Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #526
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknbc View Post
Moncton, Flower pots,.....you were standing where a great person once stood ....ME in 83!! (actually 84, but it didn`t rhyme) My bedroom window looked out over Dorchesters front lawn.,.....(across the valley, 5 miles downstream) Your buddy should send an "Old Shediac Road" sign to make up for the "Hwy 24" one he stole from us. If you get a chance to stumble across a small community dance or talent show or some other event, take it. Really fun, talented, cool people on the east coast.
I forgot that you were out here back then.

LOL, I quized him on the sign. He didn't have much of a comment :) Do you remember them? they lived out at the 108. They rode with some of us quite a bit back in the day....

Yeah, lots of great people out here. I am having a great time.

those people you were jamming with at my wedding...... most of them are from out this way....................
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #527
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 95 May 31 113 kms Corner Brook NL

I spent a pretty relaxed morning, visiting with the couple from Saskatchewan, doing laundry and just basically lying about. In the afternoon it had warmed up a bit, so I headed out to check out the road to Bottle Cove. I heard it was a nice ride, so away I went.
It wasn’t very far, and I had all afternoon, so I stopped and looked around quite a bit.

The road was nice and curvy, and there wasn’t much traffic and there were lots of places to stop.

I rode past a provincial park, and figured I should really get a photo.

I got to the end of the road at Lark Harbour.

I headed back down the road and over the peninsula to Bottle Cove.

I had heard there was a restaurant there right on the water, but I couldn’t find it, so I went back to Larks Harbour for a bite to eat. Ya gotta like a restaurant with a stack of lobster traps out front (I had the roast beef sandwich)

I headed back to Corner Brook, looked around town for a bit, and back to my room for more relaxing, and a nap. J
Old 06-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #528
NS_Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post

We pulled into Port aux Basques about 6:00 PM and…… I was in Newfoundland.

Port aux Basques

I wanted to make it a ways before I shut it down for the night, so I headed towards Corner Brook (pretty much the only choice in roads) I was dangerously low on gas, so I stopped at a little place, and all they had was regular. My whole trip, the only other place I had to buy regular, and that includes some pretty small towns in Mexico and Guatemala, was in a little town in California. I needed fuel, and the Buell does run ok on regular (though it prefers not to) and…. while I was filling up, there were people to visit with J
It seems that this little gas station/store is the 1st place off the ferry to buy beer, and the truckers were stopping to pick some up, I guess for the drive to St John’s…….. just a bit scary, but whatever works, I guess. The conversations all started with “donsha thoink iss a beet coal owt fer raiden dat mo’oseekle, buy?

I got advice from the nice ladies in the store on places to stay (the one B&B in town wasn’t open yet. It wasn’t tourist season yet)

Hi Brian,

I have been following your trip since you started. Your are having the ride of a lifetime thats for sure! I haven't checked your progress for a couple of weeks so what a surprise this morning when I checked and you had been to my hometome: Port aux Basques! This is where I was born and raised. I lived there until I was 22 yrs old at which point I joined the navy. That was 1988. I have been living in Halifax since then. I have a lot of good memories from back home. There is not much left there now though but Port aux Basques used to be a very properous little town. Everybody that wanted to work could. The shut down of the fishery and the CN Railway really dealt the area a tough blow. Pretty much everybody I grew up with have moved away. Most out west to the oil fields for work.

Enjoy your time in NL, it really is a beautiful province and some of the scenery is breathtaking for sure. Just get the people to slow down when you talk to them . The dialect there is unique for sure.
NS_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #529
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 96 June 1 290 kms Corner Brook NL to Baddeck NS

I wanted to make the ferry back to Nova Scotia, so I got up before breakfast and loaded the bike. It wasn’t raining yet, but the weather man said 100% chance of rain, and it wasn’t very warm out. I put on most of the clothes I have, put my rain gear on over top of that and pulled my wet weather gloves over my regular gloves. I was ready for anything.

After a short while I hit rain. Not “coming down hard” type of rain, but a mist that covered my visor that after a bit built up to a pretty good rain. I hadn’t had any rain since the “running on one cylinder” episode, and my bike ran like a top through the rain. Whew!

I got to Port aux Basques in what I thought was plenty of time. They were loading trucks onto the ferry, so I thought it was a good opportunity to pull off my rain gear. Just as I am half way done, a ferry worker comes up and tells me they are stopping trucks to let me go ahead of them, and she tells me I can finish up on board.
Hmmm. I have one leg in and one leg out of my rain pants, and they are holding loading the ferry for me.

I hurry up getting my pants off, toss them on the back of the bike, and ride past all the waiting trucks and park. I pack up all my stuff and go up to my deck for the 6 hour ferry ride.

They have big screen tvs all over the place and big comfy chairs to nap on. It was great.

The sun was shining in North Sydney, so I hit the road sans rain gear, and it wasn’t even all that cold there. I pulled into the campsite with the cabins I had stayed in previously, and it was like old home week. The proprietor greeted me, welcomed me back, apologized profusely that my cabin was taken, but he had an older one that he could give me a bit cheaper. Sweet.

I get to my cabin and it is next to a young fellow I had met there before, and we got to talking, and drinking, and talking, and before you know it I was half drunk and he was asking me if I wanted to go to town with him for a few at the legion. I could see this turning into a real runaway, so I politely declined and away he went in a cab.

I slept great in my nice warm cabin.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #530
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 97 June 2 475 kms Baddeck NS to Antigonish NS via theCabot Trail.

I had heard the Cabot Trail was an awesome ride, so I figured if the weather was nice I would do that this morning. I woke up to sunny, clear blue skies.

I headed into to Baddeck for gas and a few groceries.

I followed the old road by Bras d’Or Lake, up onto the Highway, and onto the Cabot Highway. It’s a great road with lots of pullouts to check the scenery.

I watched the lobster boats for a while.

I looked at the time and realised that in the last 4 hours I had made about 100 kilometers, so I figured if I wanted to get around the trail today, I had better get moving. I got about a kilometer, and pulled over again.

I visited there with a couple of local tourists ( from Halifax) and finally got going again. It’s an awesome road with lots of twisties and very little traffic.

I had thought about heading up to Bay St Lawrence at the northern end of Nova Scotia, but figured I had dicked around too much and decided to pass on it. The road had good patches with new pavement, and some not so good sections with old rough pavement, and after a while the road was getting pretty narrow and not so smooth. I pulled into another small town, following the main road, and all of a sudden, the road stopped. Right at the ocean. Hmmm. I pulled out my handy dandy iPhone to check the map, and no cell signal. There was a little shop selling fishing supplies, so I got off my bike, walk up to the guy and ask him where the heck I was. He kind of laughs at me and tells me I am at Bay St Lawrence, the northern tip of Nova Scotia. I told him “That’s where I thought I was, how the heck do I get back to the road?”
He laughs at me, gives me directions, and we visit for a bit, and I am back on the road. Seems I was gawking around at all the scenery and missed the turn J

I ride for a while, enjoying the roads and the scenery.

After a while I pull into Cheticamp, where I got gas and a bite to eat .

I finally get back to the main Highway, and I have now done the Cabot Trail. It’s an awesome ride, and I highly recommend it to anyone who finds themselves in the area.

I head South on the main road, cross back onto the mainland, and after a while I start to look for a spot to pull over for a break. There aren’t many pullouts on this section of road, so near Heatherton (I think) I pull off on a side road, ride for a little bit and find a place to turn around. Just then a guy standing in front of his house with a few guys hollers out at me, and waves me into his driveway. I pull in, and he asks me if I am lost. I tell him, no, I am just looking for a spot to have a smoke. He says this is a good spot to have a smoke, so I park the bike and go and meet George, Harold and Brian. We stand around shooting the breeze for a bit, and someone (Kenneth) shows up with some beer. George offers me a beer, but I decline, and say I am driving. Well, he doesn’t believe that I don’t want a beer, he says he can see it in my eyes that I want one, so I end up having a beer with them as well. They were a great bunch of guys. Harold is a retired truck driver who has been all over Canada, and had some great stories. George had worked in BC quite a bit and had some pretty wild stories about Kamloops and Kelowna.
I have been feeling the costs of being back in Canada, and I was thinking about hinting a bit about setting up my tent in their back yard….. But with this bunch,(like I said, great stories) I could, again, see it turning into a runaway, So I thanked them for the beer, hit the road again, and ended up in a fairly decent, but seriously expensive Motel room in Antigonish, next door to a McDonald’s, where I finally tried the McLobster, which was half the price of the lobster roll I had in New Brunswick, but not a third as good J
Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #531
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS_Rider View Post
Hi Brian,

I have been following your trip since you started. Your are having the ride of a lifetime thats for sure! I haven't checked your progress for a couple of weeks so what a surprise this morning when I checked and you had been to my hometome: Port aux Basques! This is where I was born and raised. I lived there until I was 22 yrs old at which point I joined the navy. That was 1988. I have been living in Halifax since then. I have a lot of good memories from back home. There is not much left there now though but Port aux Basques used to be a very properous little town. Everybody that wanted to work could. The shut down of the fishery and the CN Railway really dealt the area a tough blow. Pretty much everybody I grew up with have moved away. Most out west to the oil fields for work.

Enjoy your time in NL, it really is a beautiful province and some of the scenery is breathtaking for sure. Just get the people to slow down when you talk to them . The dialect there is unique for sure.
Hi NS_Rider.

I am glad you are enjoying my RR. It has been an awesome experience.

Although I was only there for a short time,I really enjoyed Newfoundland. Pulling into Port aus Basques on the ferry I was really impressed with how it looked. Like something out of a newfoundland postcard with all the houses built up on the rocks.

The people there were great. I spent a lot of time talking with people, and yeah, you really have to listen to catch what they are saying. I had a lot of fun there :)
Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #532
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 98 June 3 409 kms Antigonish NS to New Horton NB

I wanted to catch the 8:00 AM ferry to PEI, so I packed up early and went in search of gas. The first gas station was closed, so I carried on and found 2 right across the road from each other. The one on my side of the road had a few cars at it, but the one across from it had no vehicles at the pumps. I pulled in to the slow one, filled up (Nova Scotia doesn’t have “pay before pumping”) went to go and pay…… and the door was locked.

Crap.

Obviously the night guy hadn’t turned off the pumps when he locked up. Now what? I didn’t feel comfortable leaving without paying, The Gas was worth $15.13, and I didn’t have the right change on me, so I wrote a note, wrapped it around a $20 bill, and added to the note “Please donate the change to your favorite charity.” And stuffed it in the door frame
I went to leave, but thought I should tell somebody that the pumps were left on. I tried to google the police phone number on my iPhone, couldn’t find it, so I walked over to the gas station next door to see if they knew anyone working at my gas station (Antiginosh is a pretty small town) I told the guy in the other station what was going on, and he and the one customer left seemed pretty interested in the possibility of free gas ( it was the way they looked at each other) So I asked again if he could phone someone and he said he would. I headed back and took my note and money from the door and pushed it through a small opening in the garage door, onto the garage floor. (I had told the fellows in the other gas station that I had stuffed my payment in the door.) and I headed off, satisfied that I had done all I could.

I got to the ferry in plenty of time and visited with a couple from Kingston Ont while waiting for the ferry

I got loaded onto the ferry, and headed out to PEI

It wasn’t a long trip so I walked around a bit, checking out the boat, and then visited with the Kingston couple for the rest of the trip.

And then I was on Prince Edward Island. Lots of farms and open spaces.

Pulled into Charlottetown and decided to look around a bit.

Then it was off to the Confederation Bridge, connecting PEI with the mainland.

Big assed bridge

I stopped at the rest area on the New Brunswick side of the bridge for a bite to eat, and when I was heading back to my bike, I noticed my back tire.

I had put that tire on in Guadalajara, and, never having run a Pirelli Angel before, I was kind of concerned with the way it was wearing. A bit different than most tires I had run before. I had been checking it regularly, and I knew it would need replacing soon. I had checked this morning before leaving the motel and it looked like it was doing ok. Now I saw chords showing. Crap. I was still quite a ways from Moncton….. and it was Sunday. I carried on slowly, stopping about every 20 kms or so to check the wear. I got to Moncton, and it still looked…….well, not OK, but…… not super bad. It was still about 70 kms to my friends Randy and Tammy’s house. So away I went, slowly, checking lots, and made it to their house, where I pulled the tire to take to town for replacement tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #533
harley1550
Touring Rider

Oddometer: 223
Great pictures, and trip, Brian. How many miles on that Angel? I put one on my Uly and after 5500 miles it looks nearly new but of course the second half always goes faster.
harley1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #534
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 99 June 4 79 kms New Horton to Sussex

Randy and Tammy were heading into town in the afternoon, so I called around and found a place that had a tire. We headed into Moncton and stopped off to visit John and Linda for a bit. They dropped me off at the big assed BMW, Ducati, Suzuki, Triumph and Yamaha shop and went off to do what they needed to do while I wandered around looking at bikes while I waited for my tire.

We went back to Randy and Tammy’s and I put the tire back on, had a big bowl of fish chowder (Thanks Tammy) and headed towards Fredericton.

It was cool out, and windy, but not raining. I made it to Fundy National Park when the drizzle started. It wasn’t bad, and I figured it wouldn’t last long, so I didn’t put my rain gear on.(Note to self, put on your rain gear) By the time it started to really rain, I was already pretty wet, but I put on my rain gear to keep from getting wetter. It got colder and wetter, so when I stopped in Sussex for gas, I decided say screw it and get a room. I got signed in and went out to unload the bike….. and the rain stopped. J

Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #535
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 100 June 5 1126 kms Sussex NB to Vars Ont

When I got up it was cold. Cold and raining. I took off towards Quebec…. In the rain. It stopped raining by Fredericton, but was still cold and gloomy out. Every so often the sky would brighten up a bit, and I would get my hopes up that there would be some sun, then it would rain a bit. I stopped a few times, and once I was out of the wind, it would feel not too bad (not warm, just not bone chilling cold)

I finally got to Quebec

It slowly warmed up all day, and between Quebec City and Montreal, it was actually turning into a nice day.

As I got near Montreal, it was getting pretty warm out. The skies were still threatening to open up, so I kept my rain gear on.

As long as I was still moving I wasn’t getting too warm. I pulled into Montreal right at rush hour, and traffic was backed up, stop and go traffic, all the way through town (Montreal is a pretty big place). It took about an hour to get to the other side and by that time I was cooking. I stopped at a rest stop at the Ontario border, and even though the skies behind me were still looking pretty black, the skies ahead looked good, so I pulled off my rain gear and hoped for the best.

It was getting late, so I started looking for a place for the night. I stopped in Casselman and called the only motel town. I asked how much for a room for the night, and even though it was a bit pricey, it was the only game in town, so I thanked her and headed out to find the place. It wasn’t where I thought it was, so it took me a bit to find it. I walked in, told the girl I had called, and she says “Oh, I thought you just wanted the price. We don’t actually have any rooms available.”

Really?

So I headed off in search of a room, and found a crappy (even by Mexican standards) place in Vars for way too much money. But, it’s warm and dry (the rain caught up again) and the internet is fast J
Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #536
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 886
1126km? Holy crap!

That's quite the haul!

The photos and stories are awesome - and riding the Confederation Bridge is now officially on my "must do" list!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #537
Snooz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Hey BC Brian - I'm a long time follower / first time replier! Following your trip has been a great story thus far! I started out reading your thread as a fellow Uly rider and now read along just for reading sake. It's good to see the Uly doing it's job so well - unless of course you have a different opinion on the matter that I haven't read about "between the lines".

I sense you are eating up the miles now on your trip. Straight across Canada? Up around Lake Superior? What a ride that will be!

I'm in Alberta - a little municipality 10 minutes off the Trans Canada just west of Calgary. If you need a place to crash on your way through, send me a PM, as the saying goes.

Safe travels!
"The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away." -Tom Waits
Snooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #538
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1550 View Post
Great pictures, and trip, Brian. How many miles on that Angel? I put one on my Uly and after 5500 miles it looks nearly new but of course the second half always goes faster.
Hi harley1550

Angel had right on 8000 miles when I changed it. It was done! chords showing and all that.

It wore kind of funny, like the hard rubber center squared off and the soft outside rubber wore faster. There was still tread on either side of the worn out center. I have never seen wear like that, but then I have never run ths tire before. I bought another one just like it, so I will see how this one wears. :)
Old 06-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #539
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
1126km? Holy crap!

That's quite the haul!

The photos and stories are awesome - and riding the Confederation Bridge is now officially on my "must do" list!
I don't mind so much riding in the cold and wet, but sight seeing in the rain....... I would rather just ride.

That wasn't marathon type riding, just riding steady, and not stopping every 5 minutes to look around and talk to total strangers :)

Confederation bridge was cool, fer sher. They don't charge you to get on to the island, just to get off. So if you do go there, and want to ferry one way, ferry onto the island for free and bridgfe off. The bridge is $18 to cross and the ferry is $40......
Old 06-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #540
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooz View Post
Hey BC Brian - I'm a long time follower / first time replier! Following your trip has been a great story thus far! I started out reading your thread as a fellow Uly rider and now read along just for reading sake. It's good to see the Uly doing it's job so well - unless of course you have a different opinion on the matter that I haven't read about "between the lines".

I sense you are eating up the miles now on your trip. Straight across Canada? Up around Lake Superior? What a ride that will be!

I'm in Alberta - a little municipality 10 minutes off the Trans Canada just west of Calgary. If you need a place to crash on your way through, send me a PM, as the saying goes.

Safe travels!
Thanks Snooz

I am glad you are enjoying my RR. Its been great so far, bad weather included

Uly has been great. Its done everything I have asked of it so far without complaining too much. Its been a great bike and I am totally impressed. And... it sounds great when you twist the throttle

Yep, on the road towards home now. Tomorrow its Sault Ste Marie and up around the lake. I hear it's a big assed lake.:)

Ontario so far has far exceeded expectations ( I am not sure what my expectations were, but they have been exceeded) I am looking forward to seeing more.

I am not sure if I am going through Calgary or taking the Northern road. I probably won't know until I get there, but if I am in your neighborhood, I will for sure get ahold of you.

Thanks