User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #121
RevyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Thanks

Thanks for the reply and info Brian, ...can't go wrong with a Canon camera and it seems as though the Buell is taking good care of you too, excellant mileage considering the varying driving and terrain!!

I am watching it snow out my front window here in Revelstoke, ...I am wishing I was down in Mexico right now!!!

cheers, have fun.

98 HD FXDWG
Revelstoke, BC.
RevyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #122
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission1 View Post
Right on for picking the Buell as your steed for this trip. They are great bikes and so overlooked. I've owned two and I can honestly say my 95 S2 was one of the best bikes I've ever owned. The sportster engine is bulletproof. You cant kill it, no matter how hard you try. But please try. . . it will make for interesting reading .
+1

The engines are pretty bulletproof. However, I have found that the rest of the bike does NOT appreciate being thown into a clay embankement at 40 mph. Let's not make this RR that interesting, please.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #123
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Mexican-Chinese food
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #124
Mission1
Twisted and confused

Oddometer: 89
What he said. . . Didnt mean to suggest you do anything stupid.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #125
Padaca14
Someday Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Brian I'm loving your pictures and reports. I had to laugh when I seen those pictures of the rain in southern California. It was so nice when you were here last week and IS still so nice here in Sacramento. You look like your having a great trip so far. Be safe and look forward to each days updates.

Padaca14
Padaca14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #126
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 305
Thumb Cool Buell

Quote:
Right on for picking the Buell as your steed for this trip. They are great bikes and so overlooked. I've owned two and I can honestly say my 95 S2 was one of the best bikes I've ever owned. The sportster engine is bulletproof. You cant kill it, no matter how hard you try. But please try. . . it will make for interesting reading .
Yeah, another +1 from me. I'm planning a very similar trip on my Uly for 2013. 2012 will be mostly North America. Good luck, Brian! Looking forward to reading more of your adventure!

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #127
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post
Great to see a fellow BC-er heading south a ride of a lifetime ... sin dudas

Thanks for sharing and muy buena suerte compañero!

Alberto.

Gracias Alberto. I followed your South America adventure from the beginning and thought it was great., mechanical difficulties not withstanding :)

Just met some more BCers from your neck of the woods (Island)just starting on a RTW.

And thanks, I may need some luck along the way :)
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #128
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
BC Brian, I am really enjoying your report, especially the awesome hot dogs, homemade by the butcher.
I hope the Buell is treating you well and that it has exceeded expectations!
Cheers!
Thanks. The Buell is doing great. And some of the main roads around here are a lot like offroading back home
Old 12-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #129
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
What he said. . . Didnt mean to suggest you do anything stupid.
LOL, Thanks I am real good at doing stupid all on my own, and even have the scars to prove it

But actully...... I am finding myself rding a lot more carefully here where I am so far from home, know no one and speak very little of the language. But, I am still having a lot of fun. Who'da guessed I could ride mellow and still have fun :)
Old 12-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #130
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padaca14 View Post
Brian I'm loving your pictures and reports. I had to laugh when I seen those pictures of the rain in southern California. It was so nice when you were here last week and IS still so nice here in Sacramento. You look like your having a great trip so far. Be safe and look forward to each days updates.

Padaca14
Sun is shining now and its warm and I even put on shorts...... at night.

I love Mexico!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #131
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post
Yeah, another +1 from me. I'm planning a very similar trip on my Uly for 2013. 2012 will be mostly North America. Good luck, Brian! Looking forward to reading more of your adventure!
Sweet. If I can talk the wife into, I might still be here then
Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #132
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day18 Dec 16 302 kms Guerrero Negro to el Tiburon

This morning, while loading the bike, I noticed a family packing up to leave the motel. They had some children with them. Before leaving Canada, I had stocked up on Canada souvenirs. Things like pens, pencils, stickers, stick in tattoos, lapel pins etc with Canada flags on them. I told the father, in my “me tarzan, you Jane Spanish “tengo regalos para ninos” ( I have gifts for children). He said, Si, Si, and called the kids over. He had four hijas ( daughters) So I gave them each a few things out of my goodie bag. They were very happy and I got muchas gracias all around. The parents spoke a little English, so they had them thank me in English. “tank u, tank u” it was very cute. The littlest nina ( about 7 years old) asked me my name. I said. “My name is Brian”, and asked “Como se llama?” ( what is your name) and she said in very clear English “ merry Christmas Rosita.
That was the start of our English - Spanish lesson. It was so much fun.

I headed out of town towards the East coast of the Baja peninsula. It was flat, straight road through the desert. Miles and miles of flat desert.

I could see off in the distance some hills, I rode and rode and finally got to some hillier country.

The roads started to get more interesting as it wound through the mountains and along canyons. Then the road starting twisting down and down towards the coast. I came around the last downhill corner, and there was the Gulf of California

Pulled into Santa Rosalia, and stopped at the marina.

Stopped in El Tiburon for a break and to by a coke, and there were a couple of kids in hanging around the store, so I bought them each a mini coke as well.

Headed down the road, with great intentions of riding for a couple more hours, came around the corner and saw this .

Hard on the brakes, pull in to check it out. As I was pulling in, I saw a couple of bikes loaded up for travelling. I hadn’t seen any bike travellers at all this whole time, so I stopped to talked to them.

They were both riding R100 GS’s and one was having some charging problems. I pulled out my multi meter, and it was only charging at 11.8 volts at high rev. That’s not good. He was going to have it looked at in La Paz.

Took a look around and decided I would stay the night.

I set up camp

View from my tent

Took a look around. There was a tidal lagoon that wrapped around behind my campsite.

There was another couple camping next door. Him on a GSA and her on a 650 GS single. They were on the beginning of a RTW and in absolutely no rush to get there. Taking their time, smelling the roses, with no actual plans to ever go home again. Sweet.

I visited with them quite late into the night
Turns out they are from Vancouver Island, and he had lived for a while in Kamloops, and knew all the same places that punk ass kids ride dirtbikes and jump off bridges and hang out as I did. Small world.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #133
prime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
a lot of riff raff goes through kamloops!Enjoying the RR, keep it up!
prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #134
MadScotsman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Thanks. I am pretty happy to be out here. I was riding down a crappy road towards an old lighthouse today, and thought, "Holy crap, I am on a crappy road riding towards an old lighthouse in freaking Mexico"
how cool is THAT??!!?!
In my mind, blowing!

I am having drink now to the fellow who stopped on the muddy BC road on his Buell to help a newbie who dropped his KLR! Thanks again man and keep the rubber-side down!
To ride is to be!
MadScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #135
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day19 Dec 17 480 kms el Tiburon to La Paz

I dicked around quite a bit this morning, enjoying the beach and getting packed up. Met a guy in a truck and camper from Vancouver Island, then visited with Steve and Lisa, on the BMWs for a bit, exchanged e-mails and headed down the road. I took hwy 1 down the coast, figuring it would be a more scenic ride, and it was. Pulled into Loreto for fuel and a look around. Loreto is nice. A bit more touristy than I have seen so far. But real nice. There was a big assed cruise ship in the harbor, but not many tourists running around yet.

Thanks google

The roads along the coast were great, up and down, following steep cliffs, and then back up into the desert.

Then through some canyons and valleys.

And back up onto the flats for a long, straight road to ciudad Constitucion. Constitucion is a pretty big place, and it was pretty busy, and I was OK for fuel for a while, so I thought I would get gas and a room in one of the small towns that showed on the map. It was getting to about the time I like to start looking for a room, so it should be OK, right?
Turns out there is only one gas stop between there and La Paz, and absolutely no motels. There ain’t nothing like winging it J Its about 220 kms from ciudad Constitucion to La Paz and as dusk approaches, the traffic slows down. Lot of skinny cows, horses and donkeys along the side of the road. I made a rule before leaving that I would try not to ride in the dark. Well, I got to La Paz just as it was getting pretty darned dark out. La Paz is a pretty darned big place, and I have absolutely no idea where anything is, so I am riding along in the almost dark, looking for a likely looking motel. I am not seeing much. So, now I am looking for anything I can find. La Paz is a pretty touristy place, and I am figuring rooms will be more expensive than the smaller towns I have stayed in. I go past a place that looks pretty nice ( nicer than I would usually stay, but the traffic is heavy, it’s a divided road, and I am unsure of how to get back to it. Not seeing anything else, and trying to figure out the system for one way streets, I get turned around and head back to the Hotel, hoping it doesn’t break me.

I go in, a bit afraid of what the price will be. Its 300 pesos ( about $22US) a night. Whoo hoo.