Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
Waddi trees from the dingo caves ( looking west) ...I had taken this same photo 11 yrs earlier. Would you believe that it was EXACTLY the same.
Attached Images

Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Day 6 Birdsville to Innamincka via Cordillo road 426km. ...depart 7am

This was the day with some stress. I had been told by everybody I asked not to ride it. Go down the Arrabury rd instead they said, it's better. I was now into new country. I thought I'd ride down to the Cadelga ruins about 40km and make a final decision then . Once I crossed the South Australian border the roads deteriorated. Having said that , I learned quickly that when the road is real bad they can change just a quick. So speeds varied a fair bit.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

All ruins have a huge story to tell.. I spent a fair time here just thinking of all the sweat trying to survive.

Cadelga ruins.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #19
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

I had no Sat. ph and mobils had no reception out this far. I was unsure which way to go ( Arrabury or Cordillo) But made the call to continue.. I passed a couple of 4bys during the day and gave one a note to text my wife when they arrived in Birdsville. I didn't fancy getting lost out here with no one knowing. Road conditions covered every thing on a scale of 1 to 10.
Attached Images

Ian Robinson screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 03:52 AM
Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

I was aware that if I dropped the bike I'd have to unload to pick it up and reload, maybe an hour lost. So I rode with caution. this is Cordillo Downs sheep shearing shed ( no longer in use and once Australians largest)
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #21
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

The day was long, the road not user friendly, the clock was ticking....I eventually entered the Innamincka Reserve, the red sand started and got deeper.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

AND deeper
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #23
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

I took no more photos this day, time was moving on and I seemed to be getting nowhere. Night was approaching , I decided to push on as I was sooo close. I had left the red sand behind and was now in Bull Dust conditions. Large holes covered in the stuff. I had a couple of close calls when my feet were thrown off the pegs and hit my saddle bags...not good. The wind was still blowing. and at one stage my temp was way up. but turned out to be no air flow over radiator ( tail wind) when I was at a crawling speed over rocks. A huge electrical storm had brewed up with lightning like nothing I'd seen in the city. At one stage I stopped to sit / lay down as I was the highest thing around and thought I'd be a good target. I then thought I saw something ahead. ( I was concentrating on the next 20m of road ahead) a herd of cattle came charging out from my left.. scared the life out of me.

3 fires started in the distance and on my sides from lightning strikes. This was a bit of a concern as I still had a way to go. Finally, I arrived at the Innamincka Pub at 9pm. What a day, 14hrs and 426km. I was happy . I'd finally ridden the CORDILLO ROAD after waiting for 11years. The KLR was running sweet..a day to remember.

Ian Robinson screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 04:30 PM Reason: better explaination
Old 11-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #24
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Day 7 (198km)
I had pushed my luck a far as I should the previous day. I had already covered 2400km over some very ordinary roads. Today, I would take it easy .. see Burkes grave site and the Dig Tree. An easy ride of about 15km to the grave.. this was quite a unique feeling for me as I had researched this expedition throughly. I nearly ran over a Mulga or King Brown snake ( I think) so extra care needed when walking tracks. This was a beautiful area on the Cooper Creek. And I thought of all the "knockers' Burke had , he did very well without a GPS.

* for Overseas inmates... ( Burke & Wills Expedition..1861..first South to North crossing of Australia.all died except King)
Attached Images

Ian Robinson screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 03:55 AM Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #25
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Dig Tree another 50km or so across the Queensland border. I could hardly believe I was standing on the same ground that the historic DEPOT LXV was located..
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #26
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

I headed back to the camp area, very happy with my self.. another huge storm was building, about 3 km from the Pub all hell broke loose. heavy rain fell and I was soaked on arrival, ( really pi..ed off my clean change of cloths were wet) The Beer garden flooded, my tent was flattened , everyone stopped, what a way to finish the day.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #27
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

No longer 5 star accomodation
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #28
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo