Old 09-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #451
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Hi

What is the main difference between this
"07-ON KTM, EXC HID HEADLIGHT UPGRADE" and the squadron?

Do you have anything that would work on an 09 EXC?

Thanks!

Neil
The HID upgrade uses a HID bulb and ballast
The light fill of an LED is better while still having decent distance but HID have a little more distance

Heres a link for the squadron ktm kit fits in the oem shell
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=660037
Thanks
Mike
BD
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #452
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
More throw usually needs deeper optics/refelectors, and many of the LED lights have very shallow reflectors. Deeper optics means bigger lights, so I'm sure BD has to balance all that.
Yes deeper optics is part of achieving more distance but you also have to take in consideration of how much you can drive a LED power wise, and then you have to think about heat because your trying to drive it as much as possible but don't want to damage the LED.
So it can become a very complicated process of how we specifically engineer our optics, circuit boards and our thermal heat management...but the technology with LEDs now are awesome

For those of you guys talking about more distance with an LED check out our new Onx LED light bar
it has the distance of an HID with the light fill of an LED!
http://www.bajadesigns.com/SearchByKeyword?word=onx

Please let me know if you have any questions about lighting
Thanks
Mike
BD
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 09-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #453
Ned Kelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
For those of you guys talking about more distance with an LED check out our new Onx LED light bar
it has the distance of an HID with the light fill of an LED!
http://www.bajadesigns.com/SearchByKeyword?word=onx

Please let me know if you have any questions about lighting
Thanks
Mike
BD
Wow, that sounds great! Looking forward to those pics you mentioned!
Ned Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #454
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
Wow, that sounds great! Looking forward to those pics you mentioned!
Hi Ned
Which pictures were you interested in?
Thanks
mike
Old 09-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #455
Ned Kelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
The illumination pics in same setting showing Onx vs Squadron so we can visualize the difference in the lighting characteristics. It would be nice to see spot, flood, etc in both Onx and Squadron if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
Hi Ned
Which pictures were you interested in?
Thanks
mike
Ned Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #456
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
just put the KTM kit into my 2011 Husaberg FE570s and it was plug and play and simple as pie. The fader works flawlessly and the light output is amazing. Great product.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #457
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
The illumination pics in same setting showing Onx vs Squadron so we can visualize the difference in the lighting characteristics. It would be nice to see spot, flood, etc in both Onx and Squadron if possible.
We don't have both beam pattern in the same settings.
The closest I have to that right now is a combo 1 cell Onx and a wide-cornering Squadron
Should have more soon
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #458
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 500
Well I got my light last Tuesday, on Wednesday I got my new '05 mask and dimmer Couldn't set it all up because I had the kids this weekend.

Since this was going on a D/S with an H4 candle as a headlight I had to cut the BD connector off. Looked over BD's site to determine which wire was + and which was - (duh, black is ground - and white is +). The install was easy enough once I had tested for the proper wires that supplied power from the bike to the dimmer and then from the dimmer to the light. Went through the setup procedure for the dimmer and set it on 30%. Rolled it outside and aimed it and the truck at the garage door to get an idea where it needed to be aimed.

All I can say is WOW! The light is great! I played around with the dimmer settings between 30% and 50%. Right now it's on 40%. So far on my commute I haven't had any issues from oncoming traffic or from blinding someone in front of me through their rear view mirror. With the Squadron set to 40% and aimed at about the same level as the truck, I have a very good low beam setting although without a cutoff I do notice that I illuminate road signs for quite a distance

For reference, I was the owner of Trail Tech X2 HID That light was very good for light but would blow bulbs and ballasts on a regular basis, leaving me in the dark on 2 occasions! This light is about the same @ 40% as the X2 was when I was running the 2" spot and a 40w ballast. @ 100% the squadron is every bit as much light as the X2 but with better fill and a bit more narrow focus. The X2 4" was wider but the lamp never seemed to reach full power. The advantages of this LED, instant on and dim-able make it an excellent choice. I know it is an off-road light and for that it is awesome! With the dimmer, and the fact that LEO has not yet cracked down on all manner of lighting that is clearly not DOT legal, I believe I have finally found a suitable headlight for my bike.

With the black mask and crappy cell phone pic it's not a very good photo but it's all I have at the moment.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #459
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Looks good with the black mask
Glad your enjoying the light have fun with it
Thanks for the support
Mike
BD
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #460
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
In the field report: I have really thrashed my BD Squadron offroad now for almost 1000 miles on my Husaberg 390, a lot of it very tough rocky, muddy, sandy offroad. It's been through lots of rainstorms and dustclouds, sat in the rain all day many times, been hammered in offroad getoffs, and it still works perfectly. It is an awesome nighttime trail riding light, as much as I will ever need since I don't race anymore.

The Skene Designs dimmer still works great and has been durable. The 'Alert' feature has worked really great with the super bright Squadron, to stop people who were going to cut in front of me from parking lots and crossroads. This is not a dis on the BD dimmer, I just couldn't find anywhere to mount the BD dimmer on my super-tightly packed Husaberg.

Quite a few KTM riders have seen my setup on group/event rides and want it now. I told them BD had ready-made kits to drop one in a KTM, so maybe a few have done it. Well worth it, fantastic light.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #461
MadMax
Marveling...

Oddometer: 411
Great light, but BD wiring harnesses don't match it.

I installed a single Squadron light on my Yamaha XT660Z. I put the yellow lense kit on it for daytime conspicuous-ness.

The light is super-bright, so I have it aimed slightly away from on-coming traffic. The light even illuminates reflective signs during the daylight, as I see the yellow tint of the light flashing off the signs as I approach. Take a look at the light bouncing off my car in full daylight. I am very happy with its power and build quality.

The only problem I experienced with this purchase was trying to get the correct wiring and switch kit for the Squadron light. Am I the only one who found the website a bit confusing when trying to order the correct wiring kit for this light?

The BD folks tried to be helpful and mailed me out a switch kit free of charge, after I ordered the wrong stuff, initially.
But the kit they sent, still did not have the correct harness connection to match the one on the Squadron light. I had to jury rig a connection despite the good intentions of BD.

So if you buy the Squadron light for road use, be sure to get a wiring/switch kit that fits this light's plugs, properly.

MadMax

MadMax screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 04:12 AM Reason: photo
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #462
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
still waiting on the comparison with the 8" light...
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #463
DirtRider....
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Will u be offering this in ktm orange???
DirtRider.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #464
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
So how does the SII Combo Light compare with the Double Strykr Vehicle Kit? Are they both approximatly half the output of the Squadron?
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #465
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
still waiting on the comparison with the 8" light...
The 8" HID or the 8" Onx