Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #586
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBaloo22 View Post
Brian, I really enjoyed your RR. I know it's time consuming, but being able to "ride" vicariously through others sure is enjoyable. I enjoyed your pics and commentary and always looked forward to the new posts. Glad you're home safe and look forward to more in the future.
Bob
Thanks BOBaloo22 (Thats still fun to say outloud)

I always enjoy following people Ride Reports, so I am glad I was able to provide some reading for you and anybody who followed along.

BC Brian screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 01:50 AM
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #587
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted-hog View Post
Found your RR a few weeks ago on a rainy Sunday morning (been hav'n lots of those here on the coast). Took me a few hours of reading to catch up to you. Enjoyed every minute of it, great photos also. Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound.
Enjoy your Father's Day.
Looknig forward to your next RR.

Steve.
I am glad you enjoyed it twisted-hog

It's always good to read about someone enjoying riding in the hot weather when its wet and dismal outside.

Mind you..... if you found it a few weeks ago, there is a good chance I was braving the cold Atlantic winds and rain while you were in your nice warm house reading about me freezing my butt off.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #588
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNozr View Post
Nice ride Brian. Good to hear you are back.
Thanks Len

I am assuming you are home now, you were almost there the last time I checked. Once I am done here, I am catching up on your RR.

BluNozr has been on an epic, North America, South America, Caribean year long adventure.

Anyone who hasn't seen it, its a great read.

Click here for Lens Awesome adventure
Old 06-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #589
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
The cost breakdown is more than excellent, Brian. It will be very helpful to me when I begin my trip.
Thankyou ever so much! Excellent RR
Toad
I have daily detail and you are welcome to my spreadsheet if you want it. Its not fancy, and not super accurate, but it does give a half assed idea of what you can expect, especially for the Mexico portion of your trip.

PM me if you wouild like a copy ( that goes for anyone who's interested)

I am looking forward to reading about your adventure (Hint hint)
Old 06-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #590
bride_of_so_slow
Along for the Ride

Oddometer: 8
It wasn't THAT bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Thanks Mrs SoSlow, for all you hospitality,and for not wrinkling your nose too much when I pulled off my boots

As soon as I see my friend we were talking about, I will send you some autographed copies of her books (She will get a kick out of it when I ask her to sign it To "bride_of_so_slow") LOL

Thanks again for everything.
Heh. The guinea pig didn't pass out when you took your boots off and I was already congested - so no worries!

The weekend was so much fun that it was hard to get back to work and regular life on Monday. You're welcome to come back if you happen to decide that you need to see the Prairies again.

Thanks again for thinking of me with those books - I'm going to really enjoy them. Very, very cool. Such a strange small world sometimes!

It was great to hear your stories (and share a few of ours). I like reading your RR's so you ever start a blog or anything, let me and SoSlow know.

Say hi to your family for us and have a great summer!
bride_of_so_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #591
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bride_of_so_slow View Post
Heh. The guinea pig didn't pass out when you took your boots off and I was already congested - so no worries!

The weekend was so much fun that it was hard to get back to work and regular life on Monday. You're welcome to come back if you happen to decide that you need to see the Prairies again.

Thanks again for thinking of me with those books - I'm going to really enjoy them. Very, very cool. Such a strange small world sometimes!

It was great to hear your stories (and share a few of ours). I like reading your RR's so you ever start a blog or anything, let me and SoSlow know.

Say hi to your family for us and have a great summer!
Thanks Mrs SoSlow

Books are picked up and signed. I will send them out tomorrow, or the next day.....or the next :)

I dunno about a blog, but stay tuned for more of the RR. Still not sure what is happening, or what continent it will be on.......there are so many options, but only so much money *sigh*

My understanding yet somewhat frustrated wife and kids say Hi back atcha. We have the spare room cleaned out just in case you and SoSlow make it out this way sometime (Ok, its not cleaned out yet, but it will be........ really it will)
Old 09-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #592
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

I had a great summer home with the family. We spent a lot of time dirtbiking, and the kid’s skill level went up dramatically over the summer.

The little guy went from this

To this

And learned how to do this

We went to some community events

Did lots of family quading.

Played in the mud.

I hosted inmate Dazzer and his better half for a few days. They are from England, on a RTW and stopped by on their way to Alaska. (They made it to Prudhoe Bay….in September. I understand it was less than balmy.)

We got a chance to swap lots of stories. They have been on the road since May, and have done Europe, Mongolia, Russia, Korea, Cambodia, Thailand etc and had great stories from everywhere they have been.

Dazzer took the opportunity to do some Maintenance on his 660 Tenere (They should really bring these to Canada)

I really enjoyed having them here and hope to see them again on the road, or at their place in England.

My wife and I talked about many different options for my fall ride. We talked seriously about Australia, South Africa, back to Latin America, or maybe I would tour the States.

For Australia, I would have flown over there, bought a bike ( cheaper than renting) maybe do a lap of the country and be home by Christmas.

For South Africa, I was looking at flying there, renting a bike and touring around a bit, maybe visiting Namibia and Mozambique.

I have been to about 18 states in my life, including Hawaii and Alaska, so I thought I might ride the buell through the rest of the states, getting home late November.

I didn’t think there was money in the budget to ride to Chile or Argentina and still fly the Buell home, so I thought maybe I would ride my KLR, or buy a cheap bike, and ride as far as I could before Christmas, give the bike to some random stranger, and fly home. The KLR needed some work, and I didn’t really want to abandon it, so I went onto craigs list to start looking for cheap bikes that might make the trip.

Well, I, as I am sure most of you do when looking on Craigslist, also look around for the cool bikes I would like to have one day. While doing this, I came across this.

And, as I have done so many times before, I showed the computer to my understanding yet somewhat frustrated wife, and she said “Nice, but can we afford it?” I told her “sure, I could use some of my travel money to buy it.”

So she says “ but what about your trip?” So I says, not seriously, “ I could buy it and just go down to Texas for 2 or 3 weeks.”

And she says “ You mean you would be home in 3 weeks?” and I say “Yeah”

Now, those of you who know my wife know that when she wants something, she is usually neither shy nor quiet about saying what she wants, and she says, in a very quiet voice “I would like that”

All right then. A decision was made.

I contacted the guy, and the bike was still available, but was about 1200 kms from my house. We talked back and forth for a few days, and I asked him if he, knowing the bike, would ride the bike to Texas tomorrow. He said “No”, and I said “No?” and he said he would need to go over the bike and do some maintenance and check everything over, but there really wasn’t much wrong with it….. and, he would drop the price considerably if I wanted it.

So, last week, away I went to see this bike, looked it over, got the low down on what he figured it needed, loaded it in a trailer and drove home.

I got it home and went to work on it. It needed lots of attention, and a few parts. Fortunately, I had some of the things I needed and was able to rob some stuff off my chopper.

So on Monday(ish), I am going to hop on a 36 year old bike that I don’t know very well, and head of in a Texasly direction (as we know I don’t always end up where I think I am going )

What could possibly go wrong ? J

BC Brian screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 07:46 PM
Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #593
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,777
Hi Brian, looks like you had a very nice summer with the family. That Shovelhead looks really good, looking forward to another of your RRs.

Be Safe,
Bob
Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #594
bride_of_so_slow
Along for the Ride

Oddometer: 8
"What could possibly go wrong?"

That's how some of the best adventures (and country songs) start.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, your "understanding yet somewhat frustrated" wife is pretty cool. Glad you found a way to do a bit more adventuring too.

Enjoy the ride!
bride_of_so_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #595
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,081
I wanted to see you give the KLR to a random stranger!!
Next time, maybe?
Looking forward to your report, nevertheless.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #596
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

New Thread

I had planned on continuing this thread with my latest adventures, but now I am thinking that a new thread may be in order, being a whole new trip on a different bike and all that.

So, click if you want to follow my latest adventure.

The Wanderings of a 36 year old Electrglide I will dual post for a few days, then, at some point, or when the mods give me crap for dual posting, I will post just on the new thread.

Thanks for following J

BC Brian screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 08:45 PM
Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #597
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 1.Sept 17 442 kms Home to Williams Lake

This morning I waited with the kids for the school bus, checked the bike over one more time, kissed my wife, twice, and headed out on the road. I had to run into town first to pick up yet another prescription that should help with the medical issue I have been dealing with.

While waiting for the prescription, my phone rang. Turns out one of my 8 year olds had, while on the school playground, tripped and landed face first on a bee.

I met my wife at the school, gave my girl a hug and promised I wouldn`t kiss her J

I said goodbye again, kissed my wife again, and I was on the road.

I have only had the bike a short time, and had gone over it carefully, replacing and fixing what was needed, but it was still an old bike unknown to me, so I took it easy, stopping occasionally to check things out on the way. I have had old Harleys before, and am quite accustomed to daily and even hourly maintenance. I am sure this bike will be no different. Locktite is my friend J
Except for bit of pinging, which I straightened out by tweaking the timing, the old girl ran like a clock. After the first 2 or 3 hundred kilometers, I was feeling a bit more confident with it.

The weather was warm, bordering on hot. I didn`t stop much, except for gas and to look the bike over until I got to McLeese Lake, where I found some shade to stop for a break.

I rode as far as Williams Lake, to my good friends` house.

Inmate Sonic1c, his better half, and their 2 dogs, Shrek and Fiona.

I hadn`t seen them much in the last while, so it was nice to visit and talk about old times
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #598
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBaloo22 View Post
Hi Brian, looks like you had a very nice summer with the family. That Shovelhead looks really good, looking forward to another of your RRs.

Be Safe,
Bob
Thanks Bob

The summer was great. We had all kinds of fun and did lots of cool stuff.

I had a couple of Shovels back in the day and have been kind of half way looking for another one for quite a while. Lots available, but none of them really "spoke" to me like this one did.

I hope you enjoy my latest RR
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #599
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bride_of_so_slow View Post
"What could possibly go wrong?"

That's how some of the best adventures (and country songs) start.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, your "understanding yet somewhat frustrated" wife is pretty cool. Glad you found a way to do a bit more adventuring too.

Enjoy the ride!
Hello B_o_S_S (hey, I just got that LOL)

Yes, my beautiful bride is definately a keeper. Even though she doesn't always "Get" me, she does real well at accepting me and my ways :)

I hope you enjoy my next trip and I will keep my eye out for a lavatory with a spectacular vista
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #600
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
I wanted to see you give the KLR to a random stranger!!
Next time, maybe?
Looking forward to your report, nevertheless.
I know, right?

That would have been great, see some young guy on the street, and ask him "muchacho, te gusta motos?" If he said, Si, I could say, "un regalo para ti" and hand him the keys and walk away.

One day, I would like to do that. :)