Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #211
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,050
modification time for the prancing horse....

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #212
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
modification time for the prancing horse....

I was just about to make the same post.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #213
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I was just about to make the same post.
one more....

Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #214
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
The limit becomes one of geometry. The upper and lower wishbones have to be a certain distance apart on order for the wheel/upright to maintain the proper angles through it's movement. That said, most of this nose issue is prompted on the new rule that the nose height may not exceed 550mm due to the fact that some noses were getting too close to the cockpit minimum height of 625mm. The difference between the bulkhead/chassis placement and the nose height restriction is why the hump noses are now appearing. Simply moving the suspension down may help with CoG, but it then interferes with the aerodynamics through the massively important frontal zone which serves to channel the airflow to the most critical of areas, under the car and around the sidepods. The more 'free' area under the nose, the better they are able to control and sculpt the airflow. The last thing they want is to have to incorporate clunky suspension bits there.
That makes sense, but the problem I see is that in stepping the nose you're creating a lot of drag and turbulent air. Why not give it a series of curves to achieve the same goals but without the step (a la McLaren)? For some reason I can't see an aerodynamicist liking that shape, in that area, on an otherwise slippery chassis.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #215
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
That makes sense, but the problem I see is that in stepping the nose you're creating a lot of drag and turbulent air. Why not give it a series of curves to achieve the same goals but without the step (a la McLaren)? For some reason I can't see an aerodynamicist liking that shape, in that area, on an otherwise slippery chassis.
The reality is that they are not that slippery. F1 cars will run a coefficient of drag between .75 and 1.1 or so depending on wing configuration, compared to a slippery road car of a .35 or so. The key is not so much slipperiness as it is shaping and controlling the airflow for maximum downforce when needed or maximum flow when needed. I don't think that the humps are as aerodynamically challenging as the look, but I presume the interesting shape of the Newey designed on creates a clean vortex around the cockpit sides back to the rear wing whereas the Ferrari hump looks like a barge.

Interestingly, it could be utilized as a single surfaced wing to direct airflow up, thereby exerting a little downward pressure directly at the front axle. Probably won't do much but look ugly, but it could add a little downforce.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #216
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

In comparing here, it looks like the Force India has the most aggressive of the humps with the Ferrari being the most slabbed, The cup shape of the FI car suggests they are trying to capture as much downforce potential as possible whereas the Ferrari's simply looks like they looked at it simply as a step from height A requirement to height B requirement. It looks unimaginative and uninspiring.

I know everyone was waiting on the Newey car, but he looks to have taken a different route by a hideous hump, but utilizing the space for a duct. He says only for driver cooling but that is way too big for that. I presume clever ducting, F-ducting type of stuff.

The HRT car looks skinny in the nose but also includes one of the smoothest of the hump designs. As far as the Sauber, they'd be happy just keep the damn nose and wing on the thing.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #217
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,352
Quote:
I know everyone was waiting on the Newey car, but he looks to have taken a different route by a hideous hump, but utilizing the space for a duct. He says only for driver cooling but that is way too big for that. I presume clever ducting, F-ducting type of stuff.
Yes, once again Newey may have stolen the march on everyone else. (Except, perhaps, McLaren, who reportedly have their own f-duct stuff.)

I'm no engineer, nor do I play one on the internet. My understanding of all this is minimal. But it's interesting that only Newey has the hump duct.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #218
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Yes, once again Newey may have stolen the march on everyone else. (Except, perhaps, McLaren, who reportedly have their own f-duct stuff.)

I'm no engineer, nor do I play one on the internet. My understanding of all this is minimal. But it's interesting that only Newey has the hump duct.
A la debut F-duct McLaren, expect more than a few hump ducts to show up at the first race as the rest of the engineers try to figure out a use for them.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #219
g容g
Canadian living in exile

highlights

Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #220
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

I'm not an official engineer but I've had some studies along that line in my day. The attraction that F1 holds for me is mostly along two fronts, the engineering/technical side and the strategic/team side. The actual racing itself is mostly a benefit as I see it, just one part of the overall display.

The way these teams approach the rules and problems and some of the sheer genius that comes out as solutions is mind boggling. I think far beyond any other form of motorsport. That is all part of the reasons why I never much cared for the overtaking debate or had a problem with pitlane passes or fuel stops. I don't like the FIA's meddling as far as madating stops or mandating that certain tire be used.

I recall a race some years back, I don't have the memory to pick out which one, but it was probably 2003 or 4 or so. Schumacher was several seconds down in second place, something like 30 seconds back or so. This was during the Ferrari years. Whomever was leading was set to pit and I recall the radio transmission of Ross Brawn telling Michael that he needed 32 seconds or so. He took off and for the next few laps simply blistered the pace. He pitted and came out just ahead into the lead. To me, the strategy of it made for one of the greatest passes. Most will scoff and mention Ren Arnoux vs. Gilles Villeneuve or Hakkinen at Spa. Those are great to watch for the sheer action, and car to car, there have been many greats, but to see the strategy unfold lap by lap, almost being able to see the thinking between Schumacher and Brawn, it was magical, not in a fan of MS or a Tifosi sort of way, but as a fan of strategic thinking.

All that said, I find this McLaren photo fascinating for the simply structure attached to the side. I was sure what it was but an explanation shows that it is a movable bar filled with inlets for air pressure/temp/direction sensors. I looks to be controlled by a windshield wiper motor and a couple of parallel bars to raise and lower the height. The level of technical detail is stunning.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #221
jeiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
highlights

What's up with all the masts? Looks like Ferrari is ready to deploy the largest main sail. Prepare to jibe!
jeiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #222
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
Kimi was absolutely effusive - too bad I don't understand Finnish (or was that Swedish?), I'll bet it was eye opening.

Was Keke speaking Finnish or Swedish?
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #223
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Kimi was absolutely effusive - too bad I don't understand Finnish (or was that Swedish?), I'll bet it was eye opening.

Was Keke speaking Finnish or Swedish?

I think they were both speaking Spanish to the media...

Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #224
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
I think they were both speaking Spanish to the media...
The only Spanish on the entire clip was the guitar music.
Oh, and Jackie Stewart ordering a taco for lunch
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #225
g容g
Canadian living in exile

the HRT looks completely wrong...