ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #466
g容g
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,182
when they said the tires "would go off a cliff" they weren't kidding. Poor Kimi... bad team tactics there I think. Good race.. I never would have pegged Rosberg to win.
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #467
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,307
What a race! That was the most enjoyable one in years.
I don't care much for Nico, or Mercedes, but I don't begrudge them their first win, and I'm glad another brand of car has taken a win.
When those tires go off, they sure do. I was crushed watching Kimi drive backwards, 12 places in one lap.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #468
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
When those tires go off, they sure do. I was crushed watching Kimi drive backwards, 12 places in one lap.
That was shocking.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #469
g容g
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,182
Kimi sounds like he's philosophical at least

What happened when Sebastian got past you?

I had been keeping him behind me, but finally my tyres were too far gone for me to keep him there. I went wide and then I was on the marbles. I had very little traction on the loose stuff and because it was so close a lot of cars went past me. It was then too late to make another stop so it was frustrating. It was the strategy we chose, and I wouldnt have been fighting for second if wed gone for a three stop. Maybe we should have run a longer second stint, as that worked for Romain. We learnt a lot about the tyres.


I wouldnt have been fighting for second if wed gone for a three stop


Are you frustrated the strategy chosen didnt work?

It looked the best one for us and it worked for Romain. If we had the same information again, wed probably try the same approach. It didnt work, but you dont know these things unless you try them. We will now know better for next time. We were pretty close to finishing on the podium. We didnt. Thats racing.
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #470
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
Kimi sounds like he's philosophical at least

What happened when Sebastian got past you?

I had been keeping him behind me, but finally my tyres were too far gone for me to keep him there. I went wide and then I was on the marbles. I had very little traction on the loose stuff and because it was so close a lot of cars went past me. It was then too late to make another stop so it was frustrating. It was the strategy we chose, and I wouldnt have been fighting for second if wed gone for a three stop. Maybe we should have run a longer second stint, as that worked for Romain. We learnt a lot about the tyres.


I wouldnt have been fighting for second if wed gone for a three stop


Are you frustrated the strategy chosen didnt work?

It looked the best one for us and it worked for Romain. If we had the same information again, wed probably try the same approach. It didnt work, but you dont know these things unless you try them. We will now know better for next time. We were pretty close to finishing on the podium. We didnt. Thats racing.
Forgive my ignorance but shouldn't teams be learning about the tires during testing and practice, NOT during the races?
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #471
g容g
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
Forgive my ignorance but shouldn't teams be learning about the tires during testing and practice, NOT during the races?
very little testing for F1 anymore and practice at China was either drizzly or cooler than expected.
they rolled the dice, and came up snake eyes. it could have been the other way round, with Kimi 2nd, and everyone would have applauded their brilliance.
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #472
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing
 
doyle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Off Piste
Oddometer: 22,721
Pirelli's have been garbage for years, both in racing and on the street. I've had a few cars that came with them and they always disappoint through either quickly dryrotting, cupping, or uneven wear no matter how diligent I am at keeping the car aligned. One of my first priorities when they get worn enough to replace them is to get that trash off the car.

Their record in F1 has been no different. Graining, quick degradation, why not rig the cars so that the rear wing falls away randomly? It would provide a similar amount of warning and resulting performance that those rubber disasters do.
__________________
Got Smugmug? Use code HWkDUhHwGv5Tc for a discount.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #473
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I wish TV coverage had a graphic showing us how many laps each car has on its tires. In a race like this, it would really help to know who's been out long and who hasn't.
That's the sort of thing the commentators should be tracking and Hobbs, Varsha, and Matchett were totally clueless. As Kimi bubbled up to 2nd I was wondering why they weren't tracking who behind him had made their 3rd stop and were likely to come charging past. When Kimi started dropping places, I recall Hobbs saying something like "Are Kimi's tires older than the others?" or something like this. Ridiculous.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #474
g容g
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
That's the sort of thing the commentators should be tracking and Hobbs, Varsha, and Matchett were totally clueless. As Kimi bubbled up to 2nd I was wondering why they weren't tracking who behind him had made their 3rd stop and were likely to come charging past. When Kimi started dropping places, I recall Hobbs saying something like "Are Kimi's tires older than the others?" or something like this. Ridiculous.

- Mark
I've said it before.. and for fun I'll say it again: Speed's coverage guys suck cock... they have no clue. I used to sort of like Matchett, but he's become too enamored by the sound of his own voice. the only good thing is making the comment moments before they clue in on it (if they do at all) and pointing out their stupidity.

That, and drinking every time they mention Paul Diresta is Dario's cousin
they need to say Paul is Ashley Judd's cousin in law to switch it up a bit
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #475
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
quick degradation
Why blame Pirelli when that's what F1 asked them to do?

They degrade by design. They're not intended to last.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #476
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 74,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
That's the sort of thing the commentators should be tracking and Hobbs, Varsha, and Matchett were totally clueless. As Kimi bubbled up to 2nd I was wondering why they weren't tracking who behind him had made their 3rd stop and were likely to come charging past. When Kimi started dropping places, I recall Hobbs saying something like "Are Kimi's tires older than the others?" or something like this. Ridiculous.

- Mark
I agree. I had the same questions about Vettel's tires at the end of the race, and they were similarly unhelpful.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #477
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing
 
doyle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Off Piste
Oddometer: 22,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Why blame Pirelli when that's what F1 asked them to do?

They degrade by design. They're not intended to last.
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up. My time to follow all the story lines also degrades through the years but it doesn't reduce my hate for Pirelli.

If this is the case, it just reinforces my dislike for the artificial attempts to introduce parity through the field. KERS, no artificial tire degradation mandatory tire usage. I never minded the F1 show or the perceived lack of passing. Passing for the sake of artificial means may make it more exciting for the race fans but I guess I am more of a tech/strategy fan and I dislike the conjured up ways for the sake of 'excitement'.
__________________
Got Smugmug? Use code HWkDUhHwGv5Tc for a discount.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #478
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I agree. I had the same questions about Vettel's tires at the end of the race, and they were similarly unhelpful.
I exchanged email with my son about the last race and how differing tire strategies seemed to fly right past the Speed crew. He summed it up better than I could:
Matchett has a tendency to lose sight of the big picture in the race, Hobbs is basically senile, and Varsha doesn't usually like to bring things up that they don't. I like the Speed commentary guys but it always feels like they're missing something important.
- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #479
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis
 
Ragin Rabbi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Western Maryland
Oddometer: 5,007
I like Hobbes.. I find his humor kinda refreshing. And though his time behind the wheel is long past, he does bring an interesting perspective.

Matchet is a mechanic, always will be. He looses the forest for the trees. BUT, he too has brought somethings to my attention that I may have missed.

Vascha (or however it is spelled) seems like he is trying too hard to keep the other two focused. And he fails. BUT, he has picked up a few things the other two have missed.

Yeah, I am strange. But I would sorta miss 'em if they got replaced. And I don't see them finding a "Hobbes" who wouldn't be a total prat.

Just me.
__________________
Each according to their need, each according to their ability.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #480
srad600
Studly Adventurer
 
srad600's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Oakland, Kalli Fornia
Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Vettel getting soundly beaten by Webber is shocking and I reluctantly have to admit that Rak daddy still has it even if he couldn't manage his tires.
There were at least two races last year where Webber was faster than Vettel and he was told to "hold position" behind his teamate. I think Webber has been consistently fast in the RB car both last year and this.

Love seeing guys actually fighting for position again.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014