OldPete2112
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
Holy crap.
Some party.

No doubt about it, Texas knows how to do it right. Spent some time in Corpus & Galveston, love the people and the place!

My favourite state! (ok, well maybe divided between that and Louisiana) I need to get back there.

OP
OldPete2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #484
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Day 84 May 20 442 kms “The Rally in the Crater” Mt Enterprise Tx to Little Rock AR

I woke up feeling less the stellar, slowly packed up, cleaned up around my campsite, and headed out before most people were up. I wanted to make Memphis today, and I had gotten some route advice the night before…… but, I was having a hard time remembering what that route was. I remember someone saying to head up hwy 259, turn off somewhere, and go to Texarkana, get on the freeway and head to Memphis. The turn to somewhere was supposed to be a great ride. I eventually did get to Texarkana, and it was a nice ride, all things considered, but I will probably never know if it was the route I had intended.

Just into Arkansas, I stopped at a rest area, fully intending to keep on going to Memphis.

But when I sat down at a picnic table, and put my head down for a bit of a rest, I fell asleep.

Maybe I would just head for Little Rock and see how I felt J.

The super slab was booorrriingg, and I was tired, so when I hit Little Rock, I pulled into the first cheap looking motel I saw, got checked in and had a nap.

After my quick nap, it was about suppertime, and I was feeling considerably better, so I hop on my bike to look for a place to eat. Just a little ways from my hotel was a section of every fast food restaurants known to man. I spotted an Arby’s and pulled in.

While I was waiting in line, a young fellow came up and started asking me about my bike, and he was quite interested in where I had been, where I was going, what I carried with me for gear and how I packed everything. He was asking some pretty detailed questions. Turns out he was from Little Rock, had moved to Dallas, was home for the weekend to help his Mom , and had recently bought an old KLR 600. I ordered my food, and sat down with him and visited while eating. Turns out he had, a couple of years ago, done a backpacking trip down into Mexico and Central America, and had some good stories about his adventure. I turned him on to ADVrider, and told him everything he ever wanted to know about adventure riding was right there.

Jacob, a new inmate ( I think)

I headed back to the hotel, talked to my better half and the kids for a while, and had an early night J
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #485
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 85 May 21 578 kms Little Rock AR to Lake Wappapello, Missouri

I woke up feeling way better, hit the freeway towards Memphis. Made good time, and pulled into here

I have always liked Elvis, and since I was in the neighborhood, I thought I would check it out.

I got parked, for an ungodly amount of money, and headed in to buy my ticket.

First on the tour was the mansion.

First off was the livingroom, unchanged since the last renos in the 1970’s

Dining room

Party room

Lots of gold records and awards

Final resting place

After the mansion, it was off to the car museum

Then after winding my way through gift shop after gift shop, I went to see his airplanes

I walked around a bit, checking out even more gift shops, then I headed back into Arkansas, on up to Missouri, where I found a nice campground at Lake Wappapello.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #486
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1550 View Post
Cool post on the rally, Brian, and very good ride report. As a Buell Ulysses rider I've enjoyed your ride report and as a Texan I've been proud to hear how you've enjoyed Texas, the countryside, the people, and now a small town rally. It's good to have you in our fair state and wish you the very best on the remainder of your trip. Ride safe.
Thanks harley1550

I am glad you are enjoying the ride report.

I sure do like Texas. I came for 2 days and stayed for, what? .....9?

I will be spending more time in Texas in the future. When? How? I am not sure, but I am coming back!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #487
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyDS View Post
Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #488
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
Holy crap.
Some party.

It was so!

Texans sure know how to throw a party!!

BC Brian screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 06:23 PM
Old 05-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #489
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete2112 View Post
No doubt about it, Texas knows how to do it right. Spent some time in Corpus & Galveston, love the people and the place!

My favourite state! (ok, well maybe divided between that and Louisiana) I need to get back there.

OP
I only got to see a small part of Texas. Next time I will need more time to explore. Everybody I met told me where to go to see more great stuff. I might actually need a LOT more time to see Texas :)
Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #490
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 86 May 22 364 kms Lake Wappapello, Missouri to Central City, Ky

The campsite was a bit of the beaten path, so I packed up early to get back on the path. I headed towards Kentucky, crossed the Mississippi into Illinois for about 2 minutes, then over the Ohio River into Kentucky.

Rode some nice roads through small Kentucky towns

Over the shoulder shot

I rode into Paducah, stopped to pick up a couple things, and checked my front tire. It had a lot of kms on it, and I had been watching it pretty carefully. It was to the point where I could see the wear bars, and the bike was getting a bit of vibration up front, so I called around, found a tire, and headed over to Chase Motorsports where they got me in and out with a new front tire in about half an hour.

I was due for an oil change, so leaving Paducah, I spotted this big assed Harley shop.

I bought the oil and a filter, chatted with the guys for a bit, and hit the road.
I stopped in Central City for a look around, and spotted a cheap looking motel. I checked it out, and they had a coin laundry. It was a bit early to shut her down for the day, but I was in desperate need of some clean clothes, and the room was dirt cheap (dirty as well, but cheap) so I got a room, did laundry, and spotted a Chinese buffet across the street. It had been a while since I had a good Chinese buffet, so later on, I headed over for supper. I still haven’t had a good Chinese buffet…. It was one of the worst I have ever been to. But, I had paid lots for it, so I ate as much as I could handle J
Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #491
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 87 May 23 755 kms Central City, Ky to Medina Ohio (near Cleveland)

I had been dicking around a fair bit, so I wanted to make a mile. I headed out before breakfast and headed East.

The interstate was boring, but I was eating up the miles pretty good. I stopped at a rest area, and started talking with an older fellow, and a car pulls up, the guy gets out, interrupts us, and says he needs some help. Sure, I am willing to help, what do you need? He shows us his driver’s license, and explains that he is on his way to Toledo, where his daughter was in an accident last night, and he needs help with gas money. Hmmmm. The guy seemed on the up and up, and did look pretty frazzled, and his other daughter in the car looks pretty frazzled, and he is going on about he just got his car fixed so he should be OK to make it to Toledo. I tell him I don’t have much, but I can give him a 20, and hand one over to him. He thanks me, “god blesses” me, and asks us to say a prayer for his daughter.

Now I don’t know if it was a con, or if the guy really did have a hurt daughter in Toledo, but if he was a con man, he is wasting his talents on small time cons. He was that convincing.

Anyhow, I visited with the first fellow for a bit more, then headed off towards Cincinnati.

Riding along, I looked out at the countryside, and what’s that? Hills?

Got to Cincinnati, and the highway went right through downtown.

The scenery turned back to farm land after a while

I needed to change my oil, but I didn’t really have a place to do it, or a bucket to catch the old oil, so just out of Columbus, I was ready for a break, so I spotted a Walmart, went in to look for some kind of bucket. I found this section

I bought a small tote for about $2.50 and went outside to change my oil in the back parking lot.

I got going on the oil change, and was ready to add the fresh oil. I had a gallon jug, and I knew the bike held about 3 quarts, so I am filling away, watching how much I am using, and am getting ready to stop pouring and check…… and I overfill the oil all over the ground. Crap, and I was doing so good at not making a mess. Turns out it takes 2 ½ quarts. I drain the excess oil and clean up as best as I can and head out.

I rode as far as Medina, found a room and called it a day.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #492
harley1550
Touring Rider

Oddometer: 219
I could see myself having the same oil change problem while in a hurry, in a parking lot, on the road, Brian. By the way, you're a good guy. You trusted that the frazzled traveler was truly hurting and in need and you stepped up. Good man. Ride safe.

harley1550 screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 07:21 PM
harley1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #493
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1550 View Post
I could see myself having the same oil change problem while in a hurry, in a parking lot, on the road, Brian. By the way, you're a good guy. You trusted that the frazzled traveler was truly hurting and in need and you stepped up. Good man. Ride safe.
LOL, I wasn't really in a hurry changing the oil, just a combination of not checking the oil capacity first (I thought I knew) and not paying attention. Thats usually when the work begins(walk back to the Walmart bathroom, get some more paper towel, walk back to the bike, wipe up as much oil as I can (I didn't reallly spill that much)take the paper towel to the garbage can, all while waiting for some pimple faced kid to come along and tell me I can't change my oil there)

Yeah, the guy seemed for real, and hurting, and in need. I would rather take the small chance that the guy wasn't for real, than not help a guy who really needed it. It wasn't a lot of money, but hopefully helped him get where he needed to be, or maybe help towards a meal on the way, or something.

BC Brian screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 08:05 PM
Old 05-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #494
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 88 May 24 871 kms Medina, Ohio to Albany, NY

I left Medina and took the by-pass around Cleveland. The traffic was heavy, moving steady, but still it seemed to take a long time to get out of town. I went through a bit of Pennsylvania and into New York. Near Jamestown, I pulled into a nice rest area.

That actually had a view

I had noticed since leaving Kentucky for Ohio, that the people I see in restaurants, gas stations, rest areas etc. are………uhh?……. less likely to strike up a conversation, or smile back, or say hello, or thank you for holding a door for them than people in the South. I had kind of gotten used to the idea and didn’t expect to talk to anyone in this rest area, when a lady asks me where I am from and where I am heading. Turns out her husband and her were from Cleveland, but had spent quite a bit of time in Canada, especially in Banff and Whistler skiing, and knew Kelowna and the Shuswap/Okanogan area.

I visited with her and her husband for probably well over half an hour, talking about travel, kids, Canada, the US, health care, politics, education, you name it. When we went to leave, their car wouldn’t start. I offered my jumper cables and multi meter, but they had AAA, so I hit the road, satisfied they would be OK.

The freeway was, well, a freeway, but the area was a lot hillier than down south, so there were curves and you could see a ways from the high points on the road.

Coming out of Binghamton it started to rain. There was lots of water on the road, splashing up onto the bike. I could see blue sky ahead, so I didn’t get my rain gear out. Then, all of a sudden, my Ulysses turns into a Buell Blast. That’s right, a one cylinder motorcycle.

Crap

The traffic was pretty heavy, but I was able to pull over safely. The bike is sitting there…. idling…. on both cylinders.

Hmmm.

The rain is slowing, but the roads are still covered in water, and I pull out……. Buell Blast again. I pull over, bike is idling properly.

The rain has pretty much stopped, and I can see patches of dry road ahead, so I take off, riding slowly in the break down lane, I hit the drier road, and I am off.

The skies ahead are blue, so I am in good shape….. for now……

I get to Albany late in the rush hour, traffic is really heavy, and there are black skies ahead. I get through the last toll booth, my hotel is about 2 exits ahead, it starts raining hard….. and back to one cylinder. Anticipating this, I was already in the far right lane, I pull over…. Bike is running fine, I get back into traffic, bike is running good, I find my exit and find my hotel. Once it stops raining, I am going to have to track down my problem.......
Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #495
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 89 May 25 669 kms Albany, NY to Bangor, Maine

I got up early to go and check what was up with my bike. I figured it was probably something I had done, rather than the bikes fault, and I had changed the plugs back in Vera Cruz, Mx. I pull off the stuff I have to pull off to get to the front plug ( Uly owners will understand) and it would appear I hadn’t pulled down the boot over the spark plug on the lead on the front cylinder. I pull the lead, lube it up, put it back on (not as easy as it sounds) and pull the boot down over the plug. And now I know why I didn’t do it last time. What a job to get to. Holy!! I reach in and can feel the back plug is ok so I put it back together, hoping that was the problem (I will know next rain storm),and away I go.

It was cold. It was foggy, but it wasn’t raining

I ride into Massachusetts, and more people on bikes are waving to me (in Ohio, less than a third of the bikers waved, in New York state, more than a third, in Texas and Missouri, pretty much all the bikers waved, plus people in cars, on tractors, kids on bicycles and people on the side of the road)

I had been getting lots of comments on my gas cans and panniers (pronounced Hahd Bags in Massachusetts) and when I stopped for gas, after talking to a guy for a while who was pulling a boat behind his pickup, another guy filling his truck starts asking me about my Hahd Bags. He tells me he is building a shovel head Harley, and we get to talking. After a while, he moves his truck, and comes back to visit. We had a great conversation about kids, bikes, drinking, not drinking, health problems, friends, people who are no longer friends. We sat there and chatted for quite a while. I turned him on the ADVrider, and he gave me his e-mail address, and I carried on.

If you are reading this, Junkyard Dan, it was great meeting you!

It started out cold in the morning, and stayed cold all day. As I got closer to the ocean, it just got colder. It wasn’t bad standing out of the wind, but the wind blowing off of the Atlantic had a real bite to it. I finally pulled out my lined rain jacket, but I was still cold. ( I may have been spoiled riding further South)

I finally pulled into Bangor, shivering, found a room and headed out for a bite to eat, and I found this

Made me feel a bit homesick, so I went in and ordered a meal

Timmy’s isn’t the hit here it is back home. It’s the first Tim’s I have ever been to that didn’t have a half mile line up at the drive-thru, and there was no lineup inside. In fact, there were only 3 people inside, and only 2 people working. I checked when the other people left, and they didn’t have Canadian plates J