Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #76
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
Sometimes you can find a local pilot to guide you across.

From Mexico 2011
fun pick. would have worked too!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #77
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Day 9 Parral to Saltillo

My lame ass is back for a grand finale! Been a lot of this goin' on lately!

HAPPY 2012 EVERYONE, AND ALL THE BEST IN THE NEW YEAR.... LETS ALL RIDE SAFE, YA'LL!

DAY 9 Parral to Saltillo

One thing I can say about Mexican cities, is that the street food rocks, and then rocks some more. I didn’t take any pictures of the vendors because sometimes I really don’t feel like being a tourist… I know I’m a tourist, THEY know I’m a tourist, but I like to hide behind my façade for a bit! 

I wandered around after checking in to the hotel and in quick succession, around the main square, had a spicy corn dish, small beef tacos with yummy salsa fresca and a coke, and 2 tamales from in front of the church… total cost was 53 Pesos for everything… a little more that 4 bucks… can’t beat that.

The corn dish was amazing… they buttered the cup, added a dollop of sour cream and cheese, then hot corn, cayenne (as requested), topped with more butter, more sour cream and cheese, and squeeze of lime… BEST. THING. EVER.

Parral was a nice little surprise to me…

I was completely lost the night before and had stumbled onto the Hotel Chihuahua. It cost me 170 Pesos for a cold ass room with a hot shower, no TV. Clean and acceptable.

Semi secure parking included! 

…and near the Plaza Central with its beautiful church, all dressed up for Christmas…

Sometimes timing is everything… look who is going to church! LOL

I wandered around taking pictures in the morning, getting some cash from an ATM then needed to bust a move towards the East…
But ran into a local festival/dance of local indigenous NOT of Spanish decent I suspect….

Leaving city was easier said than done, as I got really lost… this photo is from “I don’t know the f*** where I am…”

Interesting structure in a round about leaving the city:

Then I road a long open way, into the State of Durango… and on….

Until my light faded…

Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #78
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 10 Saltillo to Monterry

DAY 10 Saltillo to Monterrey

This day was grim, and got grimmer. Rain, fog, slick roads…

only bonus was Monterrey wasn’t that far… But it took far longer than I thought to get there.

I started out blasting along Mex 54 to get to Monterrey. Then rain started. Traffic slowed… and slowed… 10 mph max… and then in the space of 3km I saw 9 wrecks… the 2nd one had a F150 twisted into a ball under an 18 wheeler… with its occupant lying peacefully on the pavement below it… nothing like seeing a fatality wreck up close to help express how dangerous things could be on the road… I rode on… Carefully and Slowly.

I made it to what I thought was Monterrey and was completely, completely lost… then I saw a Harley dealership…  Then I got invited to a party!

I know right? Awesome things happen at weird times for me! What did I have to lose?! We are all riders, right?

I was right. The Harley dealership guys went totally out of their way to help me figure out where I was vs where my hotel was… maps, diagrams… speaking VERY slow, simple Spanish… they were most awesome….

A big thumbs up to the folks at Harley Davidson Motorcycles of Monterrey dealership in general, and to Arnoldo Chavero in particular. He, his floor staff, and then later (false alarm) his garage staff were all polite, helpful and totally willing to help me! Muchas Gracias Arnoldo y Amigos de Harley Davidson Monterrey!

But anyway, I mentioned a party, right? So Arnoldo has just squared me away on where I am vs. where my hostel is… I am getting ready to leave the dealership… I am standing outside. Wet. Rain coming down. In a strange city… and I get invited to a party. Go f*ing figure that one out.

So, the gentleman who invited me was El Ingles… or The Brit.

For the jury, Exhibit A:

This is in Spanish FYI (and my Spanish has issues)

Ingles: “ Hey Amigo, we are having a party, we have a band, you should come!”

Gentri: “Eh? Party? Beer? Ok! eeeeh, I mean Bueno!”

Sure, why not. Not every day in the pouring rain do I get an offer to go hang out with a group of motorcycle riders in Monterrey, Mexico!

Bring on the party! And motorcycles!

Do you see a dual sport in there? 

And motorcycle jackets!

Some were having more fun than others!

Ok, it was cold. I was wet. I had no motel yet… I thought I had an oil leak… I left early.

Summary: They were having a group moto meet up to get toys, household goods, clothes and whatever together for a local orphans group. They formed a line and moved stuff to trucks for transport. There was beer. There was food. It was wet. It was COLD… the band’s stuff was so wet they couldn’t play… don’t know what chaos would have ensued if it was dry, but for dang sure I wouldn’t have left…

But I thought I had an oil leak, so I did. Back to the Harley dealership. My imagination. No leak. Thank you, AGAIN, Harley Davidson Monterrey.

So I left to find my hostel…… and then found that my hostel was for rent… cerrado. Closed. I was cold. Wet. Lost… Screwed.

I had passed a hotel on the way down the hill to the hostel… so I went back up… Hotel El REY… The King, baby. Pink champagne on ice… sorry, mixing my metaphors now…. Later.

// Hip grind.

Expensive (relative to country) but right place, right time, RIGHT NOW!

DONE.

A bed fit for a KING.

And gooood night world!

Gentri in GA screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 08:05 PM Reason: stupidity
Gentri in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #79
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 872
Looks beautiful Gentri, just finished and can't wait to hear about the trip in person.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #80
BoulderGuy
out ridin'....

Oddometer: 433
That bed is hilarious!
BoulderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #81
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGuy View Post
That bed is hilarious!
That bed was COMFY!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #82
Gentri in GA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh The end

Monterrey Mexico to the good ol’ US of A then home to Hotlanta was a long trip, and weather was a little nutty… and then some….
Monterrey was a beautiful city, but unknown to me the National Soccer Championship was being held there… lots of tourists about and it rained most of the time… but in the end the city of Monterrey rejoiced as their team, the Tigers, went on to win it all!
As enjoyable as it was riding in circles in Monterrey (seriously crazy driving IMHO) I finally had to make a run for the border, as insurance and $$$ were both about to run out… Time to leave the KING.

I departed Monterrey Mexico on a day like the one that brought me here…

I kept on keepin’ on till I got to Nuevo Laredo border crossing… it was complete chaos compared to where I had come into Mexico… people driving, biking, walking back and forth across the border…

Only to find that the US was Closed for the day… ok, maybe not. 

Some paper work and waiting in line later, I was over and back on US soil, literally, deep in the heart of Texas!!

I motored on and on and on…. Nasty weather…. To San Antonio

Stayed at the Bullis Inn overnight…

One more overnight in Alabama after San Antonio and the weather finally got better….
I finally arrived after a 600 mile day in Hotlanta, happy to be home, but sad my awesome adventure was over…. Sniff.

Time for

THE END