Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #676
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Is that a pit stop during practice? What are the front wing guys doing?

As an aside, no wonder F1's expensive. They even use carbon fiber to make the utility poles which support the air hoses above the car.

I think it may have been practice. Can you see the two GoPro's strapped to the carbon strut in the close up picture...?

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #677
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,188
Quote:
Is that a pit stop during practice? What are the front wing guys doing?
Adjusting wing angle, I think.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #678
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
Can you see the two GoPro's strapped to the carbon strut in the close up picture...?
Good one, I'm missed that.

Harv, any idea what the device is, that the guy is using on the front right wing?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #679
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,188
Quote:
Good one, I'm missed that.

Harv, any idea what the device is, that the guy is using on the front right wing?
Guessing: Cordless drill/screwdriver with torque setting? Or max degree of rotation setting?

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #680
g容g
Canadian living in exile

very cool thoughts on McLaren's adjustable brake ducts (rear)

LINK

serious wallpaper shot (huge) LINK

Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #681
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
very cool thoughts on McLaren's adjustable brake ducts (rear)
Very interesting.

BTW, my weak Google-fu shows that a F1 tire changer makes somewhere between $35,000 and $100,000 a year depending upon team and experience. I found one person, who claims to know a former F1 pit crew member, who says it's a burn-out job and that they often quit after 2-3 years. And that there's an endless supply of guys who want to take their place. No idea if any of this is true.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #682
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,924
Quote:
Very interesting.

BTW, my weak Google-fu shows that a F1 tire changer makes somewhere between $35,000 and $100,000 a year depending upon team and experience. I found one person, who claims to know a former F1 pit crew member, who says it's a burn-out job and that they often quit after 2-3 years. And that there's an endless supply of guys who want to take their place. No idea if any of this is true.
20+ years ago, when i was in college i desperately wanted to work for a race team. indy car, not f1. a race engineer came to campus for a talk and quickly disabused us of any notions of a glamorous career. miserable hours, endless travel, low pay, extremely narrow, focused tasks, etc.

and while he was pretty positive about the whole experience, he was also very frank about the toll that it would take at the higher levels of the sport.

this guy was then with a manufacturer but had worked on a team for several years prior to moving on.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #683
g容g
Canadian living in exile

GREAT ARTICLE ON TIRES

ESPN LINK

Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #684
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Force India trying side pod fins now

Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #685
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
GREAT ARTICLE ON TIRES

ESPN LINK
Interesting. I always read the comments, and the first one, naturally, says Pirelli is clueless. I think people forget that Pirelli was told to make the tires fragile, in order to produce the kind or racing we've been enjoying.

Regarding the importance of tire pressure; do the tires lose pressure in parc ferme overnight, and are teams allowed to pump air into them on race morning?

Tires have been getting all the attention this season. But it seems to me that the single biggest reason the field is wide open on race day is because of the prohibitions on exhaust gasses over the rear diffuser. That's a major design change, and major design changes often have a leveling effect, until the rich teams pull ahead again.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #686
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Interesting. I always read the comments, and the first one, naturally, says Pirelli is clueless. I think people forget that Pirelli was told to make the tires fragile, in order to produce the kind or racing we've been enjoying.

Regarding the importance of tire pressure; do the tires lose pressure in parc ferme overnight, and are teams allowed to pump air into them on race morning?

Tires have been getting all the attention this season. But it seems to me that the single biggest reason the field is wide open on race day is because of the prohibitions on exhaust gasses over the rear diffuser. That's a major design change, and major design changes often have a leveling effect, until the rich teams pull ahead again.

yup
Quote:
Between these times, other than when cars are returned to the parc ferme overnight, the following work may be carried out :
- engines may be started ;
- fuel may be added or removed and a fuel breather fitted ;
- wheels, wheel fasteners and tyres may be removed, changed or rebalanced and tyre pressures checked ;
- spark plugs may be removed in order to carry out an internal engine inspection and cylinder compression checks ;
- permitted heating or cooling devices may be fitted ;
- a jump battery may be connected and on board electrical units may be freely accessed via a physical connection to the car ;
- charging and / or discharging of the KERS energy storage devices ;
- removal of the KERS energy storage devices which, once marked by the FIA technical delegate, may be retained overnight by the team ;
- the main electrical battery and radio batteries may be changed ;
- the brake system may be bled ;
- engine oil may be drained ;
- compressed gases may be drained or added ;
- fluids with a specific gravity less than 1.1 may be drained and/or replenished, however, fluids used for replenishment must conform to the same specification as the original fluid ;
- the aerodynamic set up of the front wing may be adjusted using the existing parts. No parts may be added, removed or replaced ;
- if the FIA technical delegate is satisfied that changes in climatic conditions necessitate alterations to the specification of a car, changes may be made to the air ducts around the front and rear brakes and radiator ducts. These changes may be made at any time after the message CHANGE IN CLIMATIC CONDITIONS is shown on the timing monitors, from this point the choice of air ducts around the front and rear brakes and radiator ducts is free and pitot tubes may be covered or uncovered, subject always to compliance with the relevant Technical Regulations.
- bodywork (excluding radiators) may be removed and / or cleaned ;
- cosmetic changes may be made to the bodywork and tape may be added ;
- any part of the car may be cleaned ;
- on board cameras, marshalling system components, timing transponders and any associated equipment may be removed, refitted or checked ;
- any work required by the FIA technical delegate ;
- changes to improve the driver's comfort. In this context anything other than the adjustment of mirrors, seat belts and pedals may only be carried out with the specific permission of the FIA technical delegate. The addition or removal of padding (or similar material) is also permitted but may only be carried out under supervision and, if required by the FIA technical delegate, must be removed before the post-race weighing procedure.
- drinking fluid for the driver may be added at any time, however, the capacity of the container for any such fluid must not exceed 1.5 litres ;
- repair of genuine accident damage ;
- any parts which are removed from the car in order to carry out any work specifically permitted above, or any parts removed to carry out essential safety checks, must remain close to it and, at all times, be visible to the scrutineer assigned to the relevant car. Furthermore, any parts removed from the car in order to carry out any such work must be refitted before the car leaves the pit lane.
Any work not listed above may only be undertaken with the approval of the FIA technical delegate following a written request from the team concerned. It must be clear that any replacement part a team wishes to fit is similar in mass, inertia and function to the original. Any parts removed will be retained by the FIA.
However, if a team wishes to change a part during the qualifying session and/or on the grid before the start of the race, this may be done without first seeking the permission of the technical delegate, provided it is reasonable for the relevant team to believe permission would be given if there was time to ask and the broken or damaged part remains in full view of the scrutineer assigned to the car at all times.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #687
wxwax
Excited Member

So, yes. That's a big change.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #688
wxwax
Excited Member

I think we all suspected that Robert Kubica's days as an F1 driver were over.

But this is the first time I've seen it actually reported. Speed's website is reporting -- yes, this is second hand stuff -- that a veteran Swiss journalist says he believes the comeback is over. His evidence is slight -- the absence of fresh reports about Kubica's recovery.

But in the readers' comments there's something from a self-described surgeon which makes a great deal of sense to me. (I write as someone who badly cut my wrist as a child and who has suffered from a life-long lack of manual dexterity as a result.)

Quote:

With much regret I must say...Kubica's career is over, and I have known that for a long time..

As a surgeon I cringed when the seriousness of the accident was revealed, and as the description of his injuries and the ensuing operations dribbled out I feared his career was over. Robert had injuries to his forearm that severed bones, arteries, and nerves.

The initial operations fixed the bones and arteries, meaning that his hand was still attached, but nerve injuries are allmost impossible to repair, and slow to heal.

The resulting denervation, muscle atrophy , and scar tissue will severely impact the dexterity of his hand, and as far as F1 is concerned it is over.

The F1 steering wheel requires gestures he will never be able to perform, and sadly one of the best has been taken from F1.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #689
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
I think we all suspected that Robert Kubica's days as an F1 driver were over.

But this is the first time I've seen it actually reported. Speed's website is reporting -- yes, this is second hand stuff -- that a veteran Swiss journalist says he believes the comeback is over. His evidence is slight -- the absence of fresh reports about Kubica's recovery.

But in the readers' comments there's something from a self-described surgeon which makes a great deal of sense to me. (I write as someone who badly cut my wrist as a child and who has suffered from a life-long lack of manual dexterity as a result.)
I believe that if I am honest I felt the same. I don't believe his racing days are over, but F1? I believe he also said he preferred rally over grand prix.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #690
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,642
Quote:
This is what I hate about the current regulations and why Pirelli, or any company for that matter, would agree to showcase an intentional lack of performance is beyond me. The hardcore fan may understand their position, but Pirelli is in F1 to sell tires to you and me and every casual viewer for our street cars. That casual viewer sees a tire that can't last more than a few laps at optimal performance followed by a significant degradation to the point they are nearly unmanageable. That is not a winning advertising strategy.

I dislike the artificiality of these kinds of regulations. Sure the case could be made that all regulations introduce some effect or artificiality, but this type of intentional manipulation of performance and the inconsistency it introduces rubs me the wrong way almost as much as I hate to see the mountains of clag that build up off the racing line by mid race.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote