Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #1321
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,130
Brilliant! Tweet of the day! RT @NobleF1 Jenson Button has stopped following Lewis Hamilton on Twitter...and added Sergio Perez instead
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #1322
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,080
McLaren 2013 now known as "team tire management"

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #1323
g容g
Canadian living in exile

silly season speculation from AMuS (translated)

The cat is out of the bag. Lewis Hamilton driving for Mercedes in 2013 and Sergio Perez replaced him at McLaren. But what of Michael Schumacher, Nico Hulkenberg and Paul di Resta, Felipe Massa, Kamui Kobayashi, Adrian Sutil and Heikki Kovalainen? Already are signs of a new sensation. Paul di Resta could end up at Ferrari.

The unthinkable has happened. Lewis Hamilton left his surrogate family. The team that looked after him since he was ten years old. Only once had separated Hamilton of McLaren. 2005, when he wanted to move up for the lost Formula 3 Championship directly against the advice of McLaren in the GP2 series. Hamilton found no sponsors and went crawling back to the bosom of McLaren. If that's not a bad omen for the future times.

Mercedes Lewis Hamilton is both an opportunity and a risk. The 2008 World Champion is one indisputably one of the three top pilots. What he can, when his team is a competitive car on wheels that he showed in the last eight races. Hamilton won three times, but was also four times are undeserved. With the 27-year-old Englishman, there are no more excuses for Mercedes. If one does not run next year at the top, then it's definitely on the car and the team.
Hamilton and Perez bring transfer carousel in motion

The change from Hamilton to Mercedes has far-reaching consequences for the transfer market. Just two hours after the first rumors about the transfer through the net buzzing sensation, gave McLaren Sergio Perez known as a replacement for Hamilton. Experts are divided over whether this was a good choice. Perez had his undisputed highlights. The podium in Malaysia, Canada and Italy were world champions. However, he had the car with the Sauber also ensure that enabled him comebacks this without ruining the tire.
In between Perez crashed repeatedly. His performance may fluctuate more than that of Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg. Ferrari himself was unsure whether to replace Felipe Massa Sergio Perez. The hesitation from Maranello McLaren had intended to make suspicious. Ferrari has information on the 22-year-old Mexican firsthand. Stefano Domenicali could inquire at any time with Sauber.
Perez for McLaren could therefore also have been a strategic choice. The rumors that the main sponsor Vodafone gets out the end of 2013 will not be silenced. Perez you have contact with money from the company chain of Carlos Slim. Hamilton and Perez have been a few hours fixed sizes. But what does that mean for the remaining vacancies in the paddock? And the pilots who do not have a regular place confirmed for 2013? We take a look behind the scenes.
The Act Schumacher:

Michael Schumacher of Mercedes is not left voluntarily. Maybe he can create facts in April if he had extended his contract back then, but since the middle of June, Mercedes GP Canada flirts with Hamilton. And since the time it was no longer in Schumacher's hand how it goes.
The record holder does not also the impression that he wanted to quit. He was black and white in this year, the confirmation of which he was convinced since his comeback. He can go as fast as Nico Rosberg, and thus the rest of the Young Guard, when you give him the right car for it.
The alternatives to Mercedes are scarce. Actually, only Ferrari, Sauber and Williams come into question. On the subject of Ferrari insiders say: That will not happen. Frank Williams was always a big fan of Schumacher. But that is no longer alone. Williams needs money. The experts taps Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas.
To clean, there is contact. Peter Sauber would take the seven-time world champion on board sooner rather than later if he can finance it. Schumacher said when we appealed to him at Monza out with a wink: "Why not?" What was perhaps not meant quite seriously appears now to be more than just a pipe dream.
Sauber has started earlier than usual, with the development of the 2013er cars. The boss said optmistisch: "The data tell us that it is much better than the current one again." With Schumacher on board is allowed to find sponsors. The departure of Perez does not mean that Sauber loses its Mexican sponsors. The Telmex contract is long term and not linked to Perez.
It is obvious, however, to do with the Mexican Esteban Gutierrez a favor. Gutierrez would be for Peter Sauber a big risk. Then he needs a safe bet as Schumacher as a team. Kamui Kobayashi is not number one. Schumacher is not, increase your chances for a comeback of Adrian Sutil.
The Act Hulkenberg:

Nico Hulkenberg hangs between many chairs. Force India urges him to a signature. Sooner rather than later. The McLaren option is gone. The Ferrari of a poker with an uncertain outcome. Ferrari President has requested in the Massa-question this week additional time to consider. Now vary from the Rhineland between Force India and Sauber.
Condition is that there are options to get out after a year. The German but would welcome 2014 leeway because then many teams back seats are free. At Ferrari, Massa should stay one more year. And at Lotus when Kimi Raikkonen contract expires. Waiting too long can backfire. Hulkenberg knows that from 2010, when he was sacked by Williams at the last minute.
The Act di Resta:

The name of Paul di Resta appeared at all the speculation in the transfer market to spot. Therefore, it came as a surprise that McLaren decided to Perez and not for the Scots, the one would have had easier access than Force India. But di Resta is penniless. With Perez opened up for McLaren sponsor new markets. Di Resta has to be bought out at Force India. The team holds an option for him.
The latest rumors say that Ferrari is apparently willing to pay for the Fourth of Singapore, a transfer fee. That would explain why Fernando Alonso not after the race in Singapore was in high spirits. The Spaniard is well known that di Resta has with his fourth place just 3.8 seconds behind Alonso solved the ticket for Ferrari. Force India driver should both go, that would be an opportunity for drivers like Sebastien Buemi, Jaime Alguersuari, Adrian Sutil and Jules Bianchi. Perhaps Rubens Barrichello.
The Act Massa:

Felipe Massa will continue to put on the rack. He should get a mid-week notice. After a promising race in Singapore, the advantages are not so bad for the Brazilians. Perez is with one of his rivals. But maybe just this castling Ferrari has made thoughtfully. If McLaren is ready to be replaced by Hamilton, Perez, then you should not even think about something even more risk.
The alternatives, however, are few and far between. Of the young drivers are only di Resta and Hulkenberg in question. By experienced Sutil and Kovalainen. Apparently, Di Resta has made the race. Fernando Alonso made last vehemently advertising for Felipe Massa. On race day, from Singapore but must be something happening at Ferrari, which has the world championship leader spoil the mood. Observers think it might have something to do with the occupation of the second cockpit. The talks then against Massa and di Resta.
The Act Sutil:

Adrian Sutil stands at Sauber on the list. Just as Nico Hulkenberg. Heikki Kovalainen is not. The Finn had apparently never shown interest for Sauber. Sutil would naturally prefer the place of Massa. But there are still others in front of him. To Williams, there were 2011 Contact. But Maldonado with Bottas and also there two pilots have the best hand. Two years, will not be able to push the Bayer on the bench. Otherwise, however, remain the only job as Pirelli tester or a change in the DTM.
The Act Kobayashi:

The days of Kamui Kobayashi should be counted. The Japanese man survives only if Sauber Perez finds a replacement for the caliber of Michael Schumacher. Along with a youngster like Gutierrez Kobayashi would be overwhelmed. Were inconsistent to the performance of the Japanese this year. Too large, the distance to Perez in the championship.
The Act Kovalainen:

Heikki Kovalainen for there are apparently only two options: Caterham or Ferrari. But careful. Caterham at other drivers knocking on the door. For example, Sebastien Buemi. Anyone who plays poker for a long time, can quickly lose its place. Especially Kovalainen is not cheap.
The Act Alguersuari:

Jaime Alguersuari publicly advertises with a big sponsor package. In Singapore he took over the media this week at Sauber. But there do not know anything. "There is no contact," read only. This leaves the only alternatives for the Spaniard only Caterham and HRT.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #1324
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,178
I'd like to see Sutil back. I hadn't realized Alonso was sulky after Singapore.

Risky move for Hamilton. McLaren will have money issues next season. But Mercedes' support for its F1 team seems to be a bit shaky and I don't believe the team is getting top dollar.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #1325
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I'd like to see Sutil back. I hadn't realized Alonso was sulky after Singapore.

Risky move for Hamilton. McLaren will have money issues next season. But Mercedes' support for its F1 team seems to be a bit shaky and I don't believe the team is getting top dollar.

I'm not so sure, they found a way to pay Lewis $ 100 M for 3 years
Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #1326
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Risky move for Hamilton.
The rumours are that the Mercedes-Benz (is it still developed and built by what was Ilmor?) 1.6 litre turbo-V6 is very good and that they have stolen a march on both Renault and Ferrari. Remember that that was also the case when they changed from V10 3 litre engines to the current V8s and that Ferrari took a while to catch-up while Renault had to be given dispensation to tweak theirs (after much bleating from Red Bull).

Mercedes will understand their new engine a lot better than their customer-users in 2014 when the formula changes. That gives Hamilton 2013 to get used to the Mercedes team before dominating the 2014 season, winning another title in the process.

Pure speculation on my part: Ron Dennis has a pathological need to taken-on and beat Ferrari at their own game, hence the McLaren MP4-12-C and the proposed new supercar derivative. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that McLaren would rather produce their own F1 engines than pay Mercedes-Benz.

McLaren make the 3.8 turbo V8 in the MP4-12-C. It has the best power to capacity in it's class. Is it too much of a stretch to imagine McLaren using that experience to develop a 1.6 turbo V6?

Does Hamilton think that McLaren will suffer a period of uncompetitive struggle and has jumped ship accordingly?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #1327
g容g
Canadian living in exile

for Ragin

http://www.motorsportgp.pl/index.php...tta-di-bassano
Quote:
Robert Kubica with the pilot Emanuele Inglesim won the first episode of the Rally di Bassano two seconds advantage over the other Italian crew Sossella / Walter.
Despite the small adventure in the form of a half-rotation on the 2.92-kilometer route "Marostica" Kubica in his Subaru Impreza WRC 2'02 .6 twisted time, allowing him to some extend conducting before Saturday's round.
On Saturday, drivers waiting four sections: Val stagnation (12.66 km), Cavalletto (24.72 km) and Rubbio (7.49 km) and Monte Grappa (14.25 km), which beat twice. The first is scheduled for 8:02 hour.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #1328
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
Thanks. Wish they still showed Rally on Speed. I admit it was a bit challenging to follow (doesn't flow easily for TV) but once I learned what was actually going on, it was a lot of fun.

Rumor control has a possible return next year. Though I doubt that. As I said before, Kubica seems to enjoy F1, but loved Rally. He spoke of it fondly even when driving.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #1329
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
Thanks. Wish they still showed Rally on Speed. I admit it was a bit challenging to follow (doesn't flow easily for TV) but once I learned what was actually going on, it was a lot of fun.

Rumor control has a possible return next year. Though I doubt that. As I said before, Kubica seems to enjoy F1, but loved Rally. He spoke of it fondly even when driving.

I think I recall reading something about Pirelli wanting to use him for testing
Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #1330
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
silly season speculation from AMuS (translated)...The unthinkable has happened. Lewis Hamilton left his surrogate family. The team that looked after him since he was ten years old. Only once had separated Hamilton of McLaren. 2005, when he wanted to move up for the lost Formula 3 Championship directly against the advice of McLaren in the GP2 series. Hamilton found no sponsors and went crawling back to the bosom of McLaren. If that's not a bad omen for the future times.
Geez, they make him sound like a teenager abandoning his elderly parents and running off to join the peace corps...

Financially, I cannot fathom that sort of income so I can't belittle him for that, BUT I think this is a bad career move for him as a driver. Mercedes has not matched the outright speed of the McLaren, and I don't see them overcoming that deficit anytime soon. Sadly, he may have already won his one and only WDC.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #1331
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
BUT I think this is a bad career move for him as a driver. Mercedes has not matched the outright speed of the McLaren, and I don't see them overcoming that deficit anytime soon. Sadly, he may have already won his one and only WDC.
Don't write-off the formula changes for 2014. I wouldn't suggest that the rear of the grid teams will suddenly be competitive but the old order is bound to be shaken-up by it. If the rumours are true, Mercedes may even have an edge.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #1332
wxwax
Excited Member

I agree that any homologation change brings opportunity. If McLaren continue to get their engines from Mercedes though, I don't see engines differentiating the teams. Mercedes would presumably have an edge in designing a total engine/car package. But against that we weigh McLaren's enormous expertise.

Mercedes finally signed the Concorde agreement this week. They were the last team to do so. This foot-dragging suggests that there is a house divided at Mercedes and that there is doubt about the company's commitment to the hideously expensive sport of F1.

To my knowledge there is no authoritative list of team budgets. But I've had the feeling for a while, based on comments from Ross Brawn, that Mercedes has less of a budget than Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren.

So I see Hamilton jumping from a team whose identity is defined by F1 and which consistently produces a competitive car, to a team with a shaky commitment to F1, with no modern history and with a poorer budget. That's why it looks like a risky move.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #1333
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

It's bound to be the case that Mercedes will understand their new engine better than their customers. Things are a lot different to the last time the formula changed: Mercedes were in a partnership with McLaren back then, not a direct competitor. While there's bound to be a contractual clause whereby customers get the engine specifications before they start designing the chassis for it, it cannot be the same as knowing the engine from the start of its life.

There are comments that the Mercedes board's long-term commitment to F1 was dependent upon Hamilton signing. Apart from Alonso and Vettel, who are tied-up with their respective teams, Hamilton is Mercedes best chance of a title or two.

I think that this move will be interesting. I've long believed that he needed to move. It will be interesting to see how he deals with the changes.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #1334
wxwax
Excited Member

From a personal growth point of view, I agree that it is beyond time for Hamilton to leave the nest. I think it will mature him and perhaps calm him.

If it's true that Mercedes' willingness to partake in F1 was dependent upon the signature of a single man... well, that's not exactly a sign of a strong commitment to the sport, I wouldn't think.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #1335
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Heh, not to mention that after a few struggling seasons I can't expect there will be many warm fuzzy feelings in the trenches when their $100M budget increase comes rolling into the factory in his pimped out G-wagon with 21" spinner wheels.

I just have this mental image of a few Mercedes engineers in white coats hunched over some CAD drawings...

THUMP-THUMP-THUMP THUMP-THUMP-THUMP-THUMP BUMP THUMP THUMP

"Was das fickt!?!?!?"

"Oooooh, eetz joost Loooow-Eeez pulling into zee varking lot"

I'm more interested in seeing Perez driving for a top tier team, I had originally just written him off as just another seat filler with a healthy sponsors cheque but that little Mexican is pretty quick.
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote