Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #496
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Yeah, the guy seemed for real, and hurting, and in need. I would rather take the small chance that the guy wasn't for real, than not help a guy who really needed it. It wasn't a lot of money, but hopefully helped him get where he needed to be, or maybe help towards a meal on the way, or something.
That reminds me to a time my wife and I were driving from Florida to New York and we pull up to a gas station and this guy comes up to me at the pump and tells me that he was going to Kentucky and his van had broken down and need it money to get it towed. He points to the van parked to the side asn ask if I could help. I said sure I gave him a $20. Next thing I know the guy is speed walking to the van and they pull off in a hurry and take off. I wasn't very happy that I got scammed $20 but I was just trying to help. Next time I will ask more questions I guess...
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #497
Steve and Lisa World
StillaRat & Stumper

Oddometer: 13
TIMMY'S YOU LUCKY BASTAGE !
Steve and Lisa World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #498
harley1550
Touring Rider

Oddometer: 218
Ah, Tim Horton's!

We really enjoyed Tim Horton's on a trip to Ouebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia, as did our little dog. Tim's trained him to be 'at' the drive up window to get his treat! :) It was cold turkey, and sad days for him when we got back to Texas. He looked so perplexed when the drive up window folks 'just didn't get it'. :) Yeah, Tim Horton's is a great chain. Fun reading, Brian, and kudo's on that spark plug analysis and fix. And as tough as it is you got the 'easy' one! :)
harley1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #499
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Day 90 May 26 440 kms Bangor, Maine to New Horton NB Canada

I wanted to make it to Canada today, and I had met a fellow from Nova Scotia who gave me some directions that didn’t involve freeways.

I headed out through rural Maine.

I stopped for fuel near the border, hit the Duty Free store and crossed the bridge into Canada.

The border crossing wasn’t very busy. In fact, it almost looked deserted, and…… after a few border crossings, lots of Mexican Military and police checks without any issues, I got flagged for a search coming back into Canada. The young guy came out and went through pretty much every bag, box, package and pocket I had and then told me to have a good day. I told him to have a good day, he went back inside, I repacked the bike, and I was off.

I rode into Canada, stopped at a wide spot on the road and called my wife. I could now use my cell phone without paying a gadzillion dollars per minute. I rode into the next town, stopped at a truck stop, and the special was a lobster roll with fries ( kind of like a lobster hotdog). I figured I was in the Maritimes now so I had better start eating lobster.

I have some friends from BC, that I hadn’t seen for quite some time, living near Moncton, so I called to get directions and an hour later I was in Tammy and Randy’s front yard.

I had been friends with Tammy and her family for about 25 years, and was finally meeting Randy. We visited for a while, and Tammy says she had told her parents I was coming to town and did I want to go over to their place to visit? Heck yeah! So we load into Randy’s truck and head out to John and Linda’s house, about a half hour away. Tammy and Randy live on the Bay of Fundy, and on the way they asked if I wanted to stop off at Hopewell Rocks, seeing as it was on the way? You bet I did. They said the tide was pretty high but it was worth seeing even at high tide.

We pull in, but it’s closed for the day. No problem.

Tammy and Randy

We walk down to the lookout, and the tide is on its way out.

The park is closed, and there is a chain up on the entrance to walk down to the beach.

No problem

We head down and hang out on the beach for a while.

We head back to the truck, and it’s off to John and Linda`s place.

My good friends John and Linda

We BS for a quite a while, catching up and talking about old times, then it’s back to Randy and Tammy`s for a supper of Atlantic Salmon.
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #500
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
That reminds me to a time my wife and I were driving from Florida to New York and we pull up to a gas station and this guy comes up to me at the pump and tells me that he was going to Kentucky and his van had broken down and need it money to get it towed. He points to the van parked to the side asn ask if I could help. I said sure I gave him a $20. Next thing I know the guy is speed walking to the van and they pull off in a hurry and take off. I wasn't very happy that I got scammed $20 but I was just trying to help. Next time I will ask more questions I guess...
I kind of wondered if the guy was a scammer or not, but he was either for real, or was a really good scammer and I believed him. But.... I purposely did NOT google Toledo news papers for info on bad car accidents, just in case I found out there hadn't been any................ :)
Old 05-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #501
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1550 View Post
We really enjoyed Tim Horton's on a trip to Ouebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia, as did our little dog. Tim's trained him to be 'at' the drive up window to get his treat! :) It was cold turkey, and sad days for him when we got back to Texas. He looked so perplexed when the drive up window folks 'just didn't get it'. :) Yeah, Tim Horton's is a great chain.
Tim Hortons are great, and my dogs have all figured out the drive up window thing as well. In fact, they believe its the way it works at toll booths and ferry booths as well, and are dissapointed when some of these humans "just don't get it" as well.

Quote:
Fun reading, Brian, and kudo's on that spark plug analysis and fix. And as tough as it is you got the 'easy' one! :)

No kidding. Any bike crapping out on the road isn't usually an easy fix. Mind you, I won't know until the next rain if that was the problem or not. It made sense, and I didn't look any further, but my theory hasn't been tested yet. With any luck, I won't test it until sometime long after I pull into my yard at home
Old 05-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #502
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Lisa World View Post
TIMMY'S YOU LUCKY BASTAGE !
If you want I can send you a care package with a cup of coffee and a donut it it, if you have any idea what country you might be in.

It might not be all that fresh when it arrives, though..............................
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #503
harley1550
Touring Rider

Oddometer: 218
Ah, the Bay of Funde, Moncton!

You are BRINGING back GREAT memories, Brian! We stood at that very overlook and have similar pictures there! We were fortunate and the sea was out when we were there so we got to really check out the sea floor. You got down there though! :) We stayed in Moncton and really enjoyed the area. Yeah, our little dog walked that floor too, sort of, since I carried him. I also begged 'his' way onto a whale watching boat and a coal mine tour under the Atlantic while in Nova Scotia! We have very FOND memories of that trip. My wife will love seeing those pictures. Check out both of those adventures if you get to the Sydney area!
harley1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #504
Steve and Lisa World
StillaRat & Stumper

Oddometer: 13
I was meaning to ask you Brian,Have you been able to enjoy any night time riding yet? I am sure missing it more than Timmy's and no the care package would never make it through the border,the smell of a doughnut would set off all of the lunch time alarms.
Steve and Lisa World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #505
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 540
I don't know ......and maybe it is just me but is there a male familial similarity in this image? In a few years when your hair turns white check this image again and you might be surprised by what you see.

Enjoying your trip report! Cheers

Old 05-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #506
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 841
Man, you're seeing some neat stuff! That was quite the, uh, rally in Texas!

And back in Canada - even though you're way out east, does it feel like home yet?

Hopewell Rocks has now been added to my official list of Things I Must See.

Great RR, Brian - been really enjoying reading it!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #507
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 91 May 27 0 kms New Horton NB Canada

I had been told that Randy and Tammy’s house was right on the bay of Fundy, and they had a good view of the bay and could see Nova Scotia across the bay. When I pulled in yesterday, it was cold and foggy.
The only proof I had that we were anywhere near the ocean was…….. that it was cold and foggy. Tammy assured me that, yes, they lived near the ocean and had a good view. The fog didn’t lift all day and the running joke was that they lived waaayyy inland.

I woke up early this morning, went to the washroom in a bit of a haze, looked outside, and it had cleared.

View from the bathroom window (this photo is for Bride of SoSlow J)

I went outside for a better look.

They had things to do in Moncton today (about an hour away)and they asked me if I wanted to come. I told them I had never seen Moncton before, so after breakfast we headed out. First stop was the neighbors where Tammy’s car was parked.

Then we headed into town. Moncton is a pretty cool city.

It was getting late by the time they had showed me the sights and gotten their stuff in Moncton done, so we decided to go into Alma for some seafood.

Unfortunately, it was Sunday and the tourist season hadn’t started yet so we ended up going to the pizza joint. The owner is a friend of Randy and Tammy’s, and she sat with us while we ate. She was hilarious. Pretty much exactly what I picture of when I think of a maritimer. Boisterous, quick witted and a lot of fun.

And, the pizza was great. They were out of chicken wings, but if we wanted some, she would run out and get some (she said she would kill the chickens) and, so we had wings, too. ( I didn’t ask where she got them from). They were great too. When I paid for supper, I commented on how you leave Canada for a few months, and when you get back the money is made out of plastic. How did that happen. She commented that a lot of people are complaining that the new money sticks together, so I should watch for that. I asked to see the money I had given her, and she kind of hid the till from me, and told me to start watching for the sticky money…….. tomorrow J

We drove down to the dock to check out the boats. There is a huge tide in the Bay of Fundy, and at low tide these boats sit on the ground.

We headed back to Tammy and Randy’s and did some work around the place. Well, Randy did, and I watched and offered advice J
Old 05-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #508
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You are BRINGING back GREAT memories, Brian! We stood at that very overlook and have similar pictures there! We were fortunate and the sea was out when we were there so we got to really check out the sea floor. You got down there though! :) We stayed in Moncton and really enjoyed the area. Yeah, our little dog walked that floor too, sort of, since I carried him. I also begged 'his' way onto a whale watching boat and a coal mine tour under the Atlantic while in Nova Scotia! We have very FOND memories of that trip. My wife will love seeing those pictures. Check out both of those adventures if you get to the Sydney area!
Its awesome here. I am heading for Sydney for the the morning Ferry. Not sure what else I will see there. I might spend an extra day or 2 in Nova Scotia on the way back..... its pretty nice here :)
Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #509
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Lisa World View Post
I was meaning to ask you Brian,Have you been able to enjoy any night time riding yet? I am sure missing it more than Timmy's and no the care package would never make it through the border,the smell of a doughnut would set off all of the lunch time alarms.

I haven't been doing a lot of night riding, just down to restaurants and stuff after I have gotten a room for the night.
Night riding is dark and I want to see stuff :)

I think the lunch alarms go steady at the borders. Always seems to be someone out for lunch, and its seems to always be the guy who deals with motorcycles..... go figure.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #510
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
I don't know ......and maybe it is just me but is there a male familial similarity in this image? In a few years when your hair turns white check this image again and you might be surprised by what you see.

Enjoying your trip report! Cheers

Yeah, now that I look at the photo, there is a bit of resemblance. But, there is no relation........that I know of.........

BC Brian screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 06:29 PM