for. It was quite late so we just rode in to town on the flat and found a place to crash. Instead of searching around and trying to get the tire fixed, Nick decided to sell the bike as is in Rio Grande. A sign on the tank and the bike on a busy corner and we had it sold in 2 hours with 200 bucks in the pocket!
Runninonadream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #68
nihiriju OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Well the trip is over for me, I am back home in Canada. Tom's engine gave out about 3,000km north of Ushuaia, and I believe Zack is still going strong, but I haven't heard from him for 5 days. I am working on mapping our route on google maps and putting some stats together.

As a rough estimate we camped for about 50 days,
I spent $930 to buy the bike and roughly $1,800 on gas, food, liquor and the odd accommodation.
We drove from Sucre, Bolivia to Ushuaia, Argentina down the Cartel de Austral and route 40 after Chile Chico.
My bike had 10,283km on it when I sold it for $900 Pesos in Argentina.

Here are some pleasant photos from my real camera.

Uyuni Salt Flats

Uyuni Salt Flats

Some highlands near Sucre

Camping near Potosi

The route from Tupiza to Ollague

Christmas eve, ran out of food, gas, money and water. Squatted at a salt mining camp while Zack borrowed money from a miner to hitch hike into Calama for supplies.

The most lifeless place on Earth.

My fav shot from Dakar, Tom and I back tracked 800km to see it.

Wind break!

Caves near Constitucion we drove through.

Epic meal time! If we had a fire we went all out and cooked nice sauces as well as boiled our pasta at the same time. Living in the lap.

Squatting in the abandoned airport hanger in Chaiten.

Tom found these kids boxing gloves at the abandoned airport, which quickly became his new riding gloves.

The road to Chile Chico!

I have a bunch more if people want to see em. It was a great trip! Thanks for everyone's support and all the amazing people we met along the way!

Nick
nihiriju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #69
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Friggn' awesome man. Thanks for the story and the pics. I'm betting you miss it and if you don't, you will soon.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #70
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Good show boys! I'm sure Austin Vince (of Mondo Enduro, Terra Circa fame) would give a tip of the hat and buy you a pint! I do hope someday ya' all get a chance to return and take more time, drink more Beer and enjoy Argentina a bit more.

Cheers!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #71
Zack_Attack
n00b

In case anyone was wondering I (one of the three riders) made it back to Bolivia on my bike. After 16,309.8 kms, I think I have proven that shitty chinese 150CC bikes are certainly adequate for some crazy adventures.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #72
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack_Attack View Post
In case anyone was wondering I (one of the three riders) made it back to Bolivia on my bike. After 16,309.8 kms, I think I have proven that shitty chinese 150CC bikes are certainly adequate for some crazy adventures.
Is that what was proven? LOL. I was thinking there was now proof of something else, but if you say so...

Great job man. Y'all are nuckin' futz and I salute you for it.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #73
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
It's possible on a bicycle, a scooter, an R1, a BMW or a moped, anything really. As long as you can get the paperwork done it just depends on your budget and how much time you'd rather spend on the road vs your destination. Some people even walk all over the globe.

In the end it only matters that you had a good time and have some good stories to tell :)
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #74
Hache_arg
End of the world rider

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack_Attack View Post
Zack... you guys just prove that is not the tool, but the person that's the main ingredient for the adventure.

I'm proud of being at least a little helper on the trip

Hache
Hache_arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #75
Zack_Attack
n00b

More stories about our adventures

If you want to heart about just a handfull of our adventures, check out the recent posts on my blog: www.thesouthamericandream.blogspot.com