Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #31
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
liking your RR! Good to see you are making preogress south.
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #32
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Thanks SoSlow, and say hi to Mrs SoSlow for me.

I can't wait to see the places, people and stuff I am going to write about.

Maybe you should talk Mrs SoSlow into letting you take an extended bike trip, or better yet, bring her along.

Buell is good so far. Seat is, well, a stock Buell seat. But if I geet uncomfortable, I can stop,look around, see stuff and meet people.

Hows that KLR? All healed up yet?
Mrs SoSlow says hello and wanted me to tell you she's enjoying your RR too!

Good to hear the Buell's doing the job for you - I really like how you've got it packed, looks nice and compact!

The KLR and I are both fine... just winterized my buddy and put him up on the lift for the winter.

That picture you posted of the border crossing gives me the sweats just looking at it. I hate that stuff - like you said, it doesn't matter what you do or say, it's gonna be wrong...

Looking forward to your next post - safe riding!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #33
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Day 4 Dec 2 458kms Laytonville Ca to Vallejo Ca

I had to be in San Francisco today, so I got up early and hit the road before the sun was up. It was cold, but not real cold. Rode into town and crossed the Golden Gate Bridge. Check that one off the list.

Golden Gate Bridge (borrowed from Google images)

Had an appointment right down town in the financial district. Checked google maps on my iPhone noted the cross streets and where I had to go and got there no problem. San Francisco is a pretty cool town. All those hills you see cars jumping over on TV, well, the hills are steeper. Cable cars and double decker busses everywhere. It was cool. Sorry, no picture of that as I am a country boy riding in big city traffic. Took care of the things I had to do, and headed out. Took a left, then a right, and found myself right in the middle of China town ( I assume it was China town)

Took a right, then up a real steep hill ( had to work at keeping the front tire on the ground) then a right, then a left, then another right, realized I hadn’t checked the map on how to get out of town. Stopped to look at my iPhone map, which did absolutely no good without a wifi connection, and away I went. Stopped again to get my bearings, and asked a young fellow trying to hail a cab how the heck to get out of town. Turns out he was from visiting from Canada and had about as much of an idea as me how to get around San Francisco. So away I went with the theory that I would look for a highway type of road, head South out of town, then head East somehow, and try to get to the I5, where I had some idea of where I was going from there.
HA!
So, turns out, there is no real “Out of Town” heading South, at least I couldn’t find it. So I went South for a ways, then turned East. Crossed a real cool bridge and ended up on the East side of San Francisco Bay

San Mateo Bridge ( borrowed from Google images)

Thing is about 40 kms long ( OK, I looked it up, its only 11 kms, but it SEEMED like 40) and everyone just FLYS on it. I was doing about 75 mph, and I was being passed by most everybody.
Got to the East side, took a left, took a right, got on a freeway heading East, and I was set. Traffic was heavy. Stop and go in places, and the city just never seemed to end. I rode and rode, and stopped, and rode, and somehow, the hwy signs started saying I was going North. Hmm, well it must turn East again, right?
So, I left down town San Francisco at about 1:30 in the afternoon, travelled about 100 miles, and it was getting dark, and I had no idea where I was or where I was going. Stopped to look at my iPhone map. Couldn’t find a Starbucks or a McD’s to borrow their wifi ( go figure, no Starbucks or McD’s to be found.) Stopped and got a map ( there is a lot to be said about just winging it, but a paper map can be useful) and still couldn’t figure out where I was. Got back on the road, saw what looked like a likely cheap motel, with a cool name and pulled in for the night. Turns out I was in Vallejo, Ca, about 30 miles from down town San Francisco.
So, tonight I am staying at the Motel California, and yes, there is plenty of room.

BC Brian screwed with this post 12-02-2011 at 09:28 PM
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #34
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,338
Have a great trip, dude!

Good choice of motorcycle!

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #35
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian
So, tonight I am staying at the Motel California
Rumour has it you can check out anytime you like.

Great RR, Brian! Looks like you and the Buell are eating up that pavement really fast!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #36
BMXracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I'm following your ride and loving the pictures.
Are you planning to ride through Los Angeles?
Don't miss the Big Sur coast on PCH1.
We have a TON of really good roads in my neck of the woods.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #37
jimbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
This sounds like a great trip. Fantastic choice of bikes, as you already know. Good luck and ride safe.
jimbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #38
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
Rumour has it you can check out anytime you like.

Great RR, Brian! Looks like you and the Buell are eating up that pavement really fast!
Yeah, maybe too fast
Now that I am into the summer weather it might be time to slow er down a bit
we'll see if that happens :)
Old 12-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #39
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie View Post
This sounds like a great trip. Fantastic choice of bikes, as you already know. Good luck and ride safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Have a great trip, dude!

Good choice of motorcycle!

Thanks,
So far the Ulysses is doig evereything I ask of it. Lets see how it does when I get off the tarmac :)

BC Brian screwed with this post 12-02-2011 at 11:31 PM
Old 12-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #40
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXracer View Post
I'm following your ride and loving the pictures.
Are you planning to ride through Los Angeles?
Don't miss the Big Sur coast on PCH1.
We have a TON of really good roads in my neck of the woods.
Not sure which way I will head south when its time to head south. I have to be back in San Francisco next week sometime before I head across the border. Hwy 1 is high on the list of maybes, though.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #41
YT Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I'm thinking that you should put Hwy 1 on top of your list of to-do's if you're headed south from SF. The riding along the coast is spectacular. Hearst Castle is worth seeing. I'd be inclined to stay on Hwy 1 until at least San Luis Obispo before heading inland to the 5. It's not something you'll regret.

If you go inland from SF and head to the 5 south, it's long, boring, flat but sure to be warm and dry which is also probably high on your list at this time of year.

I'll be following your ride report with interest.
YT Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #42
hnguyen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Would love to buy you a drink when you stop by San Francisco again. Will show you the way out of town this time.
415-359-3341 Hoa
hnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:14 AM   #43
Jarrod Weaver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
+1 for YT Dave's suggestion. HWY 1 is a must.

I'm thinking that you should put Hwy 1 on top of your list of to-do's if you're headed south from SF. The riding along the coast is spectacular. Hearst Castle is worth seeing. I'd be inclined to stay on Hwy 1 until at least San Luis Obispo before heading inland to the 5. It's not something you'll regret.
Jarrod Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #44
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 5 Dec 3 285kms Vallejo Ca to Jackson State Forest

Got up fairly early and headed out. Apparently, sometimes you can leave.

The plan was to head east towards the desert, but when I got up, I looked at my fancy paper map and decided to go North instead. I looked up campsites on USA free campsites webpage, and thought the Jackson State Forest looked pretty good. Away I went to take hwy 37 over to the 101 and go North.

I missed my exit ( turns out you have to know more than the hwy name for the signs to make sense), turned around and found a rest stop looking over Vallejo and the San Francisco Bay. Finally, a rest stop with a view.

Found the right exit and headed through the San Pablo Bay wildlife refuge to 101. Stopped in Cloverdale Ca for fuel and talked for a bit with a guy who rode up on a Harley. Turns out he was born in Canada and has family in BC, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. He has been living in California for about the last 45 years, but goes up every once in a while to visit.

I had seen hwy 128 on the map and showed some good squiggly lines, so away I went. The squiggly lines turned out to be some awesome twisties, and with little traffic on the road, it was pretty fun.

The map showed more squiggly lines as the road got closer to the coast. Where I am from, those kinds of lines mean steep hills. Here it can mean that the road curves through the Redwoods. And I mean curves!!

Got to Hwy 1, headed North, and even more awesome twisties. I think if I could afford it, I could spend my entire year here in California riding their roads. The ones I have seen are perfect for riding. I understand, though, that there are people here who don’t even own a motorcycle. Go figure.

Got to Albion and stopped for a break on the beach

While looking over my bike in the parking lot, this guy walks over and say, “Nice Ulysses”, then he says he has an XB12SS, then says, “that’s an 08?” Turns out he has an 1125 at home as well. So we talked Buells for a while, swapped tips, his wife came over and said,” don’t you have a bike kind of like that?”
We chatted for a bit more and I hit the road. So, Mike and Olga, if you are reading this, it was nice chatting with you.

Rode in to Mendocino to buy some groceries for camping. I don’t know if there is another grocery store in the area, but this one was interesting. Almost everything was organic, glutton free, whole wheat, enrichened or some kind of other healthy stuff…and expensive.. I had a hard time finding a few things that weren’t good for me for camping. It was almost like all the draft dodgers who came to Canada all got together and moved to Mendocino. Kind of like being in the kooteneys, for any BCers reading this.

Rode up 101, and turned onto hwy 20 to go to the campsite. The directions were pretty good, and I found it no problem. Thing was, all of the campsites along the road had gates up and signs that said “campground closed”. This wasn’t looking good. Got into the “Camp Site One” day site, and there were more gates with “Campground closed” signs on them.

Hmmm

There were a few cars in the day site parking lot, and I got talking to a guy who was waiting for his wife. So he says, “who’s going to care if you camp here, really?”
So, seeing as it was getting late, I rode into the daysite, past the “No Camping in Daysite” signs, and set up camp.

I had arrived shortly before sun set, got set up, made myself something to eat, and it was dark. It was 5:30. Hmmmm. Now what? Usually I go camping in the summer, and even though the weather here is similar to summer, or early fall at home, the sun goes down a LOT later than that. No wood for a fire. The wood I did find was soaking wet redwood. That stuff just don’t burn. I have a few tricks for getting fires going that the Sierra club might not approve of. Nope. Not happening.
So about 8:30 I climbed into my tent and read by flashlight. It was great.
Oh, and it was cold. I have camped in colder, but still, it was cold.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #45
SoSlow
Having fun

Great pictures, keep 'em coming!!!

Motel California looks pretty, uh, "busy".

That's awesome you're running into friendly folks, too - I always enjoy it when someone comes up to me out of the blue and asks me about the bike, where I'm from/going, etc...

I can't believe how big those trees are at your campsite!

Safe riding (and stay warm)!