User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
Oldfatbeerman OP
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,674
Dan and Al's Mummel Adventure.

I had organized with Dan to meet in Dungog on Sunday morning at 0830 .
I arrived about 0820 and parked across the road from the Barrington Bakery ,
so I crossed the busy (for a Sunday Morning ) Main drag and ordered myself a large coffee and a croissant , I was just getting my order when I heard the sound of an LC4 coming up the street and Dan swung around and parked right beside my SE .

Church on Sunday Mornin' ......... where any GOOD KTM rider should be ....

Dan ordered his breakfast and we chin waged while I ate and drank and then while Dan ate and drank , Dan went next door to the supermarket for last minute supplies for the nights camp feed and then we were away . We headed north out of town and then swung a left onto Back Creek rd and then right onto Monkerai rd and onto the Dirt , this is a nice smooth road with a fast firm surface that lets a hoon like me go quite quick and hang the back out with easy control and minimal danger , I
had a hoot along this Rd. Nearing the junction with Bucketts way we spotted some Camels , a Long bloody way from their normal enviroment ( the Desert ) so we had to take a pic.

Camel Country ? ........... don't look like desert to me !

Bucketts way led us into Gloucester and a fuel top up , then we scarpered out of
town and headed to Bundook and then over to Mt George and left on Nowendoc Rd. A little bit of tar fun was had for the 20 or so k's the tar lasts and then we again were on dirt, not far down the dirt is Rock's Crossing reserve , where we stopped to check out the setting for a future camp site or gathering . We decided that the place would lend it's self quite well to an overnight camp spot for either ADV type rides or indeed as a base camp for forest forays on the little bikes.

There are tables and a pit toilet that all look like the place is maintained
to an acceptable level and there is also the river running only a 60 m walk through the undergrowth on a path and I could believe a few beers sitting in the river would be a great way to relax after a great days ride.

After the inspection was done we set off north on Nowendoc rd till we turned right onto Kangaroo Tops Rd , where we had to do some cattle chasing to get the beasts off the road. We wound our way up the ridge line to the gate that marks the begining of the Mummel Fire Trail . Once North of the gate the trail becomes quite indistinct in places , you can still follow it but it is not very well defined.

As we climbed in elevation the terrain chainged from open paddocks to timbered ridge country and we crossed through a gate and into the forest , winding our way along an at times somewhat overgrown trail . Before we had gone too far into the forest a fallen tree had to be made passable , we had to knock off some of the branches and get the trunk low enough to get the bikes over , it only took about 10 minutes and we had what looked an easy ramp over.

Dan went first and with no drama had his new to him 640 up and over the fallen tree.

I was next and we soon had our gear back on ( it was HOT work clearing the fallen tree ) and we were off following the Mummel fire Trail . The Trail led out onto cleared land again and we wound our way down to a gate and across a ricketty old wooden bridge and came to an intersection , not having my GPS set up correctly and not recalling the intersection from the only other time I'd been through this trail , I elected to go left , which in hind sight was the wrong choice for our intended ride but none the less we rode on and came out in Nowendoc , since it was around 1 pm we decided on a cooked lunch at the store and both happily scoffed down a BLT sandwich with a soft drink , I think the lady in the store was pretty sweet on Dan , she seemed awfully friendly towards Dan and fussed over him no end.

After lunch we headed Nth on the Brackendale Rd to get back on track with our intended route which crossed Brackendale rd about 25 k's Nth of Nowendoc . I found the rd I was looking for and we turned into the forest heading West . this Rd wound through a Radiata pine forest with areas of clear felled , barren wasteland looking zones and then around the next bend would be large old pines on both sides and a strong pine smell to the air. We quickly found our way through the forest and popped out on Thunderbolts way , turned right and then shortly up the rd turned left towards Niangala , along this rd another 10 or so km we turned left into forest rd and headed for Hanging Rock . Once we arrived at Hanging Rock we swung into the Sheeba Dams Recreation area and set up our tents and stuff for the night .

First thing on arrival for Dan was to dry off his tent as it got packed up wet that morning.

all set up now , time to get some beer !

We then slipped back into the saddle and wound our way down the hill into town for a couple of quick beers and some takeaways and ice which fitted just right into Dans left pannier liner. While in town we watched the weather take a nasty turn , well for us campers it was a nasty turn , it was black and ominous looking.

Weird cloud formations

Black and horrible to the South.

The road was fried up by our tyres as we raced the clouds back to our campsite and it was only a 1/2 hour or so before the first drops started to fall . In that 1/2 hour dan went for a swim in the dam , while I wet my insides with black beer .
It rained hard and blew a bit as well which had us standing on the sheltered table to stay a bit dry and we ended up with most of our clothing on as well , she got a bit cool let me tell you . once the rain stopped and the wind died down I got the stove out and warmed our food and ate and drank our beverages before turning in for the night.

To be continued

Alan
Old 03-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Zurgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Nice start to the report. How did the SE go getting over that tree? Looking forward to part 2

Old 03-17-2009, 02:41 AM   #3
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,896
Thumb

Nice one Al.

Last time I was at Sheeba it was the Thunder Rally, it was a bit busier than your photo's.

I'll have to get a more detailed route from you at some point.

Matt.

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
HoldoninAus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Good stuff lads,

Gods country up there.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!”
HoldoninAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:00 AM   #5
John C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I hope you kept the youngster with the new bike under control Al

I bet he was all hyped up so you would have your work cut out

Looks like a real good ride

John
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #6
Oldfatbeerman OP
Enroute to a PUB

Continued

Monday Morning dawned clear and fine , the local bird life woke me about 0615 but I stayed snug in my sleeping bag till about 0630 as I needed bladder relief by then .
We packed up our wet and damp gear as the clear sky began clouding over just after the sun appeared over the hill . once packed up and geared up we departed South down the escarpment towards Barry Station .

The once little used track has seen some road work of late and the red soil was quite
slippery after the previous evenings storm , we weaved our way along through the mud
up hill and down through to the first creek crossing , I was quite surprised by the low level of the water , much lower than my last time through this track only 5 weeks ago.

This track is a delight to ride and I am hopfull that it remains open for the public for its length as others like it have been closed due to idiots doing stupid things and landowners getting the shits with the idiots and shutting everyone out. It is such a great ride .

By about the 7 th or 8 th crossing Dan commented that he had lost count of just how many times we had crossed the river. I hadn't bothered to begin counting , lets just say there are plenty of those creek / river crossings on this track and it is a hoot to ride.
Both of us had our fuel warning lights come on just before reaching the impressive Ellerston Station so we headed into Moonan Flat to try to get some fuel . the place was all locked up with no one around so after checking the level in my tank we decided that Gundy was near enough to make on the fuel we had so we went west to Gundy.
While fueling up I suggested we go into Scone for an early lunch at Subway and then slab it to the Putty , and then find the Howes Valley trail for a run across to Laguna and then home ward , Dan liked that Idea so we set off for Scone. Once lunch was done we topped up the fuel and droned down the New England Hwy through Muswellbrook and past the large smoke stacks of Liddell power station to Lemington Rd where we turned right and went across to the Golden Hwy and then East again to then go Sth once more on Wallaby Scrub Rd and then turn south on the Putty. Dan assured me he could locate the gate at the start of the Howes Valley trail so I put him in the lead through the putty's twisties , let me tell you that he has the 640 worked out on tar , I had to be going along swiftly just to keep him in view.
He found the Howes Trail alright and we opened and closed the gate and were away on the dirt again.

This track is an absolute hoot ! especially on a week day when the chances of oncoming traffic is minimal ! I had a really great time riding through to Laguna ,
pity I didn't wait for Dan a the last intersection , yup , I went right and Dan went Straight on ! DOH ! I waited at the T intersection on Wollombi Rd for 10 mins and knew something was amiss , so I back tracked until I saw the unmistakeable print of a 908 RR in the sand on the trail and knew Dan had passed by there so must have done what I was hoping he had. I still checked over the edge of the trail along every curve and turn but didn't find Dan until I got back to where I had been waiting 1/2 an hour before. All was good , Dan had worked out what I had done so just waited .

It was Slab it home for both of us from here so we said our goodbyes and mounted up and headed of home giving each other a final wave good bye at Central Mangrove where I turn left for Gosford and Dan continued South for Sydneys Northern Beaches.
Another great ADV ride was Done and some more great riding places were explored a bit. I am sure I'll get back up to the Mummel Gulf area for more exploration soon .

Cheers Alan

Dan took lots of pics so I expect some posts from him soon ( next few days ) , I am looking forward to seeing them !
Old 03-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #7
Oldfatbeerman OP
Enroute to a PUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurgg
Nice start to the report. How did the SE go getting over that tree? Looking forward to part 2

The SE ate the tree and spat it out the back ! I however had a severe case of sphincter pucker going on at the time.

Cheers Alan
Old 03-17-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
Oldfatbeerman OP
Enroute to a PUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Nice one Al.

Last time I was at Sheeba it was the Thunder Rally, it was a bit busier than your photo's.

I'll have to get a more detailed route from you at some point.

Matt.
Yes Sheeba was a little quieter than at Thunder Rally time and a lot warmer till that storm hit.

The route we took is not one I would recommend to any one not on a purebred dirt bike , Knobby tyres and large gonads are a pre requisite on the Mummel Trail ! I had more OH FUCK !!!!! moments along twenty k's of Mummel than I've had since I got the SE !

Cheers Alan
Old 03-17-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
Oldfatbeerman OP
Enroute to a PUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C
I hope you kept the youngster with the new bike under control Al

I bet he was all hyped up so you would have your work cut out

Looks like a real good ride

John
I just managed to keep him in check John , On Monday morning he was up in the dark , and salivating , raring to go as soon as it was light , I had to slow him down , the skippy's are deadly early around those parts .

Cheers Alan
Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #10
Oldfatbeerman OP
Enroute to a PUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldoninAus
Good stuff lads,

Gods country up there.

Indeed it IS !

Cheers Alan
Old 03-17-2009, 03:38 AM   #11
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 638
Good on ya Al!
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:44 AM   #12
oodeano
Some Guy

Oddometer: 1,013
The bits of the Mummel I have done were AWESOME . . .very jealous!
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 AM   #13
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,784
Thumb

Classic

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #14
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
The sinful pair of orange beasts....

Nice RR Al, too bad about the thirsty SE....
choccoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #15
Zurgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Top report Al with great pics. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to any Dan may have.

cheers