ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #901
srad600
Studly Adventurer
 
srad600's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Oakland, Kalli Fornia
Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The video I posted with Grosjean directly contradicts your statement. Grosjean had no more room than Maldonado, but did complete the pass - the only difference was that Hamilton gave Grosjean more room than Maldonado (perhaps because his tires allowed him to). And in any event, the crash was due to Maldonado's actions in the subsequent corner, not in the one you're talking about.

- Mark
OK, I'll give you my "correct corner" error and raise you one "you just argued against your own point in the statement above". First you say "Grosean had no more room than Maldonado", then you say "Hamilton gave grosjean more room than Maldonado"...in the same sentence? You realize those two portions of that sentence are in direct contradiction to one another, right?

Semantics aside, it was a screwy crash that could easily have been avoided if either man had deferred just a bit...neither did and they are both paying for it. I'm looking forward to the next race.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #902
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer
 
Fajita Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Barboursville, VA
Oddometer: 717
__________________
2008 GSXR 600
2001 CR250R


Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #903
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
OK, I'll give you my "correct corner" error and raise you one "you just argued against your own point in the statement above". First you say "Grosean had no more room than Maldonado", then you say "Hamilton gave grosjean more room than Maldonado"...in the same sentence? You realize those two portions of that sentence are in direct contradiction to one another, right?
Guilty of poor wording, but I was referring to two different aspects of the corner. Grosjean had no more room than Maldonado at corner entry, but was allowed more room at corner exit because Hamilton gave it to him. IOW, the only real difference between the Grosjean pass and the Maldonado attempted pass was Hamilton allowing Grosjean some room to make the corner while giving Maldonado no room at all. If you watch the videos of these two passes they are essentially identical in every detail EXCEPT Hamilton giving Grosjean enough room to stay on the track.




- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 11:39 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #904
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer
 
Fajita Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Barboursville, VA
Oddometer: 717
Hamilton's entry speed and line didn't really let him give Maldonado anymore room. I'm sure he didn't mind pushing Maldonado off the track but there isn't always the option of turning sharper when you've already maxed out the cars capability. With Hammy's early apex and late braking point by the time the car was able to get him back to the right they were already at the entrance of the left turn and that's what Hamilton did. I'm not saying he couldn't have turned sharper though... only him and his team know what the car had left in it.

When I first saw it I said it was Hamilton's fault too but it was just a racing incident. Once they both committed to the corner they had about 1 1/2 to 2 seconds to decide on what they could do next. They both made the wrong decision. I think Maldonado had a few more options on how to avoid it. Since he was on a wider arch through the corner and newer tires he had traction left available to brake and alter his direction compared to Hamilton who I'm guessing had his car maxed out on Gs. If Hamilton hit the brakes it would only push him wider into Maldonado because the front tires didn't have anything left to give. It also looked like Maldonado had about 3 feet before he was going to hit the speed bump to keep people from cutting the course. That 3 feet was most likely enough to avoid the wreck.
__________________
2008 GSXR 600
2001 CR250R


Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #905
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
When I first saw it I said it was Hamilton's fault too but it was just a racing incident.
Assigning blame in these sorts of situations is a boondoggle. That's why I agree... the stewards should have just let this one go. My gripe in general is that they intervene way too often. Fortunately, their decision doesn't have much consequence - perhaps they knew this when they made it.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #906
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer
 
HoneyBunz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Miles From Nowhere
Oddometer: 5,201
That is no racing incident!
Maldo was 4 wheels off the track and he tried to re-enter at the apex.
He couldn't legally pass Hamilton, so WTF.
He was playin' chicken with Hamilton.
I hate to see bush league shit like that ruin a race on the last lap.
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #907
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer
 
Fajita Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Barboursville, VA
Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
That is no racing incident!
Maldo was 4 wheels off the track and he tried to re-enter at the apex.
He couldn't legally pass Hamilton, so WTF.
He was playin' chicken with Hamilton.
I hate to see bush league shit like that ruin a race on the last lap.
So why was it that he had all 4 wheels off the track? I'm pretty sure there was this other car that pushed him out there wasn't it? Don't the rules state that you always have to leave a space if there is a car along side of you? They were both at fault because they both screwed up at the same time which makes it a racing incident. If either one of them changed their direction they wouldn't have wrecked.

I don't care what the rules say, if someone puts you in danger of being wrecked than you AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. At the most you lost a few positions instead of being wrecked out of the race whether the person who put you there was right or wrong. Neither of them did a single thing to avoid an accident so that makes them both at fault. They crashed because they were both fighting for position for the same piece of track at the same time.
__________________
2008 GSXR 600
2001 CR250R


Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #908
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer
 
HoneyBunz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Miles From Nowhere
Oddometer: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
So why was it that he had all 4 wheels off the track? I'm pretty sure there was this other car that pushed him out there wasn't it? Don't the rules state that you always have to leave a space if there is a car along side of you? They were both at fault because they both screwed up at the same time which makes it a racing incident. If either one of them changed their direction they wouldn't have wrecked.

I don't care what the rules say, if someone puts you in danger of being wrecked than you AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. At the most you lost a few positions instead of being wrecked out of the race whether the person who put you there was right or wrong. Neither of them did a single thing to avoid an accident so that makes them both at fault. They crashed because they were both fighting for position for the same piece of track at the same time.
Off track is off track. No if, ands, or buts. Nobody "pushed" him. He went off by choice.
The 20 sec. penalty he got wasn't enough.
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #909
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,345
Grosjean was lucky as hell he didn't wreck with Hamilton early in the race - they radically overlapped wheels. A few races ago, Grosjean was getting criticism for poor judgment and crashing, now he is the second coming for pulling off a few close passes. In reality, he has been taking the same risks all year.

The difference between goat and hero over a short period of time is basically random chance.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:48 AM   #910
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
Off track is off track. No if, ands, or buts. Nobody "pushed" him. He went off by choice.
Another who is able to see the world with binary glasses.

Sorry, but you're way out of line. He had no choice (other than crashing). Have you even bothered to look at the videos?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #911
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis
 
Ragin Rabbi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Western Maryland
Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Another who is able to see the world with binary glasses.

Sorry, but you're way out of line. He had no choice (other than crashing). Have you even bothered to look at the videos?

- Mark
Or race?
__________________
Each according to their need, each according to their ability.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #912
g容g
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,241
2012 helmet montage

__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #913
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.
 
A. T. T-W's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Centre of my universe
Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
So why was it that he had all 4 wheels off the track? I'm pretty sure there was this other car that pushed him out there wasn't it? Don't the rules state that you always have to leave a space if there is a car along side of you?
No. Here's what the rules say:

20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.
Should a car leave the track the driver may rejoin, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any advantage.
A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason.

20.3 More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off‐line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.

20.4 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

20.5 As soon as a car is caught by another car which is about to lap it during the race the driver must allow the faster driver past at the first available opportunity. If the driver who has been caught does not allow the faster driver past, waved blue flags will be shown to indicate that he must allow the following driver to overtake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave
I don't care what the rules say
Make-up your mind.

20.4 refers to deliberate crowding, the stewards will have not only interviewed the drivers, they'd have had more camera evidence than we saw and they will have had telemetry from both cars. If the latter did not show that Hamilton steered towards Maldonado, there's no evidence that he deliberately crowded him.

The onus was on Maldonado to make the pass safely, without causing the car he was attempting to pass to be damaged or hindered. He failed. It was entirely his actions that caused the incident. He chose the time and the place to pass.

The fact that Hamilton has been as guilty of stupidity in the past doesn't make Maldonado's stupidity on this occasion any less worthy of penalty.
__________________
Archibald Tarquin Throttle-Whistle Esq.
A. T. T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #914
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
The onus was on Maldonado to make the pass safely, without causing the car he was attempting to pass to be damaged or hindered.
Since you're big into quoting rules, where is this rule?

Again, who is at fault in this incident is murky and you can argue that Hamilton's "crowding" was inadvertent, perhaps out of his control, or that he had more right to the corner than Maldo, but my word, let's call a spade a spade - he absolutely, positively did run Maldo off the track.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 11:00 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #915
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 75,908
20.4 is a joke. They simply don't seem interested in enforcing it.

Let's not forget that Hamilton was as guilty of stupidity as Maldonado.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014