Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #61
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Cool2 DAY 7 PART 2 or GENTRI AND THE RIGHT HANDED DOWNHILL LOOSE STONE SWITCHBACK TURN OF

DAY 7 PART 2 OR GENTRI AND THE RIGHT HANDED DOWNHILL LOOSE STONE SWITCHBACK TURN OF DOOM AND THE MAGICAL MERMITE CASES.... OR F*ING SWITCHBACK TURN NUMBER ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY SEVEN AS I LIKE TO CALL IT.......

FYI to the reader, all the following pictures should be credited to Boulderguy... I was way to busy falling down and holding on to take any pictures... and my aplogies for being slack... slack for not posting in a timely fashion and for throwing in some picture repeats... my system obviously needs some work... but here we go again anyway!

Day 7 had lots of fun things in it, starting right off with the slippery long ass river crossing, and the hits kept coming. For me more literally than for Boulderguy and sjeproductions. We had some lovely areas that we motored through leading up to some of the tougher terrain of the trip... and switchbacks and switchbacks and more switchbacks... I am running Shinko 705s, and this was the day that I paid for my laziness... knobbies would have helped!

You will continuously see livestock out and about around here. Most of it is not penned up or usually in such quantity... beware, they, like the honey badger, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lv6KfGoQ_w don't give a sh*t about personal safety!

Speaking of a lack of personal safety... let the switchbacks begin!

Just amazing what lies around each turn....

This is a fairly tame section of the road.

Then the real fun begins......

Wait for it.....

Patience... soon enough... wait for it....

. and down I go. :) Having so much weight on the back def made the might DR650 squirrely in the turns... and not to be mistaken with the local Squirrelygirl, whose butt looks nothing like a DR650.... or so I've been told!!!

There is more digital chaos to come, as I know Sjeproductions has been waiting in the wings to pounce! ;)

A little SJE action!

We finally reach the bottom of the canyon and it is some fairly tame riding, compared to the downhill, riding to get to Batopilas... I did get scared out of my wits, when a construction truck barreled around a turn 50 feet in front of me and honked... I've never gotten off a road faster or come closer to the edge the whole trip, and almost took a header as I grabbed a handful of front brake... not good Gentri! I had to stop and catch my breath after that one.

Some of us even take advantage of the local moto wash!

But we made it into town and to our hotel

and celebrated with a few cold beverages...

CHEERS!

Old 12-20-2011, 02:54 AM   #62
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGuy View Post
Gentri- Great trip report! Keep it coming! I'm missing CC already looking at your photos. CC is funny. It's really an addiction sort of. It's such a beautiful place and the experiences down there will last a lifetime. Now on to more trip report! I especially want to hear about the switchbacks of death.......
Hey boulderguy! I try to explain and just send people here to look at pics... totally amazing when you are standing in it! Used a ton of your pics for update as I was too busy trying not to fall down, and we know how that went!

Thanks for putting up with me and I hope I am doing the ride justice.......
Old 12-20-2011, 03:04 AM   #63
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh I know, right!

ATLviking: some muttering matters more than others! I am very fortunate that I was able to go, it was amazing.

bowie: would love to go again, and if you get the chance, do it. Boulderguy and Sjeproductions are super knowledgeable and great guys to travel with, and have said they are willing to share knowledge of the area, the canyons are stunning and the locals nice... not much to say against it.... except I would trailer to border (Big Bend Natl. Park should be on everyones bucket list) next time! More on that later

Gentri in GA screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 05:20 AM Reason: more info
Gentri in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #64
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 893

Wowies! What pretty pictures! It looks like you had an awesome time! I'm soooo jealous!
Just from my perspective, I think my butt does look prettier than then the DR650, just take my word for it.

I'm glad you went! Living the dream! How was Mexico? Warm? Sunny? not a lot of traffic? the exact opposite of Atl?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #65
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,438
Maybe next time with about 15-20 degrees warmer
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #66
sjeproductions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
I am clearly behind...

Gentri, I would say I am more lazy then ready to pounce with additional photographic evidence of some mayhem that may or may not have taken place, but I promise to correct that situation ASAP!

Look forward to doing it all again in 2012!
sjeproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #67
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb It was awesome... but cold.

The cold was the worst of the whole trip... although the canyons were much warmer and had the best weather of the whole trip... the 3/4 day return trip was miserable weather.... fog, rain, cold, rinse, repeat!!!

Heated grips, big gauntlets and windproof jacket/pants saved the day... traffic was crazier than Atlanta and the rules MUCH different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl View Post

Wowies! What pretty pictures! It looks like you had an awesome time! I'm soooo jealous!
Just from my perspective, I think my butt does look prettier than then the DR650, just take my word for it.

I'm glad you went! Living the dream! How was Mexico? Warm? Sunny? not a lot of traffic? the exact opposite of Atl?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #68
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukata View Post
Maybe next time with about 15-20 degrees warmer
Yes please!!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #69
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking No worries....

You've seen my pace, so I feel ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeproductions View Post
Gentri, I would say I am more lazy then ready to pounce with additional photographic evidence of some mayhem that may or may not have taken place, but I promise to correct that situation ASAP!

Look forward to doing it all again in 2012!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #70
BoulderGuy
out ridin'....

Oddometer: 433
Those switchbacks were nasty! Like I told you and JSE, that road was completed last spring and when I last rode it in March it was in great shape. Not such great shape now....Hell, there were a few times that day that I was thinking I missed a turn or something cause' none of the route even looked familiar, especially when we got to those gates. All I was thinking was "JSE and Gantri are gonna kill me when I tell them we're lost." Now, more trip report please!
BoulderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #71
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh DAY 8 Batopilas to Parral - The REV hits the road solo

Day 8 Batopilas to Parral

The Reality escape vehicle hits the road solo.

I had entered Mexico via Presidio, TX and the process had been pain free and swift. I had caught a break and managed to find Boulderguy and Sjeproductions in Creel, which had lead to some of the best riding and sight seeing of my life... They had to turn North to head back home, however and I, unconstrained by having a real job currently (the fun is over and the hunt begins Jan 1!), decided to motor on East....

For some reason I had a hankerin' to see Monterrey.... you know, from the song “Do you know the way to Monterrey....” ;)

I know' I know.... wrong lyrics!!. Curse you Dionne Warwick and Hal David!

http://youtu.be/zsHwVRL06R8

Boulderguy and Sjeproductions decided to turn NW and re-ride a small section of the trail before trying some new way home! I wished them well as they headed off and tried to pack all my stuff back up...

Less really is more... but whatever!

My route would take me out of Batopilas in a NE direction, past the small town of La Bufa, on local trails before intersecting with blacktop.... the road was decent and the views once again, epic!

Do you see the couple sitting on the rock?

Better now????? ;)

Gotta mug for the photo device sometimes

I am pretty sure this path is used to go down to the river to get water, as it was WAY too small for any form of motorized transport, and there were some houses further up the hill... everybody around here must have lungs of steel!

View from further out:

Who is that handsome devil?

The day was amazing as I motored on up into the hills towards La Bufa... which I am pretty sure would translate into “the bluffs” if I could be bothered to look it up...

Aptly named, if so:

It was an interesting rock formation, very “smooth” looking.

I motored on, until I rounded a curve and found a road block in my way... a very mobile and cute roadblock at that!

But no matter how cute they are, any animal you see out here represents a threat... it is always in the back of my mind what happened to (sigh. Can't find his thread) in Mexico when he had an animal encounter go way wrong and was paralyzed... it did not have a happy ending and is a cautionary tale, like so many others we hear about... but let us not forget the lesson taught at his expense...and may he RIP.

Ok, enough Debbie Downer...

I got around the 4 legged roadblocks and kept on rollin'! Tons of awesome scenery and switchbacks galor...

LOVING. IT. ALL. Happy that I made this trip happen!

OK, this is a fun one.... can you see the farm? Yup, even way the F up here, not a stream in sight... no roads... these guys really, really like their privacy!

Mega zoomed in:

]

and their view includes this...

Not too shabby!

OK, people not in the know say that I was nuts to go to Mexico... even nuttier on these trails on a motorcycle... I say fine, you MAY have a point, but what is THIS GUYS EXCUSE!!!! LOL!

3 large work trucks, then this guy came rumbling along... I got the heck out of the way! He drove it down these “roads”!

I can just imagine the HELP WANTED ad for that job... “ Crazy a** m*ther lover wanted to drive cement truck, must have death wish and good Life insurance for family. Cannot be afraid of heights or scenic views that plunge out of sight to your death. We provide burial plot. Must bring Psychologist cert to interview. We can come to you if still locked up at Funny Farm.”

heehee. I kill me sometimes! ;)

Anyyyywaaaay.

It is also good to make sure that the Virgin de Guadalupe has got your back... although I think belatedly in this case... too many of these things around here!

I b rollin'....

I finally come around a turn and find tons, literally, of caterpillar heavy machinery... looks like the road is being extended and the switchbacks are to be straightened out soon....

After I get through the construction zone, the gravel/dirt path turns to twisties... an awesome 14+ miles or them, where I see exactly 2 other vehicles... it was way, way fun! :) and many speed limit signs went un-observed!

At this point, the scenery tightens way up and the day starts to wane. I have to jam on it as I am headed to the city of Parral as my way point/goal for today's ride.

Time to bust a move now, so not so many pics...

Some parts reminded me vaguely of So Cal hills and scrub brush....

I lose the light but finally make it to Parral and find a hotel... took way too long! Nite!

Gentri in GA screwed with this post 12-22-2011 at 11:44 AM
Gentri in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #72
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,634
thanks for the awesome pictures and inspiration!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #73
NightShadow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
What a great ride. The scenery is Fabulous.
NightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #74
Mission1
Twisted and confused

Oddometer: 89
Mexico

Great report. Thanks for the adventure.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #75
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,169
That Urique water crossing?

Sometimes you can find a local pilot to guide you across.

From Mexico 2011