User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #61
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,498
Good post, enlightening, but this part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
was fully intending to give me a ticket until I read/ showed them the specific clause in the motor vehicle code that nullified their reasoning. Yes, I drove with the California Vehicle Code in my car. Even highlighted the specific passage for their elucidation.
I call bullshit. If an officer already has it out for you based on some kind of prejudice, there's no way roadside lawyering would ever help make that kind of situation better. Even in the unlikely event the facts giving rise to the violation allow for interpretation, wouldn't a cop rather maintain his dignity, give you a ticket, and force you to plead your case in court? I can't believe a cop who'd already gone to the trouble of pulling you over and who already had some kind of prejudicial animosity toward your ethnicity would stand there and allow himself to be so pedantically corrected.

"Sir, I pulled you over because my radar gun said you were 10 over the limit, but your awesome knowledge of the traffic code totally nullifies my reasoning...have a nice day"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.

kawalaser screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 04:14 PM
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #62
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Not if you're black. Certainly what you say has NOT been my experience.

I have never NOT been polite but i've never received a warning. And i'm polite to everybody, from janitors and fast food workers to DMV employees, customer service reps, (even the ones in India) even beggars and homeless people. It's how I was raised. Read the wiki on Ubuntu.

Of course, i'm black. I grew up in Africa.

I was having a housewarming at my place years ago when, somehow, the topic turned around to getting traffic tickets and how many everybody had, how many they had gotten out of and how many warnings they'd been given. Someone noticed that I was not contributing and asked me my experiences. They (mostly white, but some latinos. I was the only black person) were horrified when I told them I had never been given a warning, had never gotten out of a ticket, in light of the stories many of them told about what they were doing when they got pulled over, or how drunk they were, or how they didn't have a seatbelt on.

I, on the other hand, get pulled over, and get a ticket. No matter what I was going, no matter how polite I was.

EDIT. I take that (last sentence) back. There have been a few instances when I was pulled over and not given a ticket. In those instances, the officer who pulled me over was fully intending to give me a ticket until I read/ showed them the specific clause in the motor vehicle code that nullified their reasoning. Yes, I drove with the California Vehicle Code in my car. Even highlighted the specific passage for their elucidation.
thank you for that post. I mean that in all sincerity.

Being the silly white boy I am, I thought Ubuntu was an operating system. Now I feel more enlightened.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #63
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,693
Getting back on course, somewhat...

Just back from getting graphics today. The graphics are subdued until the light hits them just right.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #64
STFU
Found

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROMVADER View Post

NOICE!
Interesting computer and software they have there, I wonder if there is more info on that?
XR250R
TR200 FATCAT!
STFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #65
jonnytorch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
I've been driving P.D. cars since 1984. The late 80's Caprice, Dodge Charger V-8's and the Chevy Police Tahoe were the best vehicles I ever drove for daily patrol assignments. One of my first cars was a Dodge with the 440 engine...I'm not sure what model, I do know it wasn't a Diplomat. The Dodge still had the "bubble gum" lights rather than the one piece light bar. The Chevy Malibu was the biggest piece of shit police vehicle I was ever assigned. The Camaro was the best traffic enforcement four wheel vehicle I ever drove. The Mustang was fun but rode rough and was even more cramped than the Camaro. I reached a speed of 158 mph during a pursuit on a wide open highway in the Camaro.

I really want the new Chevy Detective special they came out with this year. Won't happen. I'm stuck with my Crown Victoria.

I think that would have been a Dodge Monaco.
jonnytorch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #66
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Not if you're black. Certainly what you say has NOT been my experience.

I have never NOT been polite but i've never received a warning. And i'm polite to everybody, from janitors and fast food workers to DMV employees, customer service reps, (even the ones in India) even beggars and homeless people. It's how I was raised. Read the wiki on Ubuntu.

Of course, i'm black. I grew up in Africa.

I was having a housewarming at my place years ago when, somehow, the topic turned around to getting traffic tickets and how many everybody had, how many they had gotten out of and how many warnings they'd been given. Someone noticed that I was not contributing and asked me my experiences. They (mostly white, but some latinos. I was the only black person) were horrified when I told them I had never been given a warning, had never gotten out of a ticket, in light of the stories many of them told about what they were doing when they got pulled over, or how drunk they were, or how they didn't have a seatbelt on.

I, on the other hand, get pulled over, and get a ticket. No matter what I was going, no matter how polite I was.

EDIT. I take that (last sentence) back. There have been a few instances when I was pulled over and not given a ticket. In those instances, the officer who pulled me over was fully intending to give me a ticket until I read/ showed them the specific clause in the motor vehicle code that nullified their reasoning. Yes, I drove with the California Vehicle Code in my car. Even highlighted the specific passage for their elucidation.
Don't know if that is a City thing or a regional thing you've got going on there. I can honestly say that I have never written a citation or made an arrest based on someone's ethinicity, nor do I condone such action. Experiences such as yours give all in my profession a black-eye, deserved or not. The area where I work is mostly white and hispanic, maybe 1 percent black. As far as trouble makers are concerned, it seems to fall accordingly, white most, then hispanic, and least of all black. Skin color has nothing to do with the stats here, just sheer numbers. I feel sorry for you to live where you do.

-Joe

Old 12-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #67
STROMVADER OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
Getting back on course, somewhat...

Just back from getting graphics today. The graphics are subdued until the light hits them just right.

-Joe
That looks really good. We have a local PD that has one all decked out. Word has it the new police chief is ex military.
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #68
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
That looks really good. We have a local PD that has one all decked out. Word has it the new police chief is ex military.
Our Chief isn't, but the Captain was Army, the Lt, was Navy, and three Corporals are all former Marines. The guy we had from the Air Force resigned.

-Joe

Old 12-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #69
STROMVADER OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
Our Chief isn't, but the Captain was Army, the Lt, was Navy, and three Corporals are all former Marines. The guy we had from the Air Force resigned.

-Joe
You near a base? The local PD that has the humvee is very small, so it's kind of a joke around the area. I also heard they got it dirt cheap.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #70
Alijonny
ADVENTURERERERERERER

Oddometer: 129
If you look at CVPI's go for a post 2003 model. Iirc, the intake and head design is better on the newer engines. Plus they sound better and the wheels look to sit farther out of the wheel wells, giving it a tougher look. If it's a pre 2003, at least make sure the intake manifold has been replaced with one that has an aluminum coolant crossover.

I own an auto repair shop with my dad and we got the Federal Housing Authority police cars as an account. They were passed down police cars, but I usually enjoyed working on the 2003 more than the 98 and 99's they had. Then they got handed down FBI K-9 Durangos. those were all murdered out (everything black, even the windshield).
When I would test drive the cars after repair, it was amazing how courteous people were! Come to a 4 way stop, you were the first to go. No issues with anyone weaving in lanes, everyone wearing seatbelts (caught a couple reaching over their shoulder like I couldn't see), even the garbage truck drivers gave me a wave as I passed by!
Alijonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #71
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
You near a base? The local PD that has the humvee is very small, so it's kind of a joke around the area. I also heard they got it dirt cheap.
Try FREE.

...well...they will let you borrow it for nothing, but say on some of the stuff that they may...MAY...want it back after X# of years.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #72
STROMVADER OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alijonny View Post
If you look at CVPI's go for a post 2003 model. Iirc, the intake and head design is better on the newer engines. Plus they sound better and the wheels look to sit farther out of the wheel wells, giving it a tougher look. If it's a pre 2003, at least make sure the intake manifold has been replaced with one that has an aluminum coolant crossover.

I own an auto repair shop with my dad and we got the Federal Housing Authority police cars as an account. They were passed down police cars, but I usually enjoyed working on the 2003 more than the 98 and 99's they had. Then they got handed down FBI K-9 Durangos. those were all murdered out (everything black, even the windshield).
When I would test drive the cars after repair, it was amazing how courteous people were! Come to a 4 way stop, you were the first to go. No issues with anyone weaving in lanes, everyone wearing seatbelts (caught a couple reaching over their shoulder like I couldn't see), even the garbage truck drivers gave me a wave as I passed by!
Good information. I'm looking at 03'+ models. I've seen some 05'-07' models with low mileage (100k) and am aiming for something in that range. I want a black and white to be specific, black ends, white middle.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #73
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alijonny View Post

03 was also the first year for the newer front suspension, the coil over shocks are not necessarily an improvement in my mind (harder to replace shocks), but the change to rack and pinion steering is a definite plus.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #74
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,317
I will say everyone here who is either a civillian who owns one that is trying to sell it, or a car lot who bought an ass load from the auction wants WAY WAY WAY too much for them. STUPID amounts. I need to take my buddy who can buy auction cars to one of these auctions and buy myself a nice Detective car.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #75
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Good information. I'm looking at 03'+ models. I've seen some 05'-07' models with low mileage (100k) and am aiming for something in that range. I want a black and white to be specific, black ends, white middle.
Something else to keep in mind...the wheels. The older wheels with less holes around the perimeter were recalled by Ford due to cracking, however, this was done based on VIN, as the wheels have no serial numbers to track. The later wheels, with more vent holes around the perimeter of the wheel face, were not part of the recall, if I remember correctly. Departments with large fleets often interchanged wheels from car to car, so there was no means of knowing for sure which wheels were affected by the recall and which weren't. This only applied to the Pursuit rims with the small center caps. The traditional wheels with full wheel covers, like on most detective's cars, were not affected.

My '05 had a set of the bad wheels, even though by VIN, they had already been replaced. I found out when I had a chronic flat tire with no puncture. Once the tire was dismounted, there was a large, visible crack near the bead lip.

-Joe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: