Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #76
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,512
Not going to get into an argument. Yes, most of the things I was stopped for were legal. But it didn't used to be that way. For instance, I drove around for years with my license plate attached to the tailgate of my old truck with sheet metal screws, no light, and the cops never once stopped me. They didn't stop others for such silly things either. But really, 3 times in 3 miles by 3 different cops (parked in the median hidden by brush)??? I also went back and thought about it and I was stopped more times than I thought for going slightly undre the speed limit, when there was very little traffic. That is perfectly legal in AZ, we have no minimum speed limit, and I was not impeding the flow of traffic because there was none. I was in a car, just out cruising, on country roads, listening to music, and trying to get the most time out of the $3.50 a gallon gas. I was stopped because I was going under the speed limit, while most go over it, and it looked "suspicious" to the cop. I was interrogated, and asked a lot of questions that had nothing to do with driving, like where I worked, where I was coming from, where I was going, I was told there was a shorter way to get there (there was, a freeway with much higher speed limits) They did not seem to understand that I was purposefully taking the long way. I like to just go out and drive the same way I like to just go out and ride, with no specific purpose or destination in mind. That's why my preferred bikes are scooters and cruisers, rather than sport bikes or adventure bikes, which seem to need a reason to ride

But my point is, this all happened in 2 years, and before that it had been at least 15 years since I had been stopped for anything. 3/4 of the times I was driving a nondescript dark blue sedan, which should not have attracted cops like a Ducati would.

I am not a sport bike rider, but in the past few years, all the best sport bike roads in the state have become infested with cops. I know you have seen Youtube videos of swarms of sport bike riders doing 150 mph on public roads. I never saw anything like that around here. I have seen a lot of irresponsible riding by riders on sport bikes, but it was mostly in town, where they are a lot more likely to get away with it. Many local sport bike riders have given up and sold their bikes, because their sport have virtually been outlawed. (you can actually be given a ticket for leaning over too far in a turn, even without being over the speed limit)

On top of all that, my county is home to the infamous "Sheriff Joe" Do some research on him. Around here he is known as "Sheriff Joke" But don't let that fool you. He and his group of thugs (deputies and "posse") are one of the most hated and feared "law enforcement" agencies in the country.

When riding in this state, you have to watch out for cops just as much as impaired drivers. Strangely enough, using a cell phone while driving is the one thing they are NOT cracking down on. I suspect there are political reasons for that. Cops will often follow you for miles, with their dashboard cameras on, hoping you get nervous, make a mistake, and then they have the evidence right there on video to back up the ticket.

Besides being known as the "surveillance state" we are also known as "the nanny state" Many new "nuisance" laws have been passed regarding driving and riding, and enforcement has been stepped up big time. I'm not against law enforcement, but things have gotten out of hand here. Big time.

This stuff may seem exaggerated, it may seem paranoid, but it isn't. It's actually happening here, and it has gotten a lot worse recently, which is one of the things that makes it so noticeable. And I am not the only one that is noticing it.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #77
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
my county is home to the infamous "Sheriff Joe" Do some research on him. Around here he is known as "Sheriff Joke" But don't let that fool you. He and his group of thugs (deputies and "posse") are one of the most hated and feared "law enforcement" agencies in the country.
Based on the 2012 election results . . looks like around 51% of the voters may disagree with your assessment.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #78
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Thanks for posting that link. Would you want THAT for law enforcement? And those 51% are mostly over 65, and they rarely get targeted.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #79
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,237
Just know you are not require to answer questions. They must tell you why they are stopping you. Suspicious behaviour that is within the law isn't enough. Yes you have to stop if lit up and yes you have to provide license, registration and proof of ownership but you don't need to say shit. "Is this your address?" answer - you have my license, registration and insurance papers. "where you going?" See last or "I'm not required to answer any questions, you have my lic, reg and ins, let me know when I'm free to carry on"
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #80
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Just know you are not require to answer questions. They must tell you why they are stopping you. Suspicious behaviour that is within the law isn't enough. Yes you have to stop if lit up and yes you have to provide license, registration and proof of ownership but you don't need to say shit. "Is this your address?" answer - you have my license, registration and insurance papers. "where you going?" See last or "I'm not required to answer any questions, you have my lic, reg and ins, let me know when I'm free to carry on"

MIght be true but really you end up being screwed around by going that route. Cops , RCMP really don't give a rats ass about the law often when faced with someone saying that. RCMP will not even put a drunk in the can for making problems on a transit bus because the system is overload and they don't want to do the paper work that going to take an hour to fill out just to have the guy slapped on the hand. Saw that last month.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #81
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Based on the 2012 election results . . looks like around 51% of the voters may disagree with your assessment.
You always have some shit head thing to say with an article to back it up. Are you in law enforcement tortoise?

Here is the a$$hole that pulled me over and had another officer take credit for it to keep his name out of it. Do you want some articles how your safe piece of shit peace officer is being indicted by the feds? Hopefully my complaint to the department helped in him losing his job.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G5B6JPmo694#

There is a dose of reality tortoise. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Do us all a favor and quit being a douche. Try and do some good.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #82
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
This will be my last post on this thread, stuff like this can get out of hand real quick, and this forum is supposed to be about scooters.

CanadianX, you are quite correct "legally" but here if you take that route, they will take that as "probably cause", charge you with being uncooperative, and arrest you. After all, "if you have a problem answering their questions, you must have something to hide" And yes, it really is like that here. I certainly hope it is not this way everywhere. Back to scooters.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #83
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,865
Quote:
You can certainly do that, but don't expect it to get you out of any tickets.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #84
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

To trend this back toward scooters, I have never been pulled over on a scooter. I don't have a lot of miles on them...maybe 15K, but I have never been stopped. I have only been stopped once on two wheels, and I deserved that. I still didn't get a ticket. The only time I have been ticketed in the past 25 years was by Biloxi MS PD. They incorporated a large part of rural Harrison Co. MS and many speed limits that were 55 became 35. I was ticketed in one of those zones. I was fortunate that one of the patrol officers that worked the area owed me a favor and I got that one fixed.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #85
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,499
Maybe AZ has changed, but I rode like a complete jackass from one end of that state to another in the 90s. I don't think I ever got a ticket.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #86
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Maybe AZ has changed, but I rode like a complete jackass from one end of that state to another in the 90s. I don't think I ever got a ticket.
Wow, that's hard to believe Jim.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #87
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,499
I am what I am.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #88
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I got a ticket back in October of this year for riding 50 in a 40mph zone (it was 10 at night with no traffic in either direction). I also 'ran' a stop sign pulling out of my street (i didn't fully stop, but i did look both ways and flash the brake lights, just didn't put a foot down). In this instance, one cop was a total jerk and after running my insurance and title he told me that he thought that my bike was stolen because of how it looked when i rode off (blue bike, blue gear,full textiles and high beams on.....yeah...makes perfect sense ). Still got the ticket though.

OTOH, there are many other times were cops can be really cool about bikes and I fully respect what the police do for our safety, this guy probably just didn't like blue FZ6's.

just my 2 cents

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #89
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,438
Funny how a 2 year thread gets going again. Didn't this start with a scooter and his issues?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #90
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Maybe I should have been on a scooter in that case

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote