Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #1471
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
Personally, I think the 'parity' is the problem at the moment. The rules have been in stasis for too long. The 2014 changes were originally planned for next year and it's a shame that they were postponed. Another year of tiny changes and envelopes being pushed means yet more of the same. The same Big Three with two, maybe three teams just failing to join them.

I don't know what it is about the Red Bull era. I'm no fan of Ferrari but when they were the team in the sun, it didn't detract from the enjoyment too much. I've never been so ambivalent about F1 in my life as I am now with Red Bull's domination.

It's not their drivers. I quite like them, I enjoy watching them. It's something about Red Bull the team that turns me off.

Perhaps I'm an F1 snob. It might be something about an energy drink company buying success as opposed to a racing team that has a competition heritage.

Not a fan of Vettel, but I have a lot of time for Webber. I wouldn't mind so much if it were him leading the table.

For me, the problem with Red Bull the team is summed-up in one name: Helmut Marko. He seems to embody the negative energy they exude.

ps I agree wrt rules. They longer they stay the same, the more it favors the elite teams.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #1472
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,269
Bah!

Carbs and points ignitions for all. That'll fix'em.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #1473
Flys Lo
cool hand fluke

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
Perhaps I'm an F1 snob. It might be something about an energy drink company buying success as opposed to a racing team that has a competition heritage.
No different to Benetton.

I actually like that another team that came from relatively nothing (Jaguar...) is challenging the established players, but I will agree their continued success is a bit tiresome - but would rather that, than have the rules re-written every week to "flatten" the playing field ala Nascar.
I also agree with wxwax that Helmut Marko comes across as a prick, but as I haven't met the man its hard to pass judgement on his character - but it seems like he will espouse his negative arrogant view point as frequently as possible (unless its about Vettel)
Flys Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #1474
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,036
looks like McLaren is ready to give Red Bull a run....

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #1475
wxwax
Excited Member

I'm shocked -- shocked, d'ye hear me? -- that Red Bull was fastest in Prac 2.

I enjoyed the delightful irony of Red Bull inquiring about illegal specs on brake ducts of other cars. Evil and shameless go hand in hand, I suppose.

Should be a snoozer, unfortunately.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #1476
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Watching F1 Debrief on Speed. Sounds like they are going to be on-track for the F1 race prep in Austin tue-thurs. I suspect they wanted to be there for the practice, quali, and race, but got fux0red by the Speed Execs or maybe F1. I always figured you needed to pay your $$$ before Bernie would let your TV coverage have a track-side seat.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #1477
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I'm shocked -- shocked, d'ye hear me? -- that Red Bull was fastest in Prac 2.

I enjoyed the delightful irony of Red Bull inquiring about illegal specs on brake ducts of other cars. Evil and shameless go hand in hand, I suppose.

Should be a snoozer, unfortunately.
there was a rumor about "someone" shifting the onboard oil & using it to change the balance in the car (RBR?)

so Vettel is stopped on track.... pit lane start would make it more interesting. Alonso doesn't seem to have the car for the job so far

Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #1478
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
there was a rumor about "someone" shifting the onboard oil & using it to change the balance in the car (RBR?)

so Vettel is stopped on track.... pit lane start would make it more interesting. Alonso doesn't seem to have the car for the job so far
Yeah, Ferrari is 3rd best team right now. I agree, a pit lane start would spice things up greatly. Vettel didn't help his team's potential to tell a lie when he said he wasn't aware of a problem with the car. One assumes Red Bull, like McLaren before them, were worried about the fuel level.

I enjoyed watching Vettel stuff it into the wall in Q1. Sadly, he didn't break anything.

I'm not sure how the FIA worded their ruling that cars must never have all 4 wheels go over the paint. At Yas all cars, on all laps, are leaving the track entirely. Hmmm.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 11-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #1479
g容g
Canadian living in exile

well fingers crossed for a good race....
not sure there will be one but....

maldo-a-go-go spicing things up at turn one with a "win on the first lap" kamikaze move?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #1480
g容g
Canadian living in exile

here we go!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../11/14018.html

Vettel sent to back of the grid for fuel infringement 03 Nov 2012

Red Bulls Sebastian Vettel has been excluded from Saturdays qualifying results for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after the stewards found his car did not have sufficient fuel onboard to comply with the rules on its return to parc ferme. Vettel, who had qualified in third, will now start from the back of the grid.

The German stopped out on track at the end of Q3, after being told over his radio to pull over at the side of the circuit.

Although, after a lengthy discussion, the FIA stewards accepted that Vettel had stopped due to reasons of force majeure, there wasnt enough fuel in his RB8 to provide a one-litre sample in post-qualifying scrutineering, as required by the sports technical regulations.

The stewards heard from the driver and team representatives and studied telemetry evidence that showed the reason why the car was stopped, explained the FIA in a statement.

"The Stewards accepted the explanation and considered the incident as being a case of force majeure. However a report was received from the Technical Delegate that showed during post-qualifying scrutineering an insufficient quantity of fuel for sampling purposes.

"The Stewards determine that this is a breach of Article 6.6.2 of the FIA Formula One Technical Regulations and the Competitor is accordingly excluded from the results of the Qualifying Session. The Competitor is however allowed to start the race from the back of the grid."

Old 11-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #1481
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,027
Good. It's only fair after taking away a pole position from Hamilton for the same reason.
This should certainly make the Vettel / Alonso situation more entertaining.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #1482
Irish1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
It'll definitely make these last 3 races more interesting. RB's been pushing the rules limits all year but Karma has a way of wending back and punishing the sleazy. We'll see if Alonso can make up some serious ground tomorrow. Abu Dhabi's a hard track to pass on, so Vettel could even finish out of the points. I think Webber might win and Raikonnen podium.

Irish1 screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 07:53 PM Reason: Spelling incompetence
Irish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #1483
wxwax
Excited Member

Agreed, it throws things wide open again. And Vettel struggled on the harder tire in practice and qualifying, so he's likely to have at least one mediocre stint. It's odd that the Red Bull is slumping on a track which normally favors them. I wonder how much is going on behind the scenes that we're not privvy to?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #1484
g容g
Canadian living in exile

bouncy nose....

Old 11-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #1485
wxwax
Excited Member

Good one!

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan