User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 306
Thumb Mexico to Costa Rica

So I just finished a ride down the PCH and over to Phoenix. I am storing my bike in Phoenix until Jan and taking two week to ride from AZ to Mexico. I will then be storing my bike in Mexico(I have a safe place) for two weeks. When I return to my bike I have a month off to drive to Costa Rica.

So in short the plan is AZ to Mexico(La Paz) two week ride store bike for two weeks

Mexico to Costa Rica for a month and then either store bike or ship back to states.

Please give me info!!! What do I need for bike paper work? Bike papers(carnet)?I am mainly solo anyone want in for parts of trip or know of sketchy areas? My Passport expires in Nov 2012. I here renew six months prior so I see no issues but just checking.

Getting bike serviced in San Diego and new sneaks so I will be ready for the whole trip. How is the Mexico border? Better to cross any one place than another? Please provide any info you have. I will know my exact dates in the week.

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get back to my bike.
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
no carnet needed in sa.
get you mexico bike import paperwork in la paz at the ferry and pay the import fee.
http://www.bajaferries.com/
http://rollybrook.com/vehicle_permits.htm

6mo tourists visa not avail. in tecate so use another entrance.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
Driftin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
You will only need your drivers license, bike registration and title and some patience to get in to CR. They will issue a temporary "tourism" permit, usually good for 90 days. Have several copies of everything ready. They will also have you buy some insurance of course.

As far as storing the bike, no problem. You would have a problem if you wanted to ride it after the 90 days expired though. I do not know of a way to extend the time without leaving the country with it and re-entering. You could have it shipped with no issues but the "visa" to operate it would be expired.

As far as no go areas, San Jose is ok during the day, if you absolutely have to be there. Traffic sucks, less so on a bike though and you can lane split. Don't drive at night, there or anywhere, unless you know the roads you are on. The tourism areas are all safe if you keep an eye on your stuff, don't act like a target and keep some situational awareness. Since we are coming in to the high season the crooks are working these areas and looking out for crimes of opportunity provided by tourists.

The off-the-beaten- path areas are usually pretty safe since there is generally less to steal and less people to steal from. Bear in mind that the EMS and rescue systems we have here are nowhere near as capable and prompt as those in the states so err always on the side of caution.

If you have a Garmin GPS you might want to check out map programs from EZ Find. I have it loaded on my Zumo 550 and it is very good.

Let me know if you need any more information.
Driftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftin View Post
You will only need your drivers license, bike registration and title and some patience to get in to CR. They will issue a temporary "tourism" permit, usually good for 90 days. Have several copies of everything ready. They will also have you buy some insurance of course.

As far as storing the bike, no problem. You would have a problem if you wanted to ride it after the 90 days expired though. I do not know of a way to extend the time without leaving the country with it and re-entering. You could have it shipped with no issues but the "visa" to operate it would be expired.

As far as no go areas, San Jose is ok during the day, if you absolutely have to be there. Traffic sucks, less so on a bike though and you can lane split. Don't drive at night, there or anywhere, unless you know the roads you are on. The tourism areas are all safe if you keep an eye on your stuff, don't act like a target and keep some situational awareness. Since we are coming in to the high season the crooks are working these areas and looking out for crimes of opportunity provided by tourists.

The off-the-beaten- path areas are usually pretty safe since there is generally less to steal and less people to steal from. Bear in mind that the EMS and rescue systems we have here are nowhere near as capable and prompt as those in the states so err always on the side of caution.

If you have a Garmin GPS you might want to check out map programs from EZ Find. I have it loaded on my Zumo 550 and it is very good.

Let me know if you need any more information.
you need a passport to travel through CA.
crossing info
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689844
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Good info

Everything is in line with the info that I have and I appreciate it. I plan to have several copies of everything and also email it all to myself. I think the two week Mexico run will be a good trial run. I have a passport my only question on that was that it being within a year of expiring. I am going to try to get a new one but it doesn't expire until 11/12 so I am thinking that I am good.

Keep the info coming. I wish I had more than a month but it is what it is. any input on shipping my bike back or leaving it in storage for the summer then getting it in the fall?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Driftin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Correct. You will, of course, need your passport but do not need a visa for CR. You will most always get a 90 day visa stamp on entering. I am not aware of the need to have six months on a pp to get in, that may be only for the airlines. You do not want it to expire here for obvious reasons but should it be lost or stolen you can get a replacement at the US embassy in Pavas, a San Jose suburb.
Driftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Quikegeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
Everything is in line with the info that I have and I appreciate it. I plan to have several copies of everything and also email it all to myself. I think the two week Mexico run will be a good trial run. I have a passport my only question on that was that it being within a year of expiring. I am going to try to get a new one but it doesn't expire until 11/12 so I am thinking that I am good.

Keep the info coming. I wish I had more than a month but it is what it is. any input on shipping my bike back or leaving it in storage for the summer then getting it in the fall?
If you don't mind to share space with this two chicks.. I asked them, and they said it was ok.

Quikegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
JackL
T plus 16 months

Oddometer: 435
Riding South

AK Smitty, I'm leaving California in early Jan, riding into Baja. Crossing from La Paz and then all the way to Costa Rica or Panama and back up to Texas. I'll be on the road for 3 - 4 months. Drop me a line.

The Big Trip (aka Le Grande Tour), Year 1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585393

6 months in Europe on a Duc
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217104&highlight=jackl

JackLs Thailand/Cambodia Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=jackls

JackL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,655
Regarding your passport. Just go to the nearest Post Office and they can advise you or if you are near a passport center, go there.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikegeo View Post
If you don't mind to share space with this two chicks.. I asked them, and they said it was ok.

I like options and two chicks is one my favorite options! Logistics, logistics, logistics. Cant wait to be on the road.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackL View Post
AK Smitty, I'm leaving California in early Jan, riding into Baja. Crossing from La Paz and then all the way to Costa Rica or Panama and back up to Texas. I'll be on the road for 3 - 4 months. Drop me a line.
Sounds like I may be a little behind you unless you drag your feet. I land in AZ on Jan 11 and plan to head to SanDiego that for an appointment at the BMW shop on the 12th. Then head south on the 13th. Not sure how any of that looks in your plan but always nice to cross the border with someone. Thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
Catours
Guatemala Tourer

Oddometer: 153
Antigua, Guatemala

AK Smitty,

If you make it towards Antigua, Guatemala on your way down, feel free to stop by Moto Cafe and share some stories with fellow motorcyclists, join us for a ride, or just have a beer or cigar. Either way we look forward to hopefully meeting you.

Safe riding!

Chris and Dave from CATours

Moto Cafe
6a Calle Oriente #14
Antigua, Guatemala
14°33'19.50"N
90°43'52.43"W

Chris
Marketing Guide, CATours
info@catours.co.uk
CATours Website
CATours Facebook
Our TripAdvisor page
Our Twitter page
Catours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
chinchinete
Learning to fly

Oddometer: 45
CR storage

Drop me a line if you need storage space downtown San Jose or Atenas. You could leave your bike in one of my places. I am going south next Friday. I hope to cross Mexicali Jan 02 and arrive home in CR Jan 25. Let me know

Cheers
chinchinete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb Hay Smitty

On that vehicle permit it is good to have a visa or mcard otherwise a cash deposit of $300 is required and returned when you cancel the permit. Make sure you keep the recipt as returning to Mexico can get complicated if you fail to surender the permit. Captain Tom
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonman View Post
On that vehicle permit it is good to have a visa or mcard otherwise a cash deposit of $300 is required and returned when you cancel the permit.
It's $400 for his '11 F800 (in fact, any vehicle '01 and newer), and that is charged whether using credit or cash. Credit card rules changed this past summer.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote