Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
JoMa OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Norway... camping?

Hey you guys!

I think of planning a trip to Norway in 2015.
The main question for me is -> go for camping?

I recently did a 5-week trip through UK and used only B&Bs for 2 reasons:

1) I didn't have any camping gear at all. Buying the complete set of tent, sleeping bag, etc would be quite expensive.
I guess for the standard kit I'd play at least >1-1,5k USD

2) I shared my 1150GSA with a friend, there honestly wasn't any room for more equipment. Of course we noticed through the trip that we didn't need a lot of the staff we packed. (First real trip so very common mistake I suppose )

I guess the densitiy of bed and breakfast facilities isn't as good as in the UK. To be honest.. a bed would perfectly ok with me, I didn't go for the breakfast most of the time anyway.

My main concerne with the idea of not going for camp:
Missing a whole lot of amazing experiences.

What are your suggestions for Norway?
Camping?

Do you think it's possible to pack all the gear for 2 people on one bike?

Thank you guys for any help
JoMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:09 AM   #2
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Norway's terrific & super beautiful! Instead of camping, ya may wanna look at hostels, here's some (there's others too) https://www.hihostels.com/search/hostels?q=norway

But it'll cost ya, it's NOT a cheep place to visit.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,744
Plenty of "hytte" (small very basic huts/cabins) can be found almost all over Norway, and those may not be so expensive. Only July/August some tourist spots may have no free cabins, but otherwise they are usually available even without pre-bookings.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
If you want to camp in Norway, you need a really good tent, sleeping bag, etc. Camping is free but weather is... cold.
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
el centavo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Recommendations

B&B or Hotel is quite expensive in Norway. If you really don't want to buy a tent you can stay in small cabins called 'Hytter'. They have room for up to 6 people. Nearly every camp ground has them. Norway is about staying outside and live within the nature. So if you sleep in hotels you will miss a lot of the 'Norway feeling'.

Two recommendations from my experiences of the journey in 2006. First bring at least your own sleeping bag and pillow (if needed) as most of the cabins don't have bedclothes. Second bring you own cooking pot if you want to prepare hot food. When I was there I had everything from top notch cooking ware to dirty and crusted pots where I even wouldn't boil any water in it.

Anyway have a nice and save trip.

el centavo
el centavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Just got back from Norway, a couple of suggestions:

As others have said, most of the campgrounds also have huts, but a couple of notes about them:
1) the huts are often not very cheap, as in more than $100 bucks a night. Sometimes cheaper, but...
2) the quality of huts varies wildly, from a simple wooden shack with a bed to something more like a hotel room, with kitchen and bath.
3) most of the huts didn't have linens, so bring a sleeping bag.
4) most of the huts had a hot plate, if not a stove, so you cook in them.
5) the number of huts is limited, so unless you've booked ahead, if you want one you should plan on ending the day earlier rather than later, by which time all of them might be occupied.

If you bring a tent, make sure it will hold up in high winds, mine almost blew away at Nordkapp.

Also, there is a good map available at many Norwegian campgrounds showing many of the campgrounds in Norway, which is helpful to have.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Turre
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Notice that not only campgrounds have "hytter" but many individuals also have 1 or 2 in their backyards.

Also, with a tent, you are not limited to campgrounds. Scandinavian countries allow camping in forests etc., with certain limitatitions. Obviously you are expected to clean up after you, "leave no trace". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam
Turre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
colstrumpet
n00b

Oddometer: 8
My wife and I traveled Norway 2-up on our 955 Tiger in August this year. High season is over by mid-August, surprised us too. We used hotels on the 1000 mile mainland Europe shlep and had intended to camp all across Norway. We camped one night, it rained 10 hours straight. We had a good tent and kit so were dry and comfortable but it's cramped in a 3 man tent with all the bike gear inside keeping dry. The good news is the Hytter are plentiful but variable. Take sleeping bags as there is a charge for bedding and you have to leave the hut as clean as you get it, sleeping bags just makes it easier. You'll need some pots and utensils but keep it simple. The huts have hot plates or even a cooker & microwave in the communal kitchen areas. Hotels are silly expensive and eating out can be v. pricey too. The supermarkets all carry the same stock, it's a bit pricier than the UK but not stupidly. One thing we did notice is all meat products and fish tend to be in saver packs. I assume all Norwegians have big families and / or big freezers. We sometimes had our menu dictated by what was available in sensible portions for two rather than what we fancied. It will rain (another advantage of the huts over a tent). It's awesome countryside, take a good camera for landscapey shots, we just had an iphone and it's limited abilities reduced its use to snap shots where the scenery deserves so much more.

colstrumpet screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 04:30 PM
colstrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote