Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #76
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 78
Hey Brian
Just found your RR.

Boy, can I relate to your comments about borders and uptight guardians. My last time into the states I was reminded that I had been arrested for hitchiking in North Dakota on February 14th, 1973! The price we pay for being children of the 60's. (I should have been busted for being stupid enough to be standing beside the road in a bloody blizzard expecting someone to pick up a hippy)

I think we met on the last Big Trailie, and as someone noted, there will be another one next Labour Day.

Ride safely, ride well, and make the time to take it all in.
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #77
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Day11 Dec 9 340 kms Sacramento Ca to Morgan Hill Ca

Got all packed up this morning and loaded the bike. Said goodbye to the staff and some of the guests of the hostel, and went for a quick walk to the park to see if Occupy tree guy was still there. He was no longer living in the tree. Seems he got cold, came down and was immediately arrested.

Rode out to Antelope Ca and stopped to see inmate Padaca 14. Had a great visit, BS’d about bikes, cars, travel, bikes and then talked a bit more about bikes. He told me about a bike shop nearby, so I stopped and shopped for a jacket. After quite a bit of looking, (the place is HUGE) I found a good jacket I could afford. Tossed my old jacket in a dumpster ( I will miss you, old jacket) and headed off to San Francisco.

Got done what needed done in S F, and headed over to see inmate SF_motogrrl, who had graciously allowed me to have some papers couriered to her house. She has ridden the Baja extensively, and was a wealth of information on what to do, see and where to go while I am there. Thanks SF_Motogrrl.

There was more that I wanted to do while in San Francisco , but it was getting late and I wanted to make a mile. So away I went, in heavy traffic, heading South ( SF_Motogrrl also gave me good directions for getting the heck out of town)

So, South I went……… on the freeway………. in heavy traffic. And the traffic got heavier, and heavier, and I stopped, and I went, and I stopped. I spent as much time in the car pool lane as I could but there were times when the car pool lane was stopped and the other lanes were flying by. I was hoping to get as far as Hollister Ca, but as it got darker, the traffic just seemed to get slower, so I took a likely looking offramp and grabbed a room.

BC Brian screwed with this post 12-10-2011 at 09:34 PM
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #78
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day12 Dec 10 293 kms Morgan Hill Ca to Paso Robles

There was frost on my seat this morning, so I scraped it off, turned on the grip warmers and away I went. I took the hwy 25 turn off an rode into Hollister. Took a walk around the main street. It was still pretty early, and wasn’t too busy yet. A few people out and one old guy standing on the street singing at the top of his lungs. Took a few pictures and away I went.

What are ya rebelling against, Johnny?

Got back on 25, rode a few miles and stopped for fuel……and….. had my first road side repair. Tumblers on my locking gas cap had been getting sticky and it was hard to get the key in and out. Took the mechanism apart, WD40’d the heck out of it, got fuel and back on the road. Didn’t even have to pull my tools out, did it all with my handy dandy Leatherman.
Hwy 25 has some nice scenery. Rode some twisties going up into the hills

Then down into some ranching country.

its a great road, lots of twisties going up and down the mountains. Not very many people, and most of the people I saw were driving pickups. I saw town signs that actually said “population 18” gotta like it J

Turned left at hwy 198 and twisted and turned up out of the valley.

Turned onto the parkfield-coalinga road for some AWESOME riding. The road shows as “unknown-surface not indicated” on the map SF_motogrrl had given me. It was a lane and a half paved road for the first 10 miles. Up and down and around and back up and back down. I am talking tight, paved, 1st and 2nd gear corners, one after another after another.

Wound up and over a mountain, then turned to decent dirt road back down the other side, twisting and turning all the way down. It might have been a bit better on a more dirt oriented bike, but the buell handled it just fine.

Turned onto hwy 46 and rode into Paso Robles.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #79
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhed View Post
Hey Brian
Just found your RR.

Boy, can I relate to your comments about borders and uptight guardians. My last time into the states I was reminded that I had been arrested for hitchiking in North Dakota on February 14th, 1973! The price we pay for being children of the 60's. (I should have been busted for being stupid enough to be standing beside the road in a bloody blizzard expecting someone to pick up a hippy)

I think we met on the last Big Trailie, and as someone noted, there will be another one next Labour Day.

Ride safely, ride well, and make the time to take it all in.
I have friends that were arrested back then just for having long hair!!

Yeah, we probably did meet last summer at the big trailie. What were you on? I am a lot better at remembering bikes than names or faces :)

I didn't know they were having one this year or that it was going to be in September. Thanks for the info. I just signed up.......well..... sorta
Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #80
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Great read Brian!
RockyDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #81
00Buck
dirt rules

Oddometer: 195
Just discovered this! Great to see you on the road finally! We briefly met on BCBTR 6 near Farwell Canyon. I was riding a DR650. Afterwards I pm'd you to discuss Buells since I also own a red '09 Ulysses. Your trip is looking great, memories are being made. Glad you pulled it off!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #82
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Love this Brian.Found this yesterday and read thru it drooling over the pics.Thanks for all the pics,I know it takes time and energy to pull over and take them when sometimes you just want to keep going.Please keep up the pics for us riders who are unable to,or are too chicken to do what you are doing.
P.S. Thank U Mrs.Brian for being such a wonderful wife
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #83
NWT John
Frozen in the North

Oddometer: 15
Great RR

Incredible ride report. Makes me want to shovel the snow from my bike and join you.
Have an awesome ride.
NWT John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #84
ToasterTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Enjoying your RR. Your opening paragraph resonated with my own desires for a long unscripted ride to far destinations with no schedule. But so like your experience until now, there is always something that jumps in the way.....Congrats on finally commencing on your trip!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #85
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,032
Hi Brian,

Enjoying your ride report and maybe run into you down south. I'm leaving Vancouver in 11 days and counting. It's going to be a little colder than when you left but I don't care because everyday I ride it's going to get a little warmer the closer I get to Mexico.

Cheers........
lexluther11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #86
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day13 Dec 11 490 kms Paso Robles to Chula Vista

Day13 Dec 11 490 kms Paso Robles to Chula Vista

Woke up this morning with no real destination in mind, except to head South. Got out the maps for a look, and thought “I have been dicking around long enough. I should really be in Mexico”

Hopped onto the 101 and headed South. The freeway, while a good way to make some time, is booooring. Well, at least until you get close to LA. I wouldn’t say it’s real fun, what with the traffic and all, but it’s not boring. I only got messed up once. Ended up on an off ramp I hadn’t intended to be on, then didn’t see how to get back on the freeway. I needed gas anyhow, so I asked the gas station guy, and he gave me what I thought were pretty confusing directions. Turns out they were pretty simple and away I went.

Really, who wouldn’t get a bit confused?

Photo kindly donated by google images

I had wanted to avoid riding the freeway through downtown LA, but it appeared there was no other real choice.

I bet you could store lots of hay in those buildings

Again, thanks google

Took the San Diego bypass ( Ok try to remember, stay on hwy 5, then take the 805, then turn on hwy 15, then back onto 5……... Stay on hwy 5, then take the 805, then turn on hwy 15, then back onto 5……… Stay on hwy 5, then take the 805, then turn on hwy 15, then back onto 5.)

Found a room in Chula Vista, where I will get insurance tomorrow and then cross into Mexico.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #87
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRSixfifty View Post
Great read Brian!

Thanks

See you at the Big BC Trailie #7 ( or #1, whatever its going to be called)
Old 12-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #88
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Buck View Post
Just discovered this! Great to see you on the road finally! We briefly met on BCBTR 6 near Farwell Canyon. I was riding a DR650. Afterwards I pm'd you to discuss Buells since I also own a red '09 Ulysses. Your trip is looking great, memories are being made. Glad you pulled it off!

Thanks. I am having a blast.

The BCBTR was great. Great roads (even the mud)

Somewhere near Gang Ranch

The BC Buell does mud

photo by inmate Prime

Farwell Canyon
Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #89
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Love this Brian.Found this yesterday and read thru it drooling over the pics.Thanks for all the pics,I know it takes time and energy to pull over and take them when sometimes you just want to keep going.Please keep up the pics for us riders who are unable to,or are too chicken to do what you are doing.
Thanks.
I am taking quite a few pictures for my personal journal, and just posting some of them here..

In a lot of areas a guy could pull over for pictures every 5 minutes. I am not doing that

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
P.S. Thank U Mrs.Brian for being such a wonderful wife
She's a keeper, all right!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #90
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT John View Post
Incredible ride report. Makes me want to shovel the snow from my bike and join you.
Have an awesome ride.
Hey Big Bro

Good to see you on here. Its dangerous here, though. You might end up with more bikes and start touring the world.

If you start digging snow now, you should be able to come down and meet me in the spring. All the spanish you need is cervaza and baño. Then you are good to go