Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #46
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
I am embarrassed to say the KLR got blown off the side stand for a second time at Warri Gate. I just could not believe it happen again ( just as well no one saw me)

Got into Tibooburra mid afternoon, set up camp on ground soooo hard I bent 2 x tent pegs. Ended up using Rocks as anchor points. Wind was still hammering in . So tried to "hide" behind some bushes.
Attached Images

Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #47
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Camp site
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #48
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Day 10 Tibooburra to Cameron Corner and return. 290KM.

Morning.... at this time I had covered 3090km. Once I reached Cameron Corner most of the "hard stuff" would be over I thought.? I departed without breakfast which was becoming a bit of a habit on this trip. The dirt was quick and I thought if this keeps up I can return by night fall. My luck ran out at Fort Grey. The last 30 km was heavily corrigated. but was worth the effort, got a good pic of the Dingo fence.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #49
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Cameron Corner : The obligatory photo of the meeting point of 3 Australian states.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #50
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Brisk trading at the bar........ note the shirt

* for O/S inmates.. Pies refer to Melbourne football team.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #51
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

On the return trip, I wanted to stop and see the remains of the original Fort Grey homestead.

Not much left.....
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 01:17 AM   #52
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

I also wanted to see a famous tree blaze that Charles Sturt cut in this area in July 1845. while his expedition was looking for the "inland sea". Day light was rapidly running out. I took 2 ltre water and headed off on a 2hr walk.( thought I might do it in 1 1/2 hrs) Followed the small signs to Lake Pinaroo.

This lake was evaporating slowly. Most of the trees were dying or dead. I was watched by several Emu and Roos. I lost the signs after about 2 km, ( about 150mm square and a flat silver colour) if I keep the lake on my left side I should be OK??. However, remembering the late time of day and having my first "uneasy feeling of vulnerability" I had to return without finding the tree. I feel this area is very badly signed, and feel improvments should be made. I will email the State dept. responsible for this area with my suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #53
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Funny how the mind works, I don't like to think I take unnecessary risks, But travelling alone in this remote outback country on a motorcycle could be regarded by some as High Risk. Only three times have I been a bit on edge.

1/ when I visited the J C Hotel ruins in 2000 when travelling to Birdsville on my mountain bike. I "felt really uneasy" in the surrounds and left immediately. ( did not get same feeling this time)

2/ I had to pass a guy in a stationary Ute. ( did not look like a tourist) at about the 300km mark on the way to Birdsville on my MTB. Thought he might "brain" me with a shovel. Bodies might never be found out there.

3/ This visit to Lake Pinaroo looking for Sturts tree.. very uneasy.

Anyway, got back to Tibooburra at 6.30pm and had a great tea at the Pub.. a good day .... KLR running sweet as usual.

Ian Robinson screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 05:48 PM Reason: better description
Old 11-28-2011, 02:11 AM   #54
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Speaking of feeling vulnerable. I forgot to include this photo taken about 30km south of Nuccundra. A pack of 7 or 8 Dingos.( a couple had already gone bush by the time I got the camera out.) Check out the two "leaders of the pack" holding their ground.

I would be uncomfortable lying injured along side my bike knowing this pack was on the prowl.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #55
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Day 11 Tibooburra to Bourke 459km

Enough of that .......I was now heading home. The locals must have been having a go at me as they suggested it was over 500k to Bourke. (450 being dirt.) I slept on a concrete pad with out putting up my tent with lightning on the western horizon . I needed a early start, no breakfast again.

The road was very boring, the usual emu and kangaroos to keep you awake. Road conditions were changing all the time, from hard smooth pack to loose sandy gravel. I had been pushing big days since I left. the fact that I was heading home ment I had to be EXTRA careful.

The day dragged on. Finally after passing through Wanaaring I arrived at Bourke. I stayed in a little cabin at the Kidman Van Park in North Bourke. As suggested by the locals and highly recomended.

The following pic. I think is unique,not having seen anything like it in other areas. ... a walking /running track with dotted lines PLUS a bike lane along side the main highway. I could understand the reasoning in a major town or city...But in BOURKE ??
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #56
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Day 12. Bourke to Lightning Ridge 225km

Back on the bitumen full time now and what a relief. An easy day today. Lighnting Ridge is famous world wide for the supply of beautiful Black opal. Plenty of fire in these stones. On display was a opalized Dinosaur tooth which I thought was very cool.

I stayed in a new cabin and spent 30 minutes in a free hot natural spa pool. That was heaven and soaked away many a stiff muscle.

Note. Lightning Ridge was named after a Shepherd, his Dog and 600 head of sheep were hit and killed by a bolt of Lightning in the late 1800s.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 03:08 AM   #57
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Day 13.. Lightning Ridge to Brisbane. ( Logan City) 785km

Last day today, The old girl was running soooo sweet now we were back on the black stuff. Early start and I followed some "back roads" via Hebel, Dirranbandi, Thallon, Nindigully,Talwood, Goondiwindi, Inglewood, Warwick Boonah and Beaudesert..My longest day

1 hour from home all traffic was stopped by a bush fire just out of Beaudesert. Sh.t, I'd got this close and we were in for a long wait. But we got through and arrived home 7.30 pm.

It was great to see my wife, eat and sleep in my own bed.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 04:56 AM   #58
Sundowner
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,596
Awesome ride and report. You certainly experienced everything the outback has to offer. That rain must have been huge. Nothing worse than camping in the wet. Especially when your tent is flattened. At least the pub was close by. Every cloud has a .... The option of taking the lift with the gas field truck crew was a sensible one. Well done to those guys. It's so easy to get stranded out there after a big rain, so the decision should/would have been so easy for anyone. Never refuse outback hospitality - it's offered for a good reason! Great photos. Amazing that a place can look identical after a long period between visits, but that's the nature of the country.
And welcome to ADVrider. You're certainly doing it right.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.

Sundowner screwed with this post 11-28-2011 at 06:42 AM Reason: smiley malfunction
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:54 AM   #59
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Yep, tks for your comments. It IS a fantastic part of Australia. I love it & will be back at some future date. I thought the sand might be my biggest problem, But the rain / mud was unbelievable. ( glad I experienced it first hand) One could be it BIG trouble if at the wrong place at the wrong time. Outback folk are unique. very friendly and helpful...nothing seems to be too much trouble.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #60
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

SUMMARY:

Total distance 4952km
Longest day 785km
Time taken 13 days ( Av. daily..380km)
Total Fuel used 207.49 ltres
Av fuel consumption 23.86km per ltre
Fuel cost $2.05 ltre Innamincka ( most expensive)
Problems No problems with KLR ( rider needed constant tune up)

Pls note for what it is worth...Don't take too much notice of road reports from City drivers in 4x4s.. some go very quick and blow / shred many tyres. If riding solo I suggest reduce your speed by 10kph to be on safe side.

I am 62 yrs of age and found that all the road conditions could be handled in safety if speed was reduced.

photo... Standard fitment Dunlop with 7952 km up. (about 2000 k on dirt. )
Attached Images