Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #541
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace100 View Post
Boy, some people really do have blind spots. Bernie is nuts!
I'm sure she loves him for who he is.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #542
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I'm sure she loves him for who he is.
Romance like that kind of brings a tear to your eye.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #543
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,259
Money has nothing to do with it I'm sure.

And they say love doesn't cost a thing. Where is my Brazillian girl friend?
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #544
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Money has nothing to do with it I'm sure.

And they say love doesn't cost a thing. Where is my Brazillian girl friend?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #545
wxwax
Excited Member

Looking at that piccie, maybe they're a good fit. He doesn't have to lower his head that much to get a mouthful.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #546
wxwax
Excited Member

My soccer team, Chelsea, have entered into a relationship with Sauber.

Basically, it sounds like Sauber will put the Chelsea logo on their car. And Chelsea will run Sauber ads on their pitch-side advertising boards and on the background used for post-match television interviews. Cross pollination, as it were.

This is good, I like Sauber.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #547
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,853
Can't believe it took me this long--- I wanted to catch it in the theater when it played for one weekend in Santa Fe last fall--- but I finally watched Senna via Netflix.

As many before me have said, impressive Movie. Well worth watching.

Since I didn't follow F1 until the mid 2000's and I'm sure they are issues that have been hashed over... I know Ayrton was a very awesomely good driver- but how reckless was he? The film touches on it, but also seems to gloss over the subject.

Also something else I noted, I really enjoyed watching the mid to late 80's cars. I'm sure they weren't, but they seemed faster than today's cars. The onboard footage from Senna's first almost win at Monaco was unreal. It seems like HD and big screens and some ways has taken away the feel-- where HD usually ads to it. Maybe it is just that the cars seemed to work harder for the speed?

Any comments please.--- I know some of this is probably 205, but we have a couple of weeks.

edit: I did find this mini-discussion early in the thread. I agree, with JN the movie was definitely a hagiography.

One other thought I had was how in someways Massa's being struck in the head was similar to Senna's. I wonder if that ads to his feelings of mortality? Massa, I think most will agree hasn't had that edge- that makes for a top driver- since his return.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports

Jurgen screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 10:29 PM
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #548
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,033
sex

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #549
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I know Ayrton was a very awesomely good driver- but how reckless was he? The film touches on it, but also seems to gloss over the subject.

Any comments please.
It sure did. I was ambivalent. I thought the documentary worked really well as a piece of fictionalized reality. It's not a truthful telling of the story, though. Sorry if this is a repeat for you, but this is what I wrote after seeing it.

Senna (a documentary)

Ayrton Senna is an important figure in F1's history. He was a great driver (some say the greatest) and arguably was on his way to becoming a great man.

The documentary Senna may please his family and his devoted admirers, but it sells history short.

It's just too one-sided. It has comic book villains and an unsullied hero. Alain Prost takes the brunt of it. The movie suggests, being careful never to state, that he won because of his political, not his driving, skills. Oh, and he cheated on his wife. Balestre is an ogre. Even Schumacher gets it, with hints that he cheated.

Senna, meanwhile is a super-talented racer in touch with God and also, by the way, a humanitarian. Humble, too.

Of course there's a great deal of truth in that.

But the movie never directly addresses anything negative about him. Its way of addressing questions about his driving style and his conduct within his teams is in the form of his own replies, which seek to introduce the subjects by vindicating him at the same time.

Senna was many wonderful things. But he wasn't perfect. Senna the film is marvelous in many ways; a glimpse into his life and F1 racing with film and audio I've never seen or heard before. But it's not perfect either. It's close to being a hagiography, almost literally.

For a balanced view of this historic figure, we'll have to wait a while longer.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #550
g容g
Canadian living in exile

new front wing (and old) at Sauber

Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #551
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Red Bull's Brembo caliper: 2 linear displacement sensors, used to measure pad wear and symmetry

Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #552
eric2
容gister this:

Oddometer: 3,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post

Since I didn't follow F1 until the mid 2000's and I'm sure they are issues that have been hashed over... I know Ayrton was a very awesomely good driver- but how reckless was he? The film touches on it, but also seems to gloss over the subject.

Also something else I noted, I really enjoyed watching the mid to late 80's cars. I'm sure they weren't, but they seemed faster than today's cars. The onboard footage from Senna's first almost win at Monaco was unreal. It seems like HD and big screens and some ways has taken away the feel-- where HD usually ads to it. Maybe it is just that the cars seemed to work harder for the speed?

Any comments please.--- I know some of this is probably 205, but we have a couple of weeks.

edit: I did find this mini-discussion early in the thread. I agree, with JN the movie was definitely a hagiography.

One other thought I had was how in someways Massa's being struck in the head was similar to Senna's. I wonder if that ads to his feelings of mortality? Massa, I think most will agree hasn't had that edge- that makes for a top driver- since his return.
Haven't seen the movie, so this is all jmnsho. Senna was a brilliant driver no doubt, but he was surly, and reckless to a point, kinda like the dale earnhardt of F1. Rain always sorts the men from the boys, and senna was at his best in the wet. Back in the 90s they ran a wet F1 race in australia, but it was too wet, with inches deep standing water.

F1 should have red flagged it but they ran it anyway with a massive crash at the first corner. Afterward Ayrton was interviewed, he kinda shrugged his shoullders and said that it was stupid to hold the race but he didn't care, so he charged into the first corner WFO and let the chips fall where they may. Many thought that was reckless.

When he and prost raced for mcclaren, he took out prost to win the championship, pretty reckless IMO. Punched Eddie Irvine because Eddie didn't let him pass quick enough, Eddie was kind of a dick too.

F1 cars back then were really difficult, 1500hp, 4 cylinder turbos with ungodly boost that would blow up often, Driving one of those must be like walking on eggshells. WFO or nothing. Aerodynamics and tires are where most of the speed improvement have come since then.

I watched Senna's last race, I don't remember him even being injured before, and i don't think anyone knows to this day what sent him off course, it certainly looked like a mechanical failure. Its a real shame him and Schumi didn't get to compete more, they were both head and shoulders above the rest.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #553
g容g
Canadian living in exile

new STR exhaust

Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #554
wxwax
Excited Member

It will be interesting to see how many teams change their exhaust for Spain.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #555
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
It will be interesting to see how many teams change their exhaust for Spain.
Why would they?
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote