Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #286
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
Pictures would be, of course, utterly awesome, sir.
Not being an electrical engineer I decided to go with this kit just to simplify the process. Everything is fused protected and you can choose between all switched
or 2 switched and 1 constant.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...3_circuit.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #287
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Maxvert, I bought the Woody's Wheel Works cush hub and think it is worth the money for longer trips. I've seen high mileage 500 class machines with the splines on the output shaft rounded off needing replacement. Case splitting time. If you do a lot of miles that has some road involved this can save you headaches down the road.

Stu
+1000, even if I keep repeating myself...

Show me a high-ish mileage powerful KTM/Berg that has been dual sported, and I'll show you a worn countershaft that requires splitting the engine to replace. Cush hubs are a good investment, period.

RAD and Haan are more bling, but OEM (stock on older LC4 640s will fit all 125-660) works fine. Avoid Talon as they use an inferior damping system.

525:

530:

570:

We'll see the same thing happening on the 500 when they start accumulating enough miles.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #288
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Lukas's statement above is absolutely correct. Over time the driveshaft takes a beating. It's my 525 shaft in the pic and after a few hundred hours I noticed no wear on the shaft. However once it started, the wear progressed pretty rapidly. The 525 shaft had 470 hours on it in the pic.

The upside is that most people don't hold onto their bikes that long and so most new owners will not need to worry about it. its the second hand buyers on bikes with more than a few hundred hours that will have to weather the storm at some point (or if you're lucky enough to log good hours on the bike). The driveshaft itself is not expensive ($126 on the 525), its the hassle of splitting the cases. However most of us can't leave well enough alone and end up wanting to get inside the motors at some point anyway for modifications so replacing the shaft is no big deal at that point. I only have my shaft to go by but it took 470 hours to look that horrible.

Lukas did you notice a change in throttle response to the rear wheel with the cush hub? I've only ridden one big bore dirt bike single ( RFS ) motor with a cush and it felt somewhat lacking in a direct feel between the throttle and rear wheel. However it was a quick spin on a bike that I was unfamiliar with so not sure if it was the bike set-up (jetting) or cush hub altering the connection in comparison to my own bike. The 500 has a wonderful feel between the throttle and the rear wheel (due to FI and the lightweight crank compared to RFS motors) and not sure if my concern of the cush hub altering that connection is warranted or not.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

team ftb screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 02:33 PM
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #289
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
I've seen high mileage 500 class machines with the splines on the output shaft rounded off needing replacement. Case splitting time. If you do a lot of miles that has some road involved this can save you headaches down the road.

Stu
Have you seen a '12 or '13 model 500 exc/xcw (or 350 for that matter) with worn output shaft splines already? I've seen pictures of the wear on the pre-'12 models, but these new bikes have the rubber dampers behind the clutch basket, and I'm wondering if they have been PROVEN ineffective.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #290
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 892
Any Data Points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Have you seen a '12 or '13 model 500 exc/xcw (or 350 for that matter) with worn output shaft splines already? I've seen pictures of the wear on the pre-'12 models, but these new bikes have the rubber dampers behind the clutch basket, and I'm wondering if they have been PROVEN ineffective.
A good question. I've not seen any high mileage 12/13 500 motors yet. My 9 month old 500 only has 70 hours so far. Mostly all off road and most of the off road riding has been with the stock rear wheel rather than with the WWW cush hub.

FTB -- I have not noticed much difference in throttle response with the cush hub and without. As the rubber spacers wear I might. If I do get that "sloppy" feel I will replace the rubber spacers.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #291
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Aux Power Setup

Ok, due to popular demand, here is the auxiliary power circuit & photos for items like grip heaters. Remember, the problem we are solving is voltage drop. It is common to pick power off a headlight circuit to power items like grim heaters. The OEMs use small wire to power their headlights since they care little about the amount of light we get. This is further proven by the quality of lights they provide. The point is, with small wires, you may have 12 vdc at the battery but maybe 11 at the headlight. The more power you pull the worse it gets.

These photos are from my 500 EXC.

Here is the schematic...

The circuit starts at the battery. Look for the red wire. The wire is protected by a circuit breaker. This item is available at the auto parts store for about $4. Use std blade connectors protected with some heat shrink. A wire for the negative side runs from the coil attach point on the frame forward as well. It is not a good idea to run power thru steering head bearings. It looks like this...

The wire runs forward along the RH side of the frame to the headlight area. It terminates in a terminal block. I use term blocks to make it easy to connect all items plus replace damaged items like a damaged grip heater this weekend). The term block is mounted onto a bracket on the fairing. It looks like this...

The power is controlled by a relay (available for $4 at the auto parts store) that is controlled by the key switch on the EXC. If such a key switch is not available (like on an XCW) other methods could trigger the relay. It looks like this...

This brings extra power up front for anything. The switch for the grip heaters is mounted near the LH grip so I can flip it with my thumb. I made a bracket from alum angle & mounted it on an extra mirror mount like this...

I pull power from the term block to run my GPS & what ever else desired.

I hope this helps.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #292
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:

FTB -- I have not noticed much difference in throttle response with the cush hub and without. As the rubber spacers wear I might. If I do get that "sloppy" feel I will replace the rubber spacers.

Stu
Thanks Stu for the feedback. Just picked a used 640 cush drive hub off Ebay for $20 as there were no other bidders. Either that or the thing is shagged so badly its hardly got any life left in it or it'll crumble like a poorly built Lego set.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 AM   #293
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Used 640 Hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Thanks Stu for the feedback. Just picked a used 640 cush drive hub off Ebay for $20 as there were no other bidders. Either that or the thing is shagged so badly its hardly got any life left in it or it'll crumble like a poorly built Lego set.
Look carefully for cracks on the internal webbing and around the bearing supports. Also check the holes where the spokes mount to the hub. Cushioned hubs usually bring good money. If you get a good one for $20 you are very lucky!

Stu
Old 05-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #294
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
+1000, even if I keep repeating myself...

Show me a high-ish mileage powerful KTM/Berg that has been dual sported, and I'll show you a worn countershaft that requires splitting the engine to replace. Cush hubs are a good investment, period.

RAD and Haan are more bling, but OEM (stock on older LC4 640s will fit all 125-660) works fine. Avoid Talon as they use an inferior damping system.

We'll see the same thing happening on the 500 when they start accumulating enough miles.
Great discussion.
I don't currently own a KTM but obviously the problem exists in other makes with RFS type thumpers.
The pictures you posted are excellent and illustrate the output shaft spline problem very well.
What I would like to add is that the damage (IMO) isn't limited to the output splines. When riding on paved surfaces the hard hitting (non dampened) power pulses effect everything in the power train. From the piston wrist pin to the tire tread.
In regards to a clutch damper;
I don't know about the KTM clutch damper springs,the clutch cush spring spacer washers in the Huskys hammer out and drop steel pieces into the oil and are no substitute for a rear wheel cush hub.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #295
Stu
Buffo Maximus

July '13 Dirt Rider 500 Report

Dirt Rider apparently wanted to give the Best Of The Year award to the 500 EXC again. They must have felt that no bike, no matter how deserving, doesn't get the BOTY twice. They did say, racing the 500 EXC in a hare scramble, "There is a reason the 500 EXC is so popular; it works great just about everywhere. With plenty of power and surprisingly capable handling (given the number on the scale and the fact that the bike is street legal), this KTM is an awesome option. ... Nothing is perfect buy, boy, this bike comes close!" One rider commented that if the 500 were kept at just below full race pace it was a less tiring bike to hare scramble than 2-strokes. That brings you closer to placing than fading at the last.

Most interesting was the comment, "We've heard there are some substantial changes for 2014 to the EXC, and we can't wait to see what KTM does to improve on greatness." Greatness! That sums up my '13 500 EXC.

Stu
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #296
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Dirt Rider apparently wanted to give the Best Of The Year award to the 500 EXC again. They must have felt that no bike, no matter how deserving, doesn't get the BOTY twice.
Thanks for the info, and is good to know that we are not the only ones thinking that our bike is awesome!
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #297
positron007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
I don't know about this thread. I have a 2012 350 EXC-F. I do not think that these new KTM's make good "dual sport" bikes, in the truest essence of the term. To me, they are just too "hard edged". Once you gear a new KTM down far enough to be great in the dirt, they become nearly useless on the pavement. If you leave them geared tall (14/45 stock, on my 350), they are so uncomfortable on the pavement that they just don't make sense.
Surely the 500 EXC has quite a bit more torque than the 350 EXC, so I'd imagine the stock gearing should be ok on the 500 in the dirt, probably also depends of the type of trail riding you are into.

positron007 screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 12:08 AM
positron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #298
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by positron007 View Post
Surely the 500 EXC has quite a bit more torque than the 350 EXC, so I'd imagine the stock gearing should be ok on the 500 in the dirt, probably also depends of the type of trail riding you are into.
No way you're going to use the stock gearing (15/45) in the dirt. Stock gearing is only to get the bikes into the country and meet CARB/EPA (sound levels) emissions specs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #299
positron007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
No way you're going to use the stock gearing (15/45) in the dirt. Stock gearing is only to get the bikes into the country and meet CARB/EPA (sound levels) emissions specs.
That was poorly phrased I meant 14/45 as stated by the other member. I know many probably wouldn't be happy with that gearing, but for my application that would be fine.
positron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #300
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Hard Edged

Gplassm,

Some of us, but certainly not all of us, like hard edged bikes whether street bikes or dirt bikes. We live with compromises to enjoy them at peak performance. A 500 EXC geared 15/48, with a better saddle, a cushioned hub and larger gas tank would make a very capable dual sport if you want the ultimate in performance and handling off-road. Geared 15/50 it should be pretty well ready for the TAT. Some inmates have gone the other way and made their DR650/DR400s, as an example, more dirt worthy and they live with those compromises while apparently slanting their needs toward more hard surface riding.

The 350 EXC is a bike that could be considered for DS riding but this is a thread about a different bike, the 500 EXC.

Stu