Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #601
Flys Lo
cool hand fluke

Oddometer: 323
Thanks for sharing those videos! The sound in that second video in particular was incredible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
So what? This isn't a fashion show.
Nope, but I want to be entertained by F1, and I much prefer to watch aesthetically pleasing cars than not.

If you go to the strippers, you don't go to watch the fat ones just because they are more willing to get their tits out, do ya?
Flys Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #602
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flys Lo View Post
If you go to the strippers, you don't go to watch the fat ones just because they are more willing to get their tits out, do ya?
How fat?
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #603
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flys Lo View Post
The sound in that second video in particular was incredible.
What a great, snarly sound.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #604
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
testing the new nose at McLaren:

And a Ferrari V12, especially the wide angle, horribly atrocious to service ones, will always be the best sounding engines ever.

And expect the Scuderia to be better in Barcelona than at any other track this season, I am betting they will surprise this weekend.

And I am still waiting on the worst kept secret in F1 to be announced, Massa will be replaced by the Mexican.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #605
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post

And I am still waiting on the worst kept secret in F1 to be announced, Massa will be replaced by the Mexican.
Rumors of Webber getting that seat are goin around...
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #606
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,597
These cars are the absolute cutting edge of technology on the planet for this year. Designs come and go, but this is the very best they have today. They ALL look good.

Even some of the ugly ones from the seventies are still beautiful if viewed in the technology of the day.

If one of you guys that dont like the step have a better functioning anmd looking idea, lets see it. I'm sure they'd like another car on the grid...

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #607
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
These cars are the absolute cutting edge of technology on the planet for this year. Designs come and go, but this is the very best they have today. They ALL look good.

Even some of the ugly ones from the seventies are still beautiful if viewed in the technology of the day.

If one of you guys that dont like the step have a better functioning anmd looking idea, lets see it. I'm sure they'd like another car on the grid...
+10000

and in other news:

Alonso says Ferrari is back: LINK

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #608
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post

Nonsense. Ugly is ugly, regardless of efficiency.

Despite what I posted earlier, aesthetics and function are different things.

You choose to define anything functional as being de facto beautiful.

I strongly disagree, as would anyone with taste. And the fact that I personally am not a better designer is completely irrelevant, a spurious argument.

Functional things can be ugly, and beautiful things can be without function.

For example, ugly efficiency in F1:

Ligier JS5

Brabham BT26

STP March 711

Arrows A22

Boomerang 20 Tyrrell

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #609
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Alonso says Ferrari is back: LINK
You have more faith than do I. I like the red team, and this season it's definitely been "horses for courses", but they have a gap of close to a full second to make up. Too much, I fear.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #610
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
You have more faith than do I. I like the red team, and this season it's definitely been "horses for courses", but they have a gap of close to a full second to make up. Too much, I fear.
ah you mistake... "Alonso" says they are back... me? I think Kimi will stand on the top step

Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #611
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
ah you mistake... "Alonso" says they are back... me? I think Kimi will stand on the top step
Yes, sorry, I mistook you for Dilli's earlier post. I realize no amount of apologies will suffice!

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #612
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Yes, sorry, I mistook you for Dilli's earlier post. I realize no amount of apologies will suffice!
damn near got yourself blocked....

although to be fair, I did support the eyebrow last year for "strategic" reasons.... (upset an English mate of mine)

Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #613
wxwax
Excited Member

Interesting comments from Alonso.

It's been evident for a while that NASCAR drivers take more chances than they used to because they trust their cars to protect their lives.

I guess it never occurred to me that open-wheel racers would have the same mentality. Alonso thinks they do. He thinks today's F1 drivers show less respect to each other (i.e. drive more aggressively and dangerously) than did their forebears.

Alonso: "On top of that, there was definitely more respect then than there is now between us drivers, partly because they knew that, in those cars, they were risking their lives."

The incident that provoked this line of discussion was Rosberg's willingness to force other cars off the track in Bahrain. Yes, Prost and Senna tangled, but on very slow corners. And I still believe Schumacher didn't immediately understand how close he took Barrichello to the wall (and I think he later apologized.)

I guess I thought that despite safety advances, the obvious perils of an open cockpit and exposed wheels would make F1 drivers safety conscious. Perhaps not.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #614
g容g
Canadian living in exile

interesting spin on it Sid

I have heard similar arguments regarding wearing a helmet: those who say no helmet is "safe" say this is true because they are aware of the risk and drive slowly. They go on to say people in full gear drive recklessly because they think their gear will save them.

I suspect the aero of the modern cars has a lot more to do with the lack of passing.....

Interesting comments though.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #615
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,946
Quote:
Interesting comments from Alonso.

It's been evident for a while that NASCAR drivers take more chances than they used to because they trust their cars to protect their lives.

I guess it never occurred to me that open-wheel racers would have the same mentality. Alonso thinks they do. He thinks today's F1 drivers show less respect to each other (i.e. drive more aggressively and dangerously) than did their forebears.

Alonso: "On top of that, there was definitely more respect then than there is now between us drivers, partly because they knew that, in those cars, they were risking their lives."

The incident that provoked this line of discussion was Rosberg's willingness to force other cars off the track in Bahrain. Yes, Prost and Senna tangled, but on very slow corners. And I still believe Schumacher didn't immediately understand how close he took Barrichello to the wall (and I think he later apologized.)

I guess I thought that despite safety advances, the obvious perils of an open cockpit and exposed wheels would make F1 drivers safety conscious. Perhaps not.
epidemiological studies indicate this is pretty prevalent, even among those of us who aren't engaging in overly risky behavior. abs, traction control, air bags, safety restraint systems, all wheel drive; all these safety items certainly contribute to lower rates of injury and fatality but may also give drivers a false sense of security and lead to a higher level of risk acceptance.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote