Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #31
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Day 5 big bend to creel

DAY 5 BIG BEND TO CREEL... ALMOST
Odometer: 20409

Nature called around 330 AM, so I got up and went off to answer the call... and as always when you get away from the city, was enthralled by the stars above... so many, so brilliant... I stared and pondered for a moment, looking at them all, wondering as men have for ages, if we are all alone... my mind contemplated if maybe, just maybe, we aren't alone, but maybe we are nothing more interesting than an Ant Farm of and to the Gods???? ;) Look how fun we would be to watch: wars, civilizations grown and burned, now flight and automobiles, space travel! Dudes and dudettes riding little two wheeled combustion devices and falling over a lot in canyons? I'd subscribe! :)

Arose at 7am, made hot tea and had some fruit and Cliff bar. Packed up camp and headed out... My morning blast off song? “East down and bound loaded up and truckin' we're gonna do what they say can't be done... we've got a long way to go and short time to get there... watch ol' Bandit run.....”.......................... You're welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6hGdPkn8Ow

The road out was the Old Maverick road. 14 miles of gravel/dirt/curves/washes... vast openness. Brilliant.

The sun was just coming up and it was getting warmer, so riding was enjoyable to say the least... I had gone half way, and seen no one. No sign of anything man made (road excepted)...

I got an overwhelming sense of just having the whole world to myself. The light on the hills, the scrub, the trees, the wind, the sun, the air. All mine. Even moving along on the bike, I felt a very comforting sense of peace and belonging, as I moved through the landscape... that feeling doesn't come often. Old Maverick Road was the best ride of my life..... so far.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #32
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Big Bend to Creel Part 2

DAY 5 BIG BEND TO CREEL... Part 2
Out of big bend, you head in a NW direction along the river. Plenty of twisties and scrub, high dessert areas. Very pretty, and not much in the way of development. I was zipping along, feeling the cold. I had had an issue with my heated grips, and now the throttle side wasn't working. I arrived at a look out over the Pecos River and decided to correct that issue. A bit of finagling, along with some electrical tape and I had warm hands again! The heated grips were a pain to install, but have definitely paid for themselves... $20 on sale at Cyclegear.

Apparently the bridge was built to help move materials for the World War II war effort. It replaced trails, tunnels and a ferry that you had previously needed to get across. The roads are still there, and you can take a boat trip along the river when it isn't the Winter season if you want... and I can tell you you want!

As usual, amazing views at the river and along the plains.

Did you find the train?

I stopped in a small store for some lunch, and from everyone's garb, you could tell hunting season was in full swing... these girls were totally cute, though I don't know about handing them a gun... the Grandfather was bilingual, but English was toughish, you could tell... Son was good at both, Girls defaulted to English but switched fluidly between the two. It was fun listening to them.

I finally get to Presidio and go to the local Presidio bank to change dollars to pesos... sorry sir, we don't do that here.... WTF? Fine, to the border we go.

I don't take pictures as I dont feel like starting out on the wrong foot going in... I got lucky going across... Immigration was professional and helpful, the teller at the bank (pay import fee, pay copy fee, pay bank fee, agree to pay more for not exporting bike, etc) was fast and efficient. I was through and gone in 30 minutes!

Finally MEXICO!!!!

I found a local cambio and changed some cash to pesos... should, as usual, have changed more, then headed towards Chihuahua city. Aaaaayyy, Chihuahua!

Rolling towards Ciudad Chihuahua (it is also the name of the state I am in), you hit a series of flat plains, followed by ridge climbs up the mountains... I crossed a whole series of these, easily 7-8.

I round the curve on one, and woops, there is a Aduana/Customs check point 50 km from the border... sneaky.

Young customs guy comes up and immediately asks about the motorcycle... what does it cost, what did you do to it, where are you going, I have a Hayabusa and a Rebel 200, etc and finally... ok, let me look in there. (points to hard case) Fine, Amigo, no problema! Has a quick look, then back to motorcycles bonding time... I escape only when another truck comes, and I almost thought he was going to wave them through... “ok, you can go.” Gracias 'cause I gotta make some time! :)

Alas, even though I am making good time, it is not enough and night closes in... the wind starts gusting... I am going West, the are going North and things get cold and scary...

I stop at a rest stop and a random dude in Mexgas truck asks “Where are you going amigo?” I say Creel and he stops and says, “Amigo, that is dangerous.”
Me: “Er, why, because of animals on the road?”
Him: “No amigo, because of the mafioso. The boys will be out tonight...”

Enough said. I was cold and tired and knew I shouldn't be on the road anyway...

Half an hour later it is Bienvenidos a Hotel del Parque, in Cuauhtemoc!http://www.hoteldelparque.org/

Creel, however lies 2 hours down the road... I'm not gonna meet up with Boulderguy and sjeproductions....
Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #33
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6 Cuauhtemoc to Creel...

Day 6 Cuauhtemoc to Creel...

I'm jumpy, so I wake up at 3 am in the nite... surf the web, write some stuff... plot, plan and basically turn in circles... the usual when stuff is bugging you... I nod off to sleep again eventually... and awake at 530 and start packing... I had to wait till 7am to get my deposit back... and it turns out I was in mountain time, so the wait was longer than I expected as my watch and computer were in Central time... woops.

I had the receptionist call the hotel in Creel where Boulderguy and sjeproductions were staying.... Ok. I know some Spanish, but fluent, not even close. Apparently you need verbs for that, who knew. I could tell something wasn't right, but not enough to know exactly what... she told him the basics then just said “Si” too many times... no me gusta.

I got on the road knowing I had done all I could.
Here is what the road looked like from my perspective... not good.

I rolled towards Creel, and things improved... kinda.

Snow? Really? Really. I knew it was cold but still....

Motored through some small villages... kinda twistie. Went through one where the early morning smoke layer reminded me of pics of LA back in the smogy 70's. Everything smelled nicely woody. I rode on.

I get to Creel eventually. I am at the hotel discussed (I think) when the “manager” finds me.
Conversation, with loose interpretation a given:

Him: You need a room?
Me: No. Looking for some amigoes on motorcycles, you seen any?
Him: I will show you.
Me: Eh? Ok, good.
Him: Follow me.
Me: Bueno.
We go into the hotel, he opens a door to a room.
Him: Here is your room.
Me: Aaaaaah, looking for my buddies... one on a motorcycle, nero (black), the other on one, naranja (orange).
Him: Ok, here is your room. How many nights? They stay too?
Me: Gotta go.....

OK, there were communication issues. However he was helpful and got me to their OTHER hotel... where I stumbled onto this:

Followed closely by this:

Got a lot of electrical widgets you like to run? Better have a battery monitor! At least we know what to get him for Christmas.

That was how I met The Professionals.

Boulderguy chatted with me and explained the route and what to expect... very good overview...

We blasted off after I warned them of my skill level... or lack there of. :) Hey, somebody has to provide the entertainment!

Joke, but no joke. Boulderguy and SJEproductions know THEIR stuff. Been to Copper Canyon, done that. Doin' something different this time. IF they offer up another trip, jump at it. They know their sh*t. Respect the people, respect the land... chill. It will be majestic... really. Plus, you will laugh. A lot.

We got moving and amazing beauty and views were at every turn.

We arrived at the train stop at Copper Canyon... amazing overview.

Bridge built of railroad ties... glad it is not wet.

Very large roadside Memorial for a loved one...

Very typical trail/road for the area, smoother than most, actually.

… and million dollar views everywhere else!

Old 12-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #34
Ritebike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Awesome RR Gentri, maps of Copper Canyon and surrounding areas please. So stoked for you, can't wait to hear about it when you get back.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #35
sjeproductions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Lucky for you....

I managed to capture a few ummmm, let's just call them memorable moments from our ride together which should really help round out this portion of your trip report quite nicely!!!

Let me be the first to say, you road the sh!t out of that DR650!!! I look forward to heading out on future adventures with you mi amigo!! Look for pics tonight.....
sjeproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #36
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
DUDE! You are living a DREAM!
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #37
bikefree
misadventurer

Oddometer: 278
What an amazing trip Gentri. Once you get settled, we need to ride together.

Joe
F**keye

Bart Simpson

bikefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #38
sjeproductions
Gnarly Adventurer

it was our density...

A little back to the future reference for those paying attention...but when I think of all the emails back-and-forth with Gentri before this trip started and his ill-fated first cold start, I didn't know if meeting up would really happen. BoulderGuy and I left CO as planned and headed for the border. After two solid days of cold, cold, cold weather riding (I'll save that for another ride report) we hit Creel on schedule and after a long night of sleep, I awoke to find an email from Gentri telling me he was only about two hours behind us. Hot damn, he was on his way!!

He asked that we leave the name of our next hotel at the front desk of our current hotel and would try to either meet us in Creel or catch us that evening. I honestly didn't think it was going to happen, but BoulderGuy and I decided we'd leave the note and see what happens. As we loaded up the bikes, I heard a voice in the courtyard that was distinctly not...ummm, how should I say this...local. I stepped out of my room into the courtyard and got my first glimpse of Gentri!! Holy crap, what time did you get started?? 7:15am!! God damn, I liked him already!!

So, as Gentri noted, BoulderGuy had a bit of technical difficulty in the AM. So with a bit of pushing and a hotel on a downhill run, we got the 950 fired up and ready to go. I asked Gentri quite clearly "are you sure you want to saddle up to this trainwreck?" He never hesitated.

So, the good news about the technical delay was the temps had been slowly creeping up and BoulderGuy showed his thanks...

So, after changing layers, we set out from Creel with Urique as our destination. We'd see some miles of sweet twisty tarmac before pavement turned to dirt, which would be our home for the next three days....Gentri wasted no time heading out to the front.

After warming up for a bit, we stopped for some scenic picture taking, route discussion and some proper dirt preparation on the DR...

BoulderGuy offering some thoughts on what exactly, I'm not sure.

Properly prepared, we hit dirt and Gentri (as I noted above) stuck to our wheels like glue...

Snacks always help...

With some food in the system, we set out for the second half of day one, but I'll save those details for later and let Gentri take it from here!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:10 AM   #39
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb The plot thickens....

sjeproductions is just waiting to pounce!

Should get up 2nd installment tonight.... awesome supplement!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #40
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,444
I'm sorry
I was blinded by the CHROME

Ride on and stay warm man----- Skype worked great while down in Mexico. Highly recommend to everyone traveling to at least have an account.
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #41
BoulderGuy
out ridin'....

Oddometer: 433
Someone is up early and already posting at 4:10 AM. More trip report please!
BoulderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #42
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,794
I like it.
It's great to see a guy so honest about his year and then so open about his ride.

Moar!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #43
bikefree
misadventurer

Oddometer: 278
Boulderguy and SJEproductions know THEIR stuff. Been to Copper Canyon, done that. Doin' something different this time. IF they offer up another trip, jump at it. They know their sh*t. Respect the people, respect the land... chill. It will be majestic... really. Plus, you will laugh. A lot.

I like the quote = Respect the people, respect the land...chill it will be majestic.

Bart Simpson

bikefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #44
sjeproductions
Gnarly Adventurer

Copper Canyon sort of speaks for itself....

Gentri and me as taken by BoulderGuy....

Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #45
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
WOW!
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote