Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #31
sledneck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
Done that, ah that was when I was a Gorilla. Now the cut off is -10 for skiing or snowmachining, just isn't fun below that. -24 today in Fairbanks, and clearing, its gonna Drop.

I could make a wildly stereotyped but Safe Bet.

Any Granny Gone Wild, like Cea, who I know (She is an AKAirhead) and the HayDuchess who I woundn't know from Adams off Ox, and most all the Sourdough Inmates of the AK Asylum!

QUALIFY as Characters.

That is why they are worth knowing,
-10 is chilly, but oh man it sure is beautiful when it's that cold! Happy New year.
Attached Images

sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #32
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearloe View Post
Dear ADVriders,

my cousin and I are newbies to Alaska, but determined to explore the Dalton and Dempster Hwy in summer 20012.
Hmmm. You believe in planning W-A-A-Y ahead, don't you? You might wanta wait 'til just a couple centuries before that time and ask for more up-to-date info. But that's just a suggestion.

Since Her Orneriness, The Duchess of Hay has seen fit to offer her loquacious responses (multiples, in fact) let me warn you that she is actually correct on rare occasion. You just never know when that might occur, so it's best to take the advice of other respondents. Especially replies from writers who refer to those of us who are chronologically-enhanced with a greater degree of the respect we deserve.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #33
Bearloe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hi Alcan Rider,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Hmmm. You believe in planning W-A-A-Y ahead, don't you? You might wanta wait 'til just a couple centuries before that time and ask for more up-to-date info. But that's just a suggestion.
yes, I do plan ahead, and I love it. Riding the route on the map, collecting valuable information from books, brochures, Internet bulletin boards - I think this is part of the tour, because it lets me escape the drab German winter for a while and dream of my bike tour in Alaska.
But you are certainly right - nothing can beat up-to-date information, and I trust that this board may provide some when the time comes. Moreover, the rental company can surely fill me in with news as to the road conditions.

BTW, following your threads have been very inspiring to me - thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Bearloe
Old 01-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #34
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,838
I have a stack of 2011 Dalton Highway visitor guides left. Email or pm me and I'll send you one. Don't think it'll change much in 2012. Lots of good info. www.alaskaleather.com.

Thanks, Barb
Old 01-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #35
AK Bob
AKAM

Oddometer: 212
Escape The German Winter?

And your comming to Alaska in the summer..

OK I can see that.

AK Heads:

This is from the opposite corner of the country! Some of them got long sleeve T shirts on! Probably Bitching about the Cold!

Bunch of Wanna Be Riders.

http://gearheadgrrrl.com/

Bob Da C
Your AK Airmarshal
'84 R100rt
'88 R100gs
AK Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #36
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Hi Alcan Rider,

yes, I do plan ahead, and I love it.
Apparently you missed my lame attempt at humor. Your initial post refers to a date 18,000 years in the future. Obviously a typo, but in my geezerly state, I just couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, planning ahead for a trip like yours is not only a good idea, but the anticipation also lets the fun begin months before the wheels even begin to turn.
Haul Road Primer
Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #37
Bearloe OP
Adventurer

road assistance?

Hi Alcan Rider,

Quote:
Your initial post refers to a date 18,000 years in the future.
oops, naaah, I don't plan that far ahead really .
Ashamed of my typo, I deleted one digit.
But tell me, please. The rental company insists that riders have road assistance insurance, but neither the German ADAC nor the American AAA issue road assistance insurance for rental bikes.
Can you (or any other friendly person) advise me which company I should contact?

Bearloe
Old 01-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #38
Bearloe OP
Adventurer

Hi Barb,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARB View Post
I have a stack of 2011 Dalton Highway visitor guides left. Email or pm me and I'll send you one. Don't think it'll change much in 2012.
that is very kind of you. I send you the details in a pm.

Quote:
Lots of good info. www.alaskaleather.com.
I have already made it a point to come by and buy some necessary gear from AlaskaLeather. So keep an eye out for 2 German motorcyclists in late July .

Thanks

Bearloe
Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #39
slammer218
Slammer

Oddometer: 121
[QUOTE I have a stack of 2011 Dalton Highway visitor guides left. Email or pm me and I'll send you one. Don't think it'll change much in 2012. Lots of good info. www.alaskaleather.com.

Thanks for visitor guide to the Dalton. Will make sure we stop in for a visit in june.. Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #40
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck View Post
-10 is chilly, but oh man it sure is beautiful when it's that cold! Happy New year.
Sledneck - you sure know how to set-up a mighty fine winter campsite.

I bow to your obvious winter camping talent. It looks like you would be able to hunker down in a wind storm and stay warm and cozy in your tent. I have to admit I'm kind of a wimp in that regard. I can get out and ski most of the day in sub-zero temps, but I sure prefer a nice warm cabin at night.

You're absolutely correct about it being really beautiful when it's cold outside. I enjoy seeing the snowflakes sparkle and shine in the sunlight, or moonlight, and hearing the snow crackle and crunch when we break trail. And it's so peaceful and quiet when deep snow blankets everything! Here's a photo taken along Ship Creek, after we broke trail through deep snow from the top of Arctic Valley Road down to the creek. I haven't seen this much snow down here in a long time, and it was at least -16 at the creek. I had to quit taking photos after I froze my fingers!

Happy trails to you! Do you ever ride on the Johnson Pass trail or Resurrection Pass trail? We'll be on both of them again this winter, at some point. I would LOVE to ski the Johnson Pass trail traverse sometime. We skied up Center Creek last year and that was fantastic!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #41
TeacherDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I am in the beginning of planning a ride north and have looked for links to Maps of BC, Yukon, NWT and Alaska that riders may have used. Does anyone know of any, or can direct me to them?
Thanks!
Dan
Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #42
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherDan View Post
I am in the beginning of planning a ride north and have looked for links to Maps of BC, Yukon, NWT and Alaska that riders may have used. Does anyone know of any, or can direct me to them?
Thanks!
Dan
If you get a copy of the Milepost it will have all those, plus information on a mile-by-mile basis of all major routes north of the US/Canada border. You don't even have to get a new one. The highways don't change that much, so if you know someone who has a copy two or three years old it will serve the same purpose.
Haul Road Primer
Old 01-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #43
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange

Oddometer: 441
You can also find gps files here. Some for roads...some not.

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #44
sledneck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayDuchessLives View Post
Sledneck - you sure know how to set-up a mighty fine winter campsite.

I bow to your obvious winter camping talent. It looks like you would be able to hunker down in a wind storm and stay warm and cozy in your tent. I have to admit I'm kind of a wimp in that regard. I can get out and ski most of the day in sub-zero temps, but I sure prefer a nice warm cabin at night.

You're absolutely correct about it being really beautiful when it's cold outside. I enjoy seeing the snowflakes sparkle and shine in the sunlight, or moonlight, and hearing the snow crackle and crunch when we break trail. And it's so peaceful and quiet when deep snow blankets everything! Here's a photo taken along Ship Creek, after we broke trail through deep snow from the top of Arctic Valley Road down to the creek. I haven't seen this much snow down here in a long time, and it was at least -16 at the creek. I had to quit taking photos after I froze my fingers!

Happy trails to you! Do you ever ride on the Johnson Pass trail or Resurrection Pass trail? We'll be on both of them again this winter, at some point. I would LOVE to ski the Johnson Pass trail traverse sometime. We skied up Center Creek last year and that was fantastic!
HayDuchess, I have absolutely no winter camping talent! Just some good gear. I am getting back into it this season after about a decade off. That photo was new years at Crescent Lake. My friends were staying at the cabin. I prefer to stay in my tent :) I ride Johnson Pass a bit but kinda lost interest after Divide and Bench Peak were closed to motorized. We use our sleds for skiing. Divide has some incredible terrain! I plan on a trip to Resurrection this year after a little more snow. It's still pretty bony over there. I have some great photos from SledSkiing Turnagain this week, but the forum won't let me post photos anymore (?). Sorry for the thread poach!

sledneck screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 12:53 PM Reason: spelling
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #45
richardak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:

We think Motoquest (Anchorage) is a good place to rent the two bikes from. Or do you have any other suggestions?
Another new rental business in Fairbanks is http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730815. It could save a few days rental depending on what your plans are...
richardak is offline   Reply With Quote