Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #91
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToasterTech View Post
Enjoying your RR. Your opening paragraph resonated with my own desires for a long unscripted ride to far destinations with no schedule. But so like your experience until now, there is always something that jumps in the way.....Congrats on finally commencing on your trip!
I came up with the conclusion that the only way it will ever happen is to put everything aside and make it happen.Once I set a date, the rest all came together....well....sort of :)

Thanks
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #92
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
Hi Brian,

Enjoying your ride report and maybe run into you down south. I'm leaving Vancouver in 11 days and counting. It's going to be a little colder than when you left but I don't care because everyday I ride it's going to get a little warmer the closer I get to Mexico.

Cheers........
I am riding down to Cabo for x-mas with my daughter, then over to the mainland. I should be messing aound in Mexico for most of January. So, yeah, it would be great if I could see you down there somewhere.

Thanks for taking over the Big BC Trailie ride. I am hoping I will be back in time to take it in.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #93
NWT John
Frozen in the North

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Hey Big Bro

Good to see you on here. Its dangerous here, though. You might end up with more bikes and start touring the world.

If you start digging snow now, you should be able to come down and meet me in the spring. All the spanish you need is cervaza and baño. Then you are good to go
Yah its started already. I'm on the list for Big Trailie in September with my 600. I think its contagious.
The wife just shook her head and said Have fun Dear.
NWT John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #94
jimbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Boy, that was some winding road down through the valley and back out. Looks like a lot of fun for sure. Enjoying every post to the max.
jimbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #95
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day14 Dec 12 192 kms Chula Vista to Ensenada

After 2 weeks of riding around northern California in great weather, I get to Southern California and………

I needed to buy Mexican bike insurance, so I waited till 9:00 to hit the AllState insurance office…… and they don’t sell Mexican bike insurance. Crap! So she gave me directions to an outfit that does closer to the border. While I was riding along the main drag in Chula Vista, I saw a locksmith. I wanted to make a couple extra keys….. just in case, so I swing by to get keys made. Opens at 10:00. Crap! So I run down to the Mex insurance place, ride back to the locksmith and get there right at 10:00. Turns out the lady working there works in the office, and can do basic key cutting, but doesn’t have a blank to fit a buell, and doesn’t really know how to match it. Crap! But the technician will be back in about 20 mins so come back then. OK. So I run down to McD’s to borrow their wifi, look up what blank I need and show up back at the shop about half an hour later. Lady calls the tech. Going to be another half an hour. Crap!
I tell the lady what blank I need, and she can’t find one. So she tries matching it,talking on the phone with a couple of people. I tell her no problem, I can wait for the tech, but she really wants to help me.
She finally finds the right blanks, cuts me a couple keys, I test them, they work great. I give her her 8 bucks, thank her, and away I go.

The ride to the border is pretty damp, but I am stoked. As I am riding through Mexico, I have to get a tourist card and a temporary import permit for my bike. I figure the easiest way will be to do it at Tijuana. I figure there will be lineups at the border and it will take me time to do the paper work. So I get to the border, and the lines are very short and traffic is moving fast. I get in a short line, but must have been in the wrong lane as they were just checking the occasional passport and letting all traffic through. Well, this isn’t like crossing into the US from Canada. So now I am in Mexico, and I don’t see where to go for permits. Hmmmm. I look to see if there is a turn around lane. Nope. Hmmmmm. I understood that you don’t need a permit if you are staying north of Ensenada, so figure I will head there to at least get my tourist Visa, I also understand that I can get my import permit in La Paz before I cross over to the mainland. So, I’ll do that.
I ride to a Pemex that had a 7-11 attached to it and went in to use the ATM

Stopped at a beach along the way for some pics and the sun tried to come out.

Rode into Ensenada and had a look around. Wasn’t sure about a room and I had seen a sign just coming into town for a room for 300 pesos. So I went back to see about a room. It looked good, garage for my bike, looked nice. I rented the room and went in and looked around inside. Ohhhhhh…… I get it. Its one of those love motels I heard about. King size bed, weird furniture that I am not sure how it is used. Lots of dirty movies on TV. Oh well, its cheap and looks clean.

I went back intotown to el Centro for something to eat. Found a little place and got something that I have no idea whats in it but it sure was good.

While I was eating I was talking with a guy in my broken Spanish and his really broken English, and he was helping me organize my table, without me even asking. After eating I visited with him under the café awning while I waited for the rain to slow down a bit. We talked about Canada, Mexico, weather, my trip, rainbows (not kidding. they are called arco iris or something like that ) all with less than perfect language. I left, said adios, and he made a point of saying “bye” a couple of times, and made sure he was saying it right.

My fine dining establishment, to the right of the big restaurant, right above the minivans mirror.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #96
RevyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Excellant

Excellant Ride Report Brian, .....I am tuned in for the trip and wishing I was doing the same. Of interest, what are you using for a camera? Also, being unfamiliar with the Buell, what type of mileage do you get with it?

Have a great adventure!!!

Ron

98 HD FXDWG
Revelstoke, BC.
RevyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #97
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Great RR, Brian. Being from PG and currently snowbound, I'll be living vicariously through your posts here. Keep up the good work!

GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #98
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 839
Awesome! Gorgeous photos and a great RR!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #99
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day15 Dec 13 265 kms Ensenada to El Rosario

The clerk at the love motel I was in said that said there was wifi in the rooms, and there was, I just couldn’t log on in my room. Outside by his office, no problem. In my room, not so good. So I movd around the room with my iPhone trying to get a strong enough signal to log on. I found if I stood right by the window I could get a strong enough signal. So last night I just used my iPhone and my kindle 3g for any surfing. This morning I tried my netbook by the window, and I could log on, but only if I help it up fairly high. That’s not going to work well. So I got inventive and moved the side table over and put a garbage can on that and got the right location elevation and elevation to go online.

I went to customs in Ensenada to get my tourist card. No problema. The guy was real friendly and helpful. He told me I needed to go over to the bank to pay the fee, and points, so I grab my paperwork and head for the door, assuming the bank is very close. No no, he says, right there. The bank was in the same building, right across the lobby. Awesome.

Get that all taken care of and away I go, in the rain. Rode down to the port for a bit of a look, then up to the main road that said hwy1 south. The roads are really well marked, and then they are not. I rode around in town, heading south, not convinced I was on the highway. Moved over a few blocks, found the highway, and away south I went.

It was raining pretty good,, but traffic was light, so I was making ok time. I came up to a military checkpoint that wasn’t being used, and it had a roof, so I stopped to get out of the rain for a bit.

While I was there a few people stopped to get out of the rain, fix their wipers or check something on their vehicle.
While I was in there, the rain slowed a bit, so I saddled up and rode off. Just as I got out of the shelter, the rain picked up again. Awesome! At least it wasn’t too cold.

I guess they don’t get a lot of rain around there, as there didn’t seem to be much in the way of ditches or any sort of water control system. Lots of mud and ruts on the side roads and in towns. I hit some road construction ( no one was working, I assume because of the rain) and it was a real grease pit. Where there wasn’t mud, it was rough and pot holed. I rode through about a 5 km stretch ( felt like 10) and the trucks were doing about 5 kmh.

Rolled into some town and the road was flooded.

It didn’t look too deep, so I rode through, half expecting a bike swallowing pothole in the middle. No problem, didn’t even get my feet wet (wetter)

Got to El Rosario and stopped for a bite to eat. Great taco asada, ……..and cheap.

Met a few surfers there and BS’d a bit. One guy asked if my bike was a Buell. Turns out his dad had one.

Got a room at the Baja Cactus motel. Real nice place for 400 pesos. Friendly staff and nice rooms.

It was getting around supper time, and I had some groceries with me, so I tried something I had wanted to try for a while. I used the coffee maker as a hot plate. It worked about as well as you would expect. But I did get a fairly warm meal out of it…..after about an hour.

I did some laundry, and the drier got my clothes mostly dry. So I hung them up to finish drying.

Oh, and I have wifi…… but only in the bathroom.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #100
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Wifi in bathroom is called multi tasking
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #101
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,983
Looks like a great trip man!! If you wind up in Florida the first round is on me. Have a save journey!
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #102
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie View Post
Boy, that was some winding road down through the valley and back out. Looks like a lot of fun for sure. Enjoying every post to the max.
That road was a blast. About 10 milesjust like that. Hardly any traffic except for the occasional farmer driving through. It was, though, probably the only road in all of California with any gravel on the corners. Just had to watch it and pick the right line. It was awesome. I might have to buy my ducati back from my buddy and go there again:)
Old 12-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #103
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyRider View Post
Excellant Ride Report Brian, .....I am tuned in for the trip and wishing I was doing the same. Of interest, what are you using for a camera? Also, being unfamiliar with the Buell, what type of mileage do you get with it?

Have a great adventure!!!

Ron
The fuzzy pictures are taken with a P&S fujifilm waterproof, shockproof,dustproof, Brianproof camera my understanding yet somewhat frustrated wife bought for me for this trip.

back in the day I had a couple different 35mm SLR cameras, and finaly broke down and bought a Digital SLR for this trip. Its a Canon Rebel T3 and I have a 28 - 55 lens and a 55-250.

I have what I am assumig is a pretty good post process software that came with the camera. Thing is, I can't use it on my netbook as the resolution on this tiny screen isn't good enough.

Bike mileage varies with how I am riding. On this trip I have done anywhere from 200 kms (125) miles until my warning light came on to 270 kms (170 miles) I carry extra fuel, and today did 320 kms (200 miles) without stopping at a gas station. It will go farther, but I am not sure how much farther. One gas can is for fuel and one is for water.

I haven't been marking down mileage, but I hold 4 US gallons and carry 1 gallon
Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #104
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Great RR, Brian. Being from PG and currently snowbound, I'll be living vicariously through your posts here. Keep up the good work!

Thanks GISdood

weather hear is great, mind you all the locals are pretty bundled up as its cold for here. I guess its all relevent. In the mornings, they look at me funny when I am walking around in a t-shirt
Old 12-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #105
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
Awesome! Gorgeous photos and a great RR!
Thanks SoSlow.
I amj having a great tme and seeing lots of great stuff.