User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #961
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,300
French?

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #962
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1 View Post
Alonso showed a huge amount of class in the after-qualifying Press Conference by dedicating his place to Maria de Villota and her family.
I like the grownup he's become. Something makes me think this will be Fernando's magic, legend creating year. I love to watch him race, especially when he's on a charge but I've never really rooted for him, just admired his abilities. That's starting to change for me.
Ace100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #963
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
My DVR cut out after two hours of yacking...
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #964
Irish1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
I like the way you phrased your statement. I've admired Alonso since his two great Renault years when he toppled the Schumacher juggernaut and persevered through all the Schumi Psych-games. He was just a kid then but he kept his cool under stress. I also thought he dealt with the McLaren favortism towards Hamilton admirably and don't believe he was any part of the Tattle-Taleing when McLaren got caught with Ferrari engineering data. He's grown-up a bunch in the last couple years and I think his analytical abilities have helped Ferrari engineers work through bad set-up decisions. He's a passionate Spaniard but he doesn't drive unfairly. I hope he wins at Silverstone and I hope he puts paid to the belief that the RedBulls are unbeatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace100 View Post
I like the grownup he's become. Something makes me think this will be Fernando's magic, legend creating year. I love to watch him race, especially when he's on a charge but I've never really rooted for him, just admired his abilities. That's starting to change for me.
Irish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #965
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,591
Quote:
I like the way you phrased your statement. I've admired Alonso since his two great Renault years when he toppled the Schumacher juggernaut and persevered through all the Schumi Psych-games. He was just a kid then but he kept his cool under stress. I also thought he dealt with the McLaren favortism towards Hamilton admirably and don't believe he was any part of the Tattle-Taleing when McLaren got caught with Ferrari engineering data. He's grown-up a bunch in the last couple years and I think his analytical abilities have helped Ferrari engineers work through bad set-up decisions. He's a passionate Spaniard but he doesn't drive unfairly. I hope he wins at Silverstone and I hope he puts paid to the belief that the RedBulls are unbeatable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE100

Shut up you guys.

I've never been of fan his either, but haven't been able to overlook his driving this season too.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #966
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
I also thought he dealt with the McLaren favortism towards Hamilton admirably...
It certainly wasn't "admirable" when in the 2007 Hungarian GP he qualified on pole by deliberately balking his teammate (Hamilton) during a stacked pit stop, preventing Hamilton from getting his final Q3 qualifying run in. And I find most of the team favoritism conspiracy theories to be pretty far-fetched and nonsensical.

Alonso does seem to have become more mature and he is certainly driving the wheels off the Ferrari this year. But I still think he prefers a teammate who is struggling rather than giving him competition. Which is the main reason Ferrari is being so slow about replacing the badly under performing Massa.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 01:52 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #967
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Alonso has been the best driver in F1 for some years. Whether or not he's a "nice bloke" I have no idea and to be honest, I don't care as I will never have the opportunity to find out. He's always good to watch on-track but I agree that he's also starting to be more interesting when he's interviewed.

As for not wanting a competitive team-mate? Do any drivers/riders want someone who might be better than themselves?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #968
AngelFZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Indeed those two championships at Renault and stopping Schumi made me continuously root for Alonso even if I knew it was just a matter of time before he would drive for Ferrari!!!!!

Great driver with amazing capabilities!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AngelFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #969
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
It certainly wasn't "admirable" when in the 2007 Hungarian GP he qualified on pole by deliberately balking his teammate (Hamilton) during a stacked pit stop, preventing Hamilton from getting his final Q3 qualifying run in. And I find most of the team favoritism conspiracy theories to be pretty far-fetched and nonsensical.

Alonso does seem to have become more mature and he is certainly driving the wheels off the Ferrari this year. But I still think he prefers a teammate who is struggling rather than giving him competition. Which is the main reason Ferrari is being so slow about replacing the badly under performing Massa.

- Mark
I started calling him 'Cheater' after that incident. And despite this, and him driving for Ferrari, I still root for him. Mostly I just like seeing great racers overcome the limitations of their machine and get unexpected results from them. That has happened more this season than in any season since I've started following F1 (which is a lot less than many on this thread).

I don't really have a favorite racer or team. Maybe I am an oddball F1 fan in that way.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #970
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Just heard an interview (BBC) with Perez; Pretty damning stuff; something about all the drivers having concerns about Maldonado.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #971
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,859
Maldonado visibly turned into Perez in the middle of the corner and ended-up hitting him. The contact wasn't deliberate but he clearly changed his line to force him wide and wasn't good enough do it without making contact. Poor driving.

Really good race. And a nice comeback by Webber. Exciting stuff in an exciting season.

Alonso pitted on lap 11, I believe, to change his hard tires. I wonder why he didn't stay out longer? Might have saved the win had he done so. After all, he got more than 20 laps out of his second set of hard tires.

An eventful weekend, that's for sure.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #972
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Maldonado visibly turned into Perez in the middle of the corner and ended-up hitting him. The contact wasn't deliberate but he clearly changed his line to force him wide and wasn't good enough do it without making contact. Poor driving.
From what I saw Maldonado's car got loose and he had to correct it which widened his line right into Perez. He slid because he drove it into the corner to fast trying to defend the position though. Its not the first time Maldonado has taken people out of the race and I'm not talking about Hamilton.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #973
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
From what I saw Maldonado's car got loose and he had to correct it which widened his line right into Perez. He slid because he drove it into the corner to fast trying to defend the position though. Its not the first time Maldonado has taken people out of the race and I'm not talking about Hamilton.

its time they looked at Maldonado overall. he ran into Big John in Australia, ran into Perez in Monaco, and of course there was Hamilton. Now Perez again...

Its time they gave him a stern talking-to

small fine & slap on wrist....

LINK

g容g screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 07:25 AM
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #974
g容g
Canadian living in exile

as a PS to the weekend.....

was that intro on FOX about the gayest intro to an F1 race ever?
is that the sort of shit NASCAR fans like to see before a race?

fucking hilarious!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #975
g容g
Canadian living in exile

even slow cars are cool: