Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #916
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
20.4 is a joke. They simply don't seem interested in enforcing it.

Let's not forget that Hamilton was as guilty of stupidity as Maldonado.
agreed

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #917
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,243
seven years...

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #918
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,930
That's kinda cool.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #919
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,157
Quote:
That's kinda cool.
+1

Quality ages well, doesn't it?

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #920
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
seven years...

Haha that's awesome! Its funny how much happier Kimi looks in the new photo.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #921
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Since you're big into quoting rules, where is this rule?
I haven't said that it is a rule. Are you suggesting that there is no such onus on a driver? F1 isn't a demolition derby. There is enough precedence where drivers are penalised for causing an avoidable collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjen
Again, who is at fault in this incident is murky and you can argue that Hamilton's "crowding" was inadvertent, perhaps out of his control, or that he had more right to the corner than Maldo, but my word, let's call a spade a spade - he absolutely, positively did run Maldo off the track.

- Mark
It's only "murky" to those who want to apportion blame in a different manner than the stewards.

How the hell can "crowding" be inadvertent? The word means to intentionally pressure another driver off the chosen line. "Crowding" without intent is called a slide or a skid. In other words, a loss of control of the car's direction (for whatever reason).

The fact that Maldonado failed to account for the lack of grip Hamilton had is down to either his exuberance or his lack of experience (possibly both) but that's not the point. The point is that he rejoined unsafely, that he didn't have to spear into the McLaren is shown by the second lap incident at the same location when Raikkonen tried a similar pass but rejoined safely in a manner that Maldonado later claimed wasn't possible.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #922
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,186
In my 40 years of racing it's always been the responsibility of the rider making the pass to do so in a safe manner.

And it's Hamilton,WTF did you expect?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #923
eric2
容gister this:

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
I haven't said that it is a rule. Are you suggesting that there is no such onus on a driver? F1 isn't a demolition derby. There is enough precedence where drivers are penalised for causing an avoidable collision.

It's only "murky" to those who want to apportion blame in a different manner than the stewards.

How the hell can "crowding" be inadvertent? The word means to intentionally pressure another driver off the chosen line. "Crowding" without intent is called a slide or a skid. In other words, a loss of control of the car's direction (for whatever reason).

The fact that Maldonado failed to account for the lack of grip Hamilton had is down to either his exuberance or his lack of experience (possibly both) but that's not the point. The point is that he rejoined unsafely, that he didn't have to spear into the McLaren is shown by the second lap incident at the same location when Raikkonen tried a similar pass but rejoined safely in a manner that Maldonado later claimed wasn't possible.
So Maldonado needs to keep track of the wear on all of the other competitors tires now?
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #924
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
So Maldonado needs to keep track of the wear on all of the other competitors tires now?
Well having followed Hamilton's McLaren long enough to see that it was struggling for grip and determined that the problem Hamilton had provided a good opportunity for him to pass, I'd expect Maldonado to have a pretty good understanding of the wear issue Hamilton was dealing with.

It makes Maldonado's cock-up even less forgivable.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #925
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:

The fact that Maldonado failed to account for the lack of grip Hamilton had is down to either his exuberance or his lack of experience (possibly both) but that's not the point.
I would have thought of the two drivers, Hamilton would be the one most aware of the McLaren's level of grip.

Given that, the "crowding" of Maldonado off the track would be Hamilton's responsibility. He's the one who chose his entry speed.

Naturally, stewards weren't interested, just as they weren't with Kimi x2. Why have the rule if they don't enforce it?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #926
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Quote:
I would have thought of the two drivers, Hamilton would be the one most aware of the McLaren's level of grip.
I agree but what has that to do with Maldonado's actions? Are you suggesting that Hamilton should just have pulled aside or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Given that, the "crowding" of Maldonado off the track would be Hamilton's responsibility. He's the one who chose his entry speed.
"Crowding" must by definition be a chosen course of action and not simply the effect of worn tyres. Otherwise there would need to be a rule that requires drivers to pit for new rubber whenever they lose grip and given that the FIA has asked the tyre supplier to provide tyres with reduced life "to improve the spectacle", that seems unlikely to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Naturally, stewards weren't interested, just as they weren't with Kimi x2. Why have the rule if they don't enforce it?
The only "natural" thing appears to be the unwillingness of some to accept that the FIA race stewards found no evidence that Hamilton "crowded" Maldonado. As I said earlier, they'd have looked at the telemetry from both drivers, if any steering inputs from Hamilton showed that he'd steered into the Williams, I suspect that the penalty would have been negated. We will probably never see the traces but I'd be willing to bet a pound to a pinch of shit that the telemetry showed Hamilton steering away from Maldonado.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #927
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 880
You guys are still here crying about this?
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #928
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
I agree but what has that to do with Maldonado's actions? Are you suggesting that Hamilton should just have pulled aside or something?

"Crowding" must by definition be a chosen course of action and not simply the effect of worn tyres. Otherwise there would need to be a rule that requires drivers to pit for new rubber whenever they lose grip and given that the FIA has asked the tyre supplier to provide tyres with reduced life "to improve the spectacle", that seems unlikely to happen.
Hamilton chose his course of action by going into that turn faster than would allow him to maintain a tighter line and not crowd Maldonado off the track. Simples.

Any suggestion that Hamilton didn't deliberately force Maldo off on purpose is a bit silly, especially given how he chose to handle Maldo's re-entry. The stewards really don't seem interested in preventing that kind of driving, as they showed with Kimi on two occasions in a single race. He did the same thing. (And yes, I know the fig leaf of rationalization that they used back then.)

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #929
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
You guys are still here crying about this?
7 more days and we can start crying about something else. Patience, grasshopper.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #930
wxwax
Excited Member

No need to get so exercised.

Both drivers made mistakes. Only the utterly naive would think that Hamilton didn't deliberately force Maldo off. And when Maldo made his re-entry mistake, Hamilton also blundered. He threw away 4th by trying to defend 3rd. Hard to see how 0 points is better than 12.

By closing the door and inviting a collision, Hamilton threw away his race for 3 points. That's the difference between 3rd and 4th. Obviously, red mist still overwhelms his race craft at times. It's been a problem all his career.

In conclusion, both drivers made mistakes. Much as Williams would have loved a podium, Hamilton's error was the more costly because he's in contention for the driver's title.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan